Home birth v hospital - if all goes well in pregnancy

Sherlock

Reaction score
We've recently moved and I am under a new MW but same hospital.

Went to see MW today and she is lovely. A real star. Chatted for ages, she updated all my records, asked about my birth plans and when I told her that because of my age (37) and it being my first baby I was opting to go to my local hospital (consultant led unit) 40 minutes away she was surprised.

She asked had I considered a home birth and gave me lots of information about the pros and cons.

TBH, the idea of a home birth really appeals but they will happily let you go to hospital if that is your wish. Or I can stay at home with MW until the last possible minute and then transfer and have the final stage of delivery in hospital.

She explained about the home birth policy being very hands off and natural and that they had experience in turning babies and so on, and didn't use the equipment that they do in hospital. Nor do you get the same pain relief, but this is actually something that does not worry me as I was never keen on the idea of an epidural in the first place.

She said she feels more than happy for me to consider a home birth and would encourage it. She says my age is not an issue and that provided my scan at 34 weeks shows all is well with baby, she'd support me to opt for home. I am overweight but she says my BP has been stable throughout, I'm probably actually fitter than a lot of people 15 years younger than me and she can see no reason atm to not remain at home, provided I have no awkward complications between here and then.

She said I can change my mind up till the last minute and she'll support me either way. She feels I would probably have a better birthing experience at home as its more to my way of thinking and I don't wish for any medical intervention unless absolute nessecary. I'd prefer a low key birth in my own home and am seriously considering it now.

Any Mums out there able to give me feedback on home birth experience? Or any who started at home and had to be transferred to hospital?

Also any Mum's who were overweight and older who opted for a home birth? I'd love to hear your experiences and why you opted to stay home.

Thanks

Sherry :)

I had a very unexpected homebirth and beforehand I was quite anti-homebirth as I wanted all the technology to hand..however..my choices were be blue lighted to hospital in an ambulance or have the baby at home. This is a big homebirth are so the MWs had the kit in the car and brought me some gas & air. It was great! I didn't have to go to hospital or see a doc at all. The first time we saw the doc was at his 6 week checkup just after xmas. The MWs were great and came to see me at home for 28 days (not every day :) ) and any probs, we could just ring the labour ward at the hospital. My mum & dad & bro came by after work rather than fussing with visiting hours and we had chinese for dinner! So my baby was born on the lounge floor and I'd def do it again at home.

I had a wonderful home birth experience and couldn't recommend it highly enough. It was my first baby and my BMI was 41, which was an issue but it was overcome through my own determination to get the home birth that I had set my heart on.

I absolutely loved the experience - I birthed my baby myself and was the first person ever in the world to touch her and it has made our home even more special. OH and I also loved that he was with us 24/7 afterwards and didn't have to miss anything. It was so so lovely.

My birth story is in a link in my sig, feel free to read it and PM me with any questions.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Valentine Xxx

If I could I'd definitely have a home birth. I remember my hospital birth being really clinical and just in that way really distressing as I don't like hospitals. Also after the birth was very difficult too because of the way the mw kept coming over and interfering..

Apparently the incidences of intervention and complications in home births is dramatically lower than than of hospital births in patients with normal pregnancies. Because you are more relaxed in your own home, feel safer and secure.. and stress increases your responses to pain.

Sounds like you have a fantastic mw who really knows her stuff... that in itself is worth its weight in gold. I desperately don't want to go into labour unless its on Friday, Sunday or Monday because my mw will be on call and she's really lovely and she makes me feel safe and secure.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

You're really lucky having a midwife who suggests home birth, A lot of them seem to try and put people off cos it's more convenient for them to shove them in hospital.

I asked my midwife if I could have a homebirth and she just said 'we can't do that here', then changed the subject. I will bring it up again when I see her next.

With my labour with James I found I was doing ok breathing through the contractions at home, but once I got to hospital I got really nervous and panicked, and ended up asking for pethidine. I wish I'd stayed at home for longer, I found being in a familiar environment helped to keep me calm and deal with it naturally

Squiglet said:
Apparently the incidences of intervention and complications in home births is dramatically lower than than of hospital births in patients with normal pregnancies. Because you are more relaxed in your own home, feel safer and secure.. and stress increases your responses to pain.

I def think I would have had the "works" in terms of pain relief if I had been in hospital

im not older or overweight but i did hav a home birth- fantastic experience! (link to story in my sig if u wanna read details)
it was fab that i had TWO midwives ALL TO MYSELF THROUGHOUT! iv heard at hospitals theres just one between 12 women so they hav to keep leaving u to deal with the others i dont like the sound of that! also its comforting being in ur own surroundings during labour- and of course after the birth ur already at home can lie in ur own bed with baby, no travelling home chore!
good luck hope all goes well for u :hug:

im also considering a home birth and my midwife is all for it

i would get 2 midwifes with me so much more focused care than in hospital

i think id be more relaxed than in a hospital but we will see

Wanted a homebirth all the way through with Isaac.
Got no support from my MW and had to see a few professionals who told me horror stories to try and 'change my mind'.
I am overweight, but my pregnancy had not problems the whole way through.
Had my show, waters went and contractions started, all was well, this started on a Tuesday evening but by friday afternoon, and still having contractions, and leaking, no baby.
I went into hospital for scans and HB checks, Isaac was perfect, he was just very comfy where he was.
They told me everything was fine except a raised cell count on my behalf, which they told me signified possible infection.
This alarmed me slightly, I was happy at home whilst Isaac was safe, this cell count rise meant he could get the infection too and be ill, so I admitted myself, stating I wanted to be left alone as long as possible to labour naturally.
10hrs later and still no baby, it was decided to drip induce me.
That in itself distressed me, I never wanted intervention, and that fect that OH had to leave the hospital at 11pm, so I was alone 11pm-3am when he was allowed back as I was being induced.
Then I am afraid all my fears were realized as the induction turned very manageable contractions into not, and after a few hours of intense discomfort, I had the epidural.
I was at 10cm but still no baby, after a few consultants had had their hands, plural, up there, it was decided Isaac was tilted and high, I was absolutely shattered, and they mentioned c-section.
I started crying my eyes out, I so did not want a c-section.
They then said they could try forceps with an episiotimy but would have to prep me for a c-section still in case the forceps didn't work.
I still thank the Lord he came that way, and he was perfect, he was throughout, apgar of 9, twice, they say they don't give 10's as no-ones perfect, but he was lol
Then I was put on high dependancy unit while Isaac went for a cannula putting in the back of his hand (for the infection he NEVER had, neither did I, had they never meniotned infection maybe my homebirth would have happened).
I had a cathater fitted as couldn't move from all the drugs, I was physically shaking, and I could only feel one arm and my face.
Isaac was borught back to me with Daddy nearly 2hrs later where he latched straight onto me, and things seemed perfect again.

I would like to say I enjoyed my hospital experience but I didn't.
I would never choose it over my home unless my baby was in danger, see above.
Isaac then developed dangerously high bilirubin levels and had jaundice (which has been related to the use of the tocins they use in induction).
He was put in an incubator under lights and if fecked up my breastfeeding him as he needed a drip and had to be 'overfed' to flush out the jaundice.

I was in hospital 8 days.
I hated it.
It also ruined the bonding for my OH and Isaac, and it left me very low in the beginning, and I felt like a failure, I felt I'd let Isaac, OH and myself down.

I now look back at the whole event and feel very proud of myself, and my partner, because it was quite a long ordeal, and to go from one expectation of birth to the complete opposite is quite an impact.

I would say plan your homebirth and look forward to it, you know should anything go awry you'd transfer so choose what you feel most comfortable with as its important to be comfortable for a gentle, happy birth.

Sorry I just wrote LOADS, and sorry its not a nice hospital story but MANY MANY women have beautiful hospital experiences, but mine is one example of why keeping open minded is important, and also goes to show homebirth Mummy's do put their babies safety first, which is one misconception of homebirth.

I also wanted to add that when I was in labour, the MW's I had at home were all lovely and supportive. Also whilst in hospital they were too. You won't necessarily get your current MW for your homebirth, so bear that in mind.

None of the MW's believed I was far as I was quiet during contractions, which was through using Hypnobirthing techniques, and when in hospital they said I was 7cm dilated they were all shocked because 'my toes weren't curling' lol

Please check out this website too, and very very best wishes :hug:
http://www.homebirth.org.uk/

Redshoes said:
homebirth Mummy's do put their babies safety first, which is one misconception of homebirth.
yeah we do!
grr when i was pregnant and told people my HB plans and they implied that i was being reckless and dangerous, it used to irritate the shit outta me! i used 2 say 2 them hospitals are for sick and injured people, im not sick or injured im havin a baby! and they just looked at me like im a silly little girl it really pissed me off

(sorry bout the language btw but it got on my nerves! :oops: )

Thanks ladies :hug: :hug:

I'm leaning toward a home birth if all goes well between now and then. I have a lovely MW and she has assured me if its not her on the day the other ladies who will attend are great also.

Hubby and I have discussed how we would arrange things in the house, that we would put up a bed in the sitting room and not worry about using upstairs (we have a downstairs bathroom etc so it would be easier to be down) and that it'd be nice to be in our own home and in our own time.

I really do worry about medical intervention in hospital and also that if things take too long they may want to speed things up and thats the last thing I want if baby is not distressed. I'm not ill I'm pregnant! Its become a bit of a mantra to me :lol: Baby will get here in his/her own time :)

From my reading of home births, MW's who attend them are very skilled at dealing with things and are well used to coping with minor problems that in hospital may end up with far more invasive procedures.

I have been assured that if I felt things were not right or I was not happy about remaining at home I would be transferred asap to hospital. MW has also said if she had concerns and felt it was better I move there, she would tell me. So I don't worry in that sense. I think my only real concern about possibly needing to transfer once in labour is that its about 30 minutes drive away.

From what I have read though, if pregnancies are good, and baby has been well thorughout then home births are a good thing to opt for. They are usually fine and its all allowed to happen in its own time.

I'll get a scan at 34 weeks to check size etc, and so long as baby engages and so on, and MW is happy in the days leading up to due date, then I think I'll stick with remaining at home.

I had a home birth and it was great. It was also really fast, official time 2hrs 15mins IIRC (homebirths tend to be a lot quicker than hospital births according to the research that I did). I am a bit overweight as well, and I was 30 just when Ellie was born. I would highly recommend it. I ended up having to transfer to hospital due to bad tearing (normally this will be sutured at home but the MW didn't feel confident). I was even threatened with an epidural for the stitches thankfully they managed with just a local and gas and air.

Good luck.

as you may have read.. i had a home birth and my bmi was 41, the only problem they said could occure was shoulder distocia if baby was big..

well as you may know i had to fight for my home birth as it was 36+5.. and i wasnt to term.. but i argued that my scan date put me forward 2 days so tecnically i was to term.. and even if it wasnt its only 2 days and im willing to take the very small risk..

birth went great was fab to be able to do my own thing.. would deffo recomend it xx

Ive had one of each and much prefered the homebirth. Soo much more relaxing and easy going. Id say deffo go for it if alls well leading up to going in to labour.

Im also planning one this time round.

Good luck :cheer:

good luck hun im sure youll be so glad u made the decision as i was. nicky_jones mentioned they are usually quicker and normally stitches can be done at home- my labour was quick for a first (officially 7 hours in notes- but MWs only got to me 5 hours before millie popped out so i count it as 5 hours that i couldnt cope on my own) and i was stitched at home too. and they did a good job i healed quickly and neatly- i still look pretty down there too! (well as pretty as they get lol!)
look forward 2 reading ur story!

I am on homebirth number 4 in couple of weeks.....Please do P.M me with anything you'd like to know. I am having a home water birth this time round....something different (had last baby in a yurt ).....

My friend just had her first baby at home all was fine.

But ultimately you'll birth where you feel safest...its instinct.

Natural Mamma, good luck. I hope you get your homebirth, as Berkshire has limited number of MW for homebirths. 2 covering whole of Berskhire I was told when I was due Ellie.

NB We had Christian and he was FANTASTIC.

Natural Mamma, good luck. I hope you get your homebirth, as Berkshire has limited number of MW for homebirths. 2 covering whole of Berskhire I was told when I was due Ellie.

NB We had Christian and he was FANTASTIC.

I live near Newbury and there is a team of 15 midwives and only 3 of us booked for Homebirth in Feb..... :shock:

But i reckon if there wasn't anyone able to come i'd do an "accidental unassisted delivery" i didn't say that :wink: I mean if i haven't got the hang of it now theres no hope :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I wanted a home birth so much but had to be sectioned as she was breech :wall: and nothing was shifting her. All the home birth stories I've read on here have been really positive (I mean,look at Valentine's!). I still feel dissapointed i didn't get to do it the way i wanted-so all the best with yours,because it sounds like a great way to go about it :lol:

I would like a home birth but I live in a ground floor flat with terrible soundproofing. It's also in a small VERY quiet village on the road, (I use the term 'road' in its loosest possible sense). I would feel quite inhibited I think knowing everyone could hear me in labour. Well I guess realistically not EVERYONE, but my upstairs neighbour definitely would. And anyone out the front - which is llikely as neighbours across the road park outside. And most people have to pass my place on the way to the shop, school & pub. I would have to put a sign in the window saying "Don't call the police, I'm in labour not being attacked!" And I think it would mean having the windows closed - not nice in August. Luckily everyone I know who went to the local hospital had a really good experience. The maternity ward there is really nice and I can have a fairly 'hand-off' labour there. We know of 17 babies born there and not a bad birth amongst them.

Athough I may broach the subject with my neighbour, she may not be that alarmed at hearing me. Her teenage son might wanna go out though. LOl

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back