High BMI - very scary phone call from MW - HELP !!!

Fiona

Reaction score
had a really strange phone call from my MW today. She is new to the surgery and I have only seen her once before. She said that she had been reading my notes and wanted to make sure that I understood the risks of a natural birth and especially a home birth (I am booked in for a home waterbirth) with a high BMI. She said that she had been asked to make clear to me that I understood the risks so that she was doing her job properly as it wasn't in my notes at any point that anyone had talked to me about this. And she is right.
They class anyone over a bmi of 35 at risk, I am 36. Seemingly I am at greater risk of having to have a C.section or even a still birth. She said that it is new hospital policy to let me know....... but she did say that she is not saying I can't have my home birth and that she herself didn't think it was an issue........ but that she had to let me know.
To be honest she has scared the life out of me... not too worried about the c.section but the risk of having a stillborn has freaked me out...

Are there any mums on here who have had high bmi's and experienced anything similar ????????? Or Mums who have had high bmi's and no problem with a natural birth............

any advice welcome, many thanks Fiona

Body Mass Index

sorry i can't help you Fiona.
All i can say is that my friend had a baby last year and she wasn't allowed a home birth or a water birth in the hospital becasue she was too big. No idea what difference it makes.

I'm sorry to ask but i'm planning a HB as well.
What actual weight would class you as having a high BMI?
Do you go by the normal one's that you can find on the internet or is there a special one for pregnant women?
BTW I don't think you'll have any problems hun your only a point over :hug: Don't Worry

Ah thanks budge :)
hmmm 26 better than I expected as i've been piling it on uncontrolably way past the recommened weight gain during this pregnancy.

My bmi is about the same as yours, i had a natural delivery, no problems during my pregnancy or labour or afterwards, i didnt want a home birth so that wasnt an issue for me, but my bmi was never mentioned as a problem. Dont worry about it, there is nothing you can do and i am sure you will be fine.

My bmi was 36 with my last 2 pregnancys and i have had no problems with a natural delivery at all. With my last pregnancy they did an exra couple of checks. I had to have a gloucose tolarance test and and extra appointment to check to babies growth but everything was fine.Nothing was ever mentioned about me being a higher risk.

I have a high BMI and the midwife was really relaxed about it, she never mentioned anything about c sections or stillbirth because of it, I think that must have been quite a shock to hear I do hope you're feeling better about it all now :hug: The only thing the midwife mentioned was that I'd need a GTT test, as it could cause pregnancy diabetes, I have that test at the end of this month.

My cousin had a high BMI when she gave birth, and she did it vaginally, with gas and air, and quickly, so I hope the stories here reassure you Fiona, and when you see your midwife I hope your chat puts your mind at ease too :hug:

At what point do they calculate your BMI? I am struggling to remember what my weight was before I became pregnant (I think I am blocking it out due to my weight now :rotfl: ) I think it was about 11 and half stone and I am 5' 7". By the time I was 40 odd weeks I weighed about 15 and a half stone. I know I put on too much weight but TBH I don't care Ellie was born a good weight and was healthy which is all I cared about. I have been steadily losing that weight and I am now 12stone 8.5lb (as of this morning :cheer: ). I had a homebirth the only "complication" was that I needed stitches but I have never heard that attributed to weight? I am sorry I don't know what my BMI is.

I worked it out that before you got pregnant your BMI was 25.2 if you were 11 and a half stone and 5'7, I think, but obviously when pregnant you put on weight so does your BMI go up with that, or does it stay the same as your weight before being pregnant, it being 'pregnancy weight'? It's all too medical for me heehee

WELL DONE on losing for want of a few pounds or days, 3 stone in six months!! Is that fast because I would have thought it would take longer to go, but I guess baby, placenta etc take up a bit of weight hehe very well done Nicky_Jones :hug:

Yep - I was 1 stone lighter the day after giving birth. The next stone came of very quickly, about 1 month (I am breast feeding as well which I think helps). The rest has been very slow. The problem with breastfeeding is that you can't diet hard as you need to make sure you don't effect your milk supply.

That must have felt odd being 1 stone lighter a day later, though probably hard to notice seeing as you had your lovely LO :)
I'm hoping to breastfeed, I don't worry about the weight gain/loss, I've always been a larger lady and so it's not on my mind, but can you not eat a healthy diet and breastfeed and lose weight? Or do you need to eat a lot of certain foods while breastfeeding, sorry I don;t know much about after the birth :oops: will do soon hehe

I had a high BMI and gave birth naturally with just gas and air no problems at all.
Had quite a negative response when i had my 20 week scan and from the consultant because of my weight-he had difficulty feeling the position of baby.
However my midwife had no problem at all and as mentioned before due to my weight i had to have a glucose tolerance test that came back as normal.
I think the most important thing for anyone who is pregnant is to keep active and try to eat sensibily.
My labour was pretty quick even though it was my first baby, though i know being overweight ccan cause problems this wasn't the case for me.
Good luck!

I had a high BMI when I got pregnant and the only thing that was said to me was I would have to be tested for diabetes later on in the pregnancy. I did have a few mobility problems as I got bigger, but I really concentrated on having a healthy diet and I actually lost weight at the begining ( i think this was due to morning sickness too!) I eventually only put on 1 stone during the pregnancy and this was the amount lost during the first trimester so in theory I did not gain any weight at all!!!

I was told that I may have difficulty with the pushing part as there is more fat in the vagina and so making it slightly narrower..... I don't know how true this is as I had to have an emergency section due to my baby becoming distressed.

I have now lost 3 stone since giving birth ( 6 weeks!) and I think this is due to breast feeding alone as I certainly haven't been dieting!!

I would't worry too much about your weight but just be sensible with your diet and try not to put too much weight on during the firts and second trimester. ( weight gain in the thrid is inevitable as your baby is getting bigger)

i also have a high bmi and all i was told was that i might have a big baby. i had a normal delevery and mark was 6lb 11 oz which is not big at all. i sometimes find that hospitals worry you for no reason. i also dveloped diabetes and had no problems with that either. so wouldnt worry yourself to much.

thanks ladies........... everything you have said has been really reassuring..... :) :)

I have had the Glucose Test done and this was all okay. Also my BP has been really good all the way through my pregnancy.

Have seen 5 different MW in total through the course of my pregnancy as the one connected to my surgery has been on longterm sick leave. I spoke to them all about a home birth and they were all really supportive and not one metioned that my weight might be a problem...

seeing the consultant on Wed (38 weeks) so will chat to him about it...
I am not really a worrier but really feel like this is hanging over my head now...

My BMI is same as yours Fiona (must admit I was a little shocked!) The Ultrasonographer at my 22 week scan kept making subtle references to my weight making the scan difficult, which was pleasant of her... :twisted:

Other than that my MW and GP have barely mentioned it so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back