Hipp

Lucyboo

Reaction score
We are still on the first milk, does anyone use the goodnight milk or follow on milk? I don't really get the difference? Is it worth trying ? Our LG isn't the biggest milk drinker so wondering if it's worth changing X

If you compare like for like the first milk and follow on milk of the same brand the only real difference is the added vitamins and minerals in the follow on milk. It is intended to help if their diet does not necessarily replace those nutrients that they would have had from the bottles that they have now presumably dropped.

We have moved onto follow on milk as it is the same cost. Although my Lo has quite a balance diet I was keen on the extra iron in the follow on milk as he is not having a lot of meat at the moment. X

Thanks for that, I have been trying to look online for comparisons but doesn't tell you much, I was wondering about more nutrients etc as she really takes so little milk usually 6-7oz, 5-6oz and 6-8oz she only tends to show she is ready for the afternoon bottle but then still only takes around 5-6oz. If there isn't a huge difference I might stay for now with the intention of changing to follow on soon as she also doesn't have a great amount of meat/iron x

The only difference in the follow on milks is extra iron, the other nutrients are the same.
Follow on milk was purely created to get around the laws preventing the advertisement of first stage milks. They can't advertise milk aimed at babies under 6 months, so they advertise their "follow on milk".

Goodnight milk is usually different, it's like the "hungry baby" milks - Goodnight milk is often curd-based like "hungry baby milk" rather than whey based. Whey is easier to digest, Curd based milk stays in their tummy longer.
If not curd based, "goodnight milk" may contain other thickeners which do the same job of making the milk sit in their tummy longer and be harder to digest, in theory making them sleep more/longer.

Personally I'd stick to first stage milk.

I have directly compared Aptamil first stage and follow on milk and though I don't disagree with phoenix's reasons as to why it was created there is more of other micronutrients other than just iron yet the ingredients seem to be very much the same and they have the same calorie and fat content.

I don't think there is honestly much difference however there is definately no harm in using either type of milk as both provides them with what they need up to 1 year of age when they can move onto full fat cows milk. X

The further stage up the fewer calories in them because they get calories from their feeds too. Good night milk has something added in although it's not proven to help babies sleep through the night. By the time I tried it our little one wouldn't have it but he only wanted ready milk from a young age at room temp and he doesn't like powdered milk. The good night milk is thicker so I did get a x flow teat for it and he wouldn't have that either. If you're on powdered and have no teat size problems just try it and see if it makes a difference x

My HV told me to stick with the first stage milk until 1 year of age at least, then can move on to full fat cows milk.

Thanks everyone, I think I will stick with what she is on for now. X

Lucy my husband was eying up the goodnight milk and decided to buy it. LO has been getting up earlier and earlier. I think this might be because we're moving his bedtime slightly back in prep for me going back to work so I get to see him! I'll let you know if the goodnight milk makes a difference x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back