He's not having enough milk, any suggestions?

Princess_Puddles

Reaction score
Harrison will be 1 in just over a week :cheer: and Im a little worried, he is only having about 4 maybe 5 oz of full fat milk in the morning and some of that goes on his brekkie & he has about 6oz before bed but will leave about half - 1oz, now I know this isnt alot and he should be having more but what do I do to make him have more :think: he does eat some youghurts but I trynot to give him one everyday as I like to vary his puddings and he hates cheese unless its mixed in with something. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

PP try giving him cheese in a sandwich or even some baby friendly milkshake (such as ovaltine who have made onewith no additives etc ) . ou could try making macaronni cheese with milk.

Just make more food which contain milk

rice pudding, custard, fromage frais, dairy lea, mashed potato with loads of milk and butter, cheesy pasta bakes, smoothies made with bananas, strawberries, rasberries etc...........anything you can think of.

my eldest absolutely refused to drink milk from nine months of age, and Sam is already down to one bottle a day, so I'm quite well practiced in getting the dairy into them......

Above all, don't stress about it too much. :hug:

Sammystar said:
Above all, don't stress about it too much. :hug:

ditto. they don't need as much as they say they do im sure they don't.

just do your best but realy --- he will survuve chicken

How about making your own rice pud, lots of milk in that and easy.

50g pudding rice
25g sugar
25g butter (to grease dish)
1 pint full fat milk

Grease oven dish with butter, add all ingredients and stir then cook for 2 hours on a low heat.

Or you could try custard, plain yoghurt with fruit (both mine had plain with chopped/mashed banana tonight) or banana with creme fraiche and a teeny bit of decent maple syrup, fruit smoothies made with yoghurt or milk. Ella's been poorly and off food so I made her hot choc as a treat the other day, I used a teaspoon of Green and Blacks drinking choc and full fat milk.
You could make a cheese sauce - spoonful of butter, spoonful of plain flour and make a paste, gradually add about 1/2 pint milk and stir all the time til it forms a thick sauce and add a handful of grated cheese then add to steamed veggies like cauli, brocolli etc)

Kina said:
How about making your own rice pud, lots of milk in that and easy.

50g pudding rice
25g sugar
25g butter (to grease dish)
1 pint full fat milk

Grease oven dish with butter, add all ingredients and stir then cook for 2 hours on a low heat.

Or you could try custard, plain yoghurt with fruit (both mine had plain with chopped/mashed banana tonight) or banana with creme fraiche and a teeny bit of decent maple syrup, fruit smoothies made with yoghurt or milk. Ella's been poorly and off food so I made her hot choc as a treat the other day, I used a teaspoon of Green and Blacks drinking choc and full fat milk.
You could make a cheese sauce - spoonful of butter, spoonful of plain flour and make a paste, gradually add about 1/2 pint milk and stir all the time til it forms a thick sauce and add a handful of grated cheese then add to steamed veggies like cauli, brocolli etc)

kina fook off wiht your recipes woman! :rotfl:

actually i made rice pudding today! so there!!! :hug:

Thanks guys, silly enough half that stuff I didnt realise he could have. I'm gonna have to scrap the cheese ideas though because he will refuse it point blank and make himself sick :? but thank you for the others. Ive been worrying that he its gonna harm him or something cause thats how the HV make it out :x
Kina - that recipe sounds yum, i'm defo gonna have to make some now thank you

Princess_Puddles said:
Thanks guys, silly enough half that stuff I didnt realise he could have. I'm gonna have to scrap the cheese ideas though because he will refuse it point blank and make himself sick :? but thank you for the others. Ive been worrying that he its gonna harm him or something cause thats how the HV make it out :x

kinas recipe is ok but i never add the sugar to it.

Gabs has also decreased her milk intake and I was worried about her. She went one whole day without any :shock:

I think she was a bit off colour as she is enjoying her milk much more now but I have definitely found she is not having as much.

at 1 year they should be having between 16oz and 24oz, this includes yoghurts, cheese etc.

I started giving Gabs banana and strawberry milkshake at lunchtime, full fat milk just blended up with either banana or strawberry. Delicious and natural.

I can't believe Harry is almost 1.

:hug:

Same as all the above really. With Aimee I just try to add lots of milk to anything I can. She hardly drinks milk but she never has done, even from being tiny. Shes always stressed me out. I always give her milk shake (powdered) ect. Aimee has about 7 or 8oz a day at the most and thats gone up recently so from the age of about 10 months till about 20 she was only having about 4oz a day and shes fine :D

budge said:
Princess_Puddles said:

kinas recipe is ok but i never add the sugar to it.

I tried not adding it the other day and it just didn't taste the same, also tried with a bit of maple syrup and it still didn't taste that good. I suppose if you don't add sugar then you could put jam or what not in it, but with the sugar it's ok without anything on top.

I bought the ingredients today to make the Annabel Karmel strawberry rice pudding recipe(makes 5 portions for a 9-12 month old or less if you want a taste :) ). It can't be frozen but i'm sure it would keep in the fridge for a few days wouldn't it?

50g(2oz) pudding rice

600ml(1 pint) your baby's usual milk

1/4 tsp vanilla essence

1 1/2 tbsp caster sugar

knob of unsalted butter

strawberry jam

Pre-heat oven to 150c/300f/gas mark 2. Place the rice, milk, vanilla and sugar in a greased oven proof dish and stir well. Dot the surface with butter. Bake for 30 minutes then stir the rice. Continue to bake until the rice is tender(1-1 1/2 hours). Remove from the oven and serve each portion topped with strawberry jam.

I think it sounds quite simple :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back