• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hip Pain

charlie84

Reaction score
Hi dont know if anyone has any advice for me, but i have been having really bad pain in my left hip joint to the extent that it hurts to lift my foot off the floor to walk.

This has just come on really bad in the last few days. It is quite bad if i sit at my desk crossed legged then get up it is really bad. Also when i get up in the morning and when i get out of my car it is worse also.

The pain is constant, bearable some of the time and if i walk round a bit it eases the worse pain.

I have read up on SPD and PGP but i am unsure. If i went to the docs not sure what they could do for me.

Any body else experiance this pain and how are you coping. I need to know if its likely to get worse as i cannot afford to be signed off on the sick.

Thanks

I've not experienced this (I don't think - so many aches and pains I sometimes get confused LOL) but noticed there were no replies so didn;t want to read and run.

Perhaps if it is that bad you should make an appointment with your Dr just tp get it checked. It *may* be the start of SPD, I don't know though...

Hi there,

I've been suffering from similar in both my hips for a few days now. Walking up the stairs was painful. I said to my hubby it felt like I had walked 10 miles the day before it was that kind of aching pain.

I get it when I sit, stand and pretty much anything else. Although it seems to be better some days than others. I'm not finding it stopping me from doing my work or anything but it is slowing me up. I"ll go see my GP if and when it gets too bad.

I did a bit of research and found this article where it said you should do the following

How to recognise SPD

The main symptoms are pain in your pubic area, groin, the inside of your thighs and sometimes in your lower back and hips. "The pain is worse when you walk or move and climbing stairs is especially painful. Getting in and out of the car or turning in bed is also painful," says Ann Johnson. You might hear a clicking sound when you walk and feel as though the bones are grinding together. Opening your legs is difficult and painful.

If you are experiencing these symptoms, don't let your doctor or midwife dismiss them as 'part of being pregnant'. The condition is now more widely recognised than it was a few years ago, says Ann Johnson. It can be diagnosed by examining your pelvic joints and watching how you move. If it occurs after giving birth, as it does in a few cases, a pelvic X-ray or scan can be done. "You'll normally have a urine sample taken too to exclude any other causes of pain such as a urine infection," says Ann Johnson.

SPD normally happens from the second trimester of pregnancy onwards, but can occur at any stage in any pregnancy, even if you've never suffered before.
Treating SPD

* The best person to treat SPD is an obstetric physiotherapist, and usually your GP or midwife can refer you.
* The physiotherapist can give you a pelvic support garment to wear such as a belt or Tubigrip bandage, and crutches if walking is difficult. You'll also be given gentle exercises to help strengthen the muscles supporting the joint and general advice about posture and activities to avoid. S/he will also discuss delivery options and positions with you. If necessary, you can also be referred to an occupational therapist for other aids to make your daily life easier.
* Your doctor can prescribe safe painkillers to take in pregnancy, usually paracetamol.
* The most effective alternative therapies, according to the British SPD Support Group, include chiropractic and osteopathy which help to relieve joint pain.
* In most cases you'll be fully recovered in six months after giving birth, but if the pain continues, surgery to fix the joints together may be considered.
* Rest as much as you can - it really does help.
* Avoid movements that place extra strain on the symphysis pubis. When you get out of bed, roll out with both legs together. When climbing stairs, go one step at a time. Avoid breast stroke when swimming.

Taken from here

So I'd suggest go see your GP or MW asap and talk to them

Hope that helps :) :hug:

I suffer from SPD and feel it mainly in my right hip, sometimes it feels as though my leg is gonna give way under me.
I'd mention it to your midwife

Cheers girls for your replys, i will book an appointment with docs to see what they say if they can bloody fit me in.

I said to my OH that i havent done any crimbo shopping yet and if the pain continues i am going to have to send him out for all the pressies :lol: while i stay at home and relax :dance:

I've been having this and spoke to the midwife about it yesterday.

she told me that it's your hip bones relaxing due to the hormones in your system, theres nothing much you can do other than take paracetamol if it gets really bad, it also depends on how your baby is lying, i could hardly walk the other day but Bean seams to have moved and it doesnt seem as bad.

having said that i now have a new pain, i feel like i've been horse riding or had a marathon sex session, apparently it is pressure from baby, worse from sitting but once i start walking around it seems to ease off.

They can give you physio to help mobilise the joints is it gets really bad. I found that helped quite a bit in my last pregnancy.
My midwife this time told me to let her know if mine gets any worse and she will refer me to the physio again and get me a support belt

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back