High Risk and the Birthing Pool

Lou12

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this will be different in different areas, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Having decided that I would like to labour in the birthing pool, it occurred to me that they may not let me (I forgot to ask at my midwife appt the other day). I have gestational diabetes, but I'm managing it really well through diet and according to my growth scan baby is pretty much average size (heading for around 7lb at birth). I also have a high BMI (about 37 I think). What do you think?

I have an antenatal class this afternoon and I think a midwife is doing it today, so I'll ask at the end - but would like your opinions if possible.

Thanks all :D

Depends on if they want to monitor you, if they do then the birthing pool is a no no but as you are not very high risk (iykwim) then you might be ok. My hospital was a high risk centre and they had a pool so didnt get used a lot and they said that if you were only slightly high risk ie higher bmi or slightly high bp then you could use it. I had to be induced so didnt get a chance but sometimes you can use them!!
xxx

The midwife I spoke to today suggested I speak to my consultant about it, but said hopefully it wouldn't be a problem. If I can, he'll be able to put it in my notes. So I shall see in a couple of weeks!

Thank you, Mrs N :)

Only thing I wud say is dont pin your hopes as labour never really works out the way you plan it to!! HAve a back up plan too!! FIngers crossed it will be all good for you!!
xxxx

I have a BMI of 37 and I was allowed in the birthing pool, however my baby had other ideas about me being in there lol and spent his time spinning like a carousel inside me so I had to get out....

I spoke to my own midwife yesterday and she says I need to speak with the midwife and consultant at the diabetes clinic on Monday - but she doesn't think I'll be allowed, as they generally monitor baby throughout labour.

I'm keeping everything crossed that they say yes, but have a feeling it'll be a no!!!

my bmi was 39 when i fell preggers. i was allowed to but i dunno about with gd. x

Sent from my shit hot phone! Fo shizzle home girls.

The hospital should have underwater monitors in that rom to monitor baby if that helps :)
you could ask the midwife when you see her :)

Well I spoke with my consultant and she's said that if everything continues as it has - i can use the birthing pool! I'm so pleased!!!

Thanks for your support girls :)

Yey, i had a bmi of 39 and they where going to let me but i didnt get time in the end she came so fast! xxx

Well I spoke with my consultant and she's said that if everything continues as it has - i can use the birthing pool! I'm so pleased!!!

Thanks for your support girls :)

great news Xx

Sent from my shit hot phone! Fo shizzle home girls.

it does depend on area, where i am they wont let you if your bmi is above 35 cos if you fell they wouldnt be able to get you up or out of the pool etc in an emergency which is bull cos if i fell they'd have a job lifting me outside the pool let alone in it lol

I'm having a vbac and have taken my case to the head mw who has agreed to my water birth in the mw led unit! No constant monitoring, no "just in case" cannula, no trial of labour on a ticking clock, made up! x

Cosmic this is fantastic news! I'm hoping ill.be allowed to use the pool when I go for my VBAC. I'm hoping it will be ok as the midwife led unit is across he hall from consultant led! X

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back