Hipp Organic - good or bad...?

Chezza

Reaction score
As the title says really...

I want to make the majority of JJ's meals when he can have them...but is it ok to use products from Hipp every now and then...?

Opinions please!

Thank you xxx

I would always look at the ingredients. Most of the jars will have starch and water added which has no.nutritional value and fruit ones will sometimes have sugar.
I have given A Plum.or Ellas Kitchen occasionally (he wouldnt take jars anyway), there was just one savoury pouch he would eat.
Tbh i tasted a jar once and i understand why he didnt want them.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I've given M the occasional jars, if we've been out longer than anticipated ill drop in and buy one or likewise of we are home late ill get a jar.
I use Hipp Organic and personally find them to be ok, the ingredients are fine nothing extra is added.
I have used the Ella's kitchen ones but find stage 2 to still be pretty puréed and not very lumpy and taste on par with Hipp.
I don't use the fruit pots I prefer to do my own fruit or ill give her rice cakes or yoghurt x

I make most of her meals or she has what we eat.

x

I bought 5 Ella's Kitchen Pouches as they were on offer and I still have them all.

They are for emergencies - I am out later and OH may crack one open :shock:

I remember tasting my nephews EK apple puree when he was a baby and I was astounded how unlike apple it tasted???

I think society has really turned snobby about baby food but the fact is although some brands are touted as natural etc there is no substitute for the proper food?

I'd buy a few when you are weaning and see what baby likes? Make sure you have a taste yourself though and I bet you don't use many of them lol.

xxxx

Last edited:
Funnily enough, my mum told me to try one first - she said if I liked the taste, then try him with it...if not, then don't!

What are the best foods to start weaning on? I was thinking tiny amounts of baby rice when he is 4 months next month (eeek, where is the time going!)...but what then...?

Thanks so much, your help is really appreciated xxx

Baby rice has next to no nutritional value to it I'm afraid :(
We skipped that and went to baby porridge instead made with her milk.

Is it puréed food you want to do? Cow and gate have a great 5 easy steps to weaning book, you can get it online as well and it will tell you what sort of things to introduce.

Is there a reason your weaning at 4 months and not waiting out until nearer 6?X

B is 5 &1/2 months and we're not weaning until atleast 6 months. We'll skip baby rice and go straight to homemade puree probably hun . Apple/pear/butternut squash/carrot. To be fair I need to look it all up again now my older two are 6 & 5 I can't remember!! I must admit they started on baby rice with formula at 5 & 1/2 months but I'm skipping it this time. I think they went on to porridge etc quite quickly. This time round when b is enjoying eating and has sussed it all out she'll have what we eat. Xxx

Last edited:
Baby rice has next to no nutritional value to it I'm afraid :(
We skipped that and went to baby porridge instead made with her milk.

Is it puréed food you want to do? Cow and gate have a great 5 easy steps to weaning book, you can get it online as well and it will tell you what sort of things to introduce.

Is there a reason your weaning at 4 months and not waiting out until nearer 6?X

Yes, I would like him to try pureed food first (I assume that's the best thing to do) - thanks for the tip re: the book - I'll have a look :)

I had a chat with a HV at the baby clinic we go to - as although JJ is happy with 4 x 6/7oz bottles during the day - he can take 8oz in the evening for his bedtime bottle and still want more. The HV said we could try him on a teaspoon or 2 of baby rice when he reached 4 months. (My mum keeps telling me that before this will be fine...in "her day" babies were on rusks and milk at six weeks...they just never told their HV!)

xxx

Funnily enough, my mum told me to try one first - she said if I liked the taste, then try him with it...if not, then don't!

What are the best foods to start weaning on? I was thinking tiny amounts of baby rice when he is 4 months next month (eeek, where is the time going!)...but what then...?

Thanks so much, your help is really appreciated xxx

We started early weaning at 17 weeks. We gave LO baby rice a couple of times, mixed with his milk just to get him used to a different consistency and actually having to move the food around his mouth and swallow. He didn't seem too bothered with that so we went onto porridge which he seemed to enjoy and then we've given him fruit mixed with baby rice to make it a bit thicker. He loves his fruit and gobbles it all up! I was planning on starting him with veggies today, but he's been off his milk, so waiting a day or two.

I give LO something after his second feed of the day and then when we have our tea, about 6pm. I always make sure it's after a feed though and that he's taken most of his milk. I try to make it more about having a taste and getting used to eating rather than actually replacing any feeds right now.

I've been using jars when first introducing things, cos I'm not spending my precious time making some gourmet puree for the wee man to decide he doesn't like it! Now I know he likes fruit, I'm cracking on with the home made purees this weekend! Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with jars in moderation. I generally make most of my food from scratch but there's the odd time due to time and convience I will have a ready meal or takeaway. I see the baby jars in the same way.

The Cow & Gate booklet is good if you want to go down the traditional weaning route.

We started with baby porridge at about 5 months, then some fruits & veggies at 5.5 months (melon sticks, cucumber, carrot batons etc..)

From 6 months James has had everything, he even has steak for tomorrow - just a cheapo beef frying steak mind :lol:

Now he's having breakkie, lunch and dinner.

We do BLW, which has been tough [for me especially] but I am glad I persevered.

If you have some time maybe do a little bit of research and see what wenaing style will work for you?

xxxxxxxx

Harry's been weaning since he was 19 weeks. He doesn't like baby porridge so he has stewed apples or pears for breakfast and veggies for dinner. So far he's had butternut squash with cauliflower & sweet potato with broccoli and loves both. I've just cooked up a batch of potato, carrot & swede today for him to try. He'll be having lunch in the next couple of weeks too.

Jack has a fruit pot after lunch every day because he'll only eat bananas and even that's rare so I like to know he's had at least some kind of fruit. I'm hoping Harry will enjoy fruit so I don't have to bother with fruit pots. He can
just have fruit for his lunchtime pudding instead.

I happily use Ellas Kitchen and Hipp pouches. I always check the ingredients before I purchase any of MJs food and these are the two brands I feel most comfortable with. I have tried the meals myself and think they taste totally fine. I started him off on a little pureed fruit or carrot and built up from there. The ellas fruit pouches are great for first tastes and can be frozen. I also make baby porridge for his breakfast with fruit puree mixed through, he loves it!

I think you also have to go by how much your baby likes the food. I used to buy only Hipp, but Harry didn't seem that keen on some of them. I tried a few different brands and now I vary the brands I use depending on what I think he will like xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back