Hi everyone - after some advice and reassurance please

kamkam

Reaction score
Hi All
Just wondering if anyone else who took the screening test has came back as "high risk". For my age (31) I should be approx 750, however my results show 1 in 131.
I have attended the hosital for discussions etc I had a full anomoly scan done which showed no markers for downs (and showed a little boy was in there :)), however the consultant did say that downs is not necessarily picked up in ultrasounds. I have decided not to go ahead with the amnio test due to the risk of miscarriage, however, I now feel very low and don't know how I can enjoy the rest of my pregnancy as I am not sue until mid August.

Has anyone else been through this, your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
KAMKAM x

I'm not sure hun, its not a test I've had.

Welcome to the Forum :)

I haven't been through this honey. Maybe speak to your doctor again? Big hugs!

hi hun, I'm due to go for my tests on Monday so am very worried. I'm 31 too. My friend went through the same as you with a 'high risk' result but she went on to have a healthy boy!
Not much use I'm afraid but didn't want to read and run xxx

Hi KamKam, Try not to worry, much easier said than done I know!! One of my friends got a high risk result of 1 in 86 when she had her little boy. That was through the nucal translucency scan and blood test. At her anomoly scan there were no markers for downs and her consultant told her that if the risk were to be calculated again taking into account the results of the scan the risk would be reduced by a considerable amount. She chose not to have an amnio as she looked at it that you wouldnt bet on a horse coming in at 86:1 as the odds are still tiny.
xx

Her beautiful boy is perfectly healthy

Last edited:
Thank you for your posts. I would have thought my consultant would have no me the same, ie no markers then risk has decreased, however I was told my risk remains the same. Just going to have to try and think postively from now on, just august now seems sooo far away to find out if everything is going to be ok. Wish I had never had the blood test done (hindsight and everything).
Thanks guys, I'm going to have a little laddie and he will be much loved regardless.
Happy mothers Day to you all xx

You could always pay for a private scan and ask them to look specifically for Downs syndrome soft markers. I know there are quite a few markers and at least if there arent any at all it might put your mind at ease about it.

I have never been in this situation myself but a friend of mine was she had the amnio test tho as she said she would have been worried throughout they said it's like a 12% of miscarriage so not too high but she had a healthy baby boy so she needent have worried in the end :) hope this helps but I haven't any personal experience sorry and welcome to the site x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back