Quad Blood Test Result ... Reassurance Please

Miss_Muffet

Reaction score
Morning Ladies - this is the first time I've come on here and am hoping you can reassure me. My DH and I found out last Sunday that I was 15 weeks pregnant - a total and utter shock given that we had been trying to conceive for years including IVF and I am now 41! We are over the moon though and at this present moment, although I wouldn't say I am a religious person, I do believe in God!

However, when I had my scan, because I was past the 14 week 1 day stage, I couldn't have the nuchal combined screening to test for Downs; instead they took a Quad blood test which gives the same result.

I've just had the results back which tell me that the test shows I am low risk (1:170). The cut off for high risk is 1:150. My DH tells me I should be really pleased and not to worry as it's a low risk result but now I'm wondering if I should have the more invasive test to tell me positively if my child is Downs or not. The problem is that this test itset carries a risk of causing miscarriage with a risk factor of 1:100 - I'm surrounded by fractions/probability; I even had a nightmare about it last night that I was sat in my old Maths classroom being shouted at that I didn't get it!

I know I'm worrying but that's me - always the pessimist, never the optimist. It's just we've had so many disappointments over the years, I'm frightened to get excited about our little miracle .....

Any advice gratefully received.

unfortunately i think thats a personal choice. Would it affect any decisions you make if your child was to have downs. I had the nuchal and the bloods as my sister has downs and when she born 21 years ago there were noneof these tests available and my mum wasnt even an older mum she was 29/30. Maybe speak to yuor midwife. The odds are quite good x

You're low risk but if you're still worried then talk to your mw about further testing x

firstly, congratulations sweetie! your pregnancy is going to fly by what with finding out so late, i think as the results came back low risk you should just except the result and continue to enjoy your pregnancy. also at your next scan they will check the facial features anyway as downs babies have a slightly different look. your baby is fine hun so enjoy it and relax xxx

Heya!! Firstly congratulations, what brilliant news, sound like you and hubby have been through a lot to get to this point!

The brilliant thing is that you are classed as low risk.

As Loula said it is very personal decision, would the result of an Amnio/CVS change how you feel about the pregnancy?

My husband and I had the nauchal scan and the blood test because we wanted to be aware of any complications, we would of had the baby no matter what.

Whatever you choose you have to make the right decsion for yourself and or husband. Good luck and just don't forget to keep celebrating!! xx

I think you just have to think what you'd do if you had test and then found something out

You've obviously been trying for a baby for a while

I'd say sit back and enjoy your pregnancy. If you know the results would make no sufferer to how you feel then rejoice in the fact you're so far along.

Obviously this is just my opinion but they are low risks. Just picture a room of 170 babies/children and only 1 of them *could* have health issues

That's a lot of babies that are perfectly healthy xx

Congratulations so lovely to hear a story of a couple wanting a baby after a long time of trying. At my 12 wk scan with my son they found out I was 16wks so I had to have blood tests but now they do them anyway as well as the nuchal test to get I presume a more accurate result. Don't worry if it's come back as low risk!

My story is very similar to yours and we are the same age. My bloods came back bang on the border so I had a cvs as I wanted to know x

also at your next scan they will check the facial features anyway as downs babies have a slightly different look. your baby is fine hun so enjoy it and relax xxx

I just wanted to explain that facial features of babies with DS cannot really be spotted whilst they are in your tummy. I know this as I am carrying a baby with DS and no scan picture - including the several 3D or 4D scans that I have had show our baby to look any different from our 1st daughters scan pictures!

The second thing I'd say to you to reassure you is that 1:170 is really not as high as you might imagine it to be. I had a 1:2 chance of DS and a 1:97 chance of another chromosomal abnormality. As a result, we did opt for a CVS and found out that our little bubba does have DS. I wanted the test only so that I could prepare myself. Where I don't regret that decision at all, I probably wouldn't have had an invasive test, which isn't a particularly pleasant experience if it can be avoided if I had your odds.

Good luck with whatever decision you take - and forgetting everything can I please offer you a massive congratulations on your fantastic pregnancy!!!!
Xxx

Hello, I just wanted to thank you personally for responding to my worry. I decided last night that I actually don't want to know and I'm not going to risk our little miracle on a whim of my peace of mind. I will be positive and heed your advice. I wish you the very best in the coming weeks. xx

Good for you!
If I were you, I really would enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!
I have managed to enjoy mine even with our diagnosis. As far a I am concerned, my little baby is as special an precious as anyone's! The fact that she definitely has downs syndrome is irrelevant. She is ours, we made her with our love and nothing changes that fact at all!

With your odds though- you really must remember that out of 170 babies, only 1 with your odds would have DS. That genuinely is not high odds. You have 169 chances of having a typically chromosomed baby an only 1 chance of getting the extra chromosome! Stay positive and keep that little miracle happy!

Big hugs xx

As far a I am concerned, my little baby is as special an precious as anyone's! The fact that she definitely has downs syndrome is irrelevant. She is ours, we made her with our love and nothing changes that fact at all!

Sorry to hijack, but this made me well up. I think its how we all feel about our LO's, regardless of how they are. I admire your positivity in what might otherwise be considered something to adapt to. I wholeheartedly agree with you that you little Princess is truly a blessing, made in love by you and your OH. I'm just struck by your fantastic outlook, not just in this post but others you made x

As far a I am concerned, my little baby is as special an precious as anyone's! The fact that she definitely has downs syndrome is irrelevant. She is ours, we made her with our love and nothing changes that fact at all!

Sorry to hijack, but this made me well up. I think its how we all feel about our LO's, regardless of how they are. I admire your positivity in what might otherwise be considered something to adapt to. I wholeheartedly agree with you that you little Princess is truly a blessing, made in love by you and your OH. I'm just struck by your fantastic outlook, not just in this post but others you made x

Ha ha ha!!! Bless you and thank you!
Xxx

Hi

My results came back yesterday with a 1:180 result which is slightly elevated from the risk purely due to my age (I'm almost 37) and stated that I was classed as low risk which I initially thought was wrong as in both my previous pregnancies the level for follow up tests was 1:250 but following lots of 'googling' I found out that the perameters for further testing were amended last year.

I think because in my previous pregnancies my results were much higher I sort of took for granted that this pregnancy would be the same, so although I am anxious I won't be taking this out of context as it is still is less than a 0.6% chance that anything could happen.

Wishing you all the best, enjoy it! Sleepless nights will be here before you know it lol

Annette x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back