HELP

Tara & Liam

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some helpful advise regarding getting my little ANGEL to sleep (said through gritted teeth).

We are doing the same routine as with Kieran and he slept through at 6 weeks :D . Joshua was another nightmare and i really cant face it again.

Liam catnaps during the day never sleeping for more than 25 mins at a time. we can just about give him 4oz in a bottle, he wont drink more than that in one go, especially as he hates his milk cold, so he stops if it cools down too much. we have just got medium flow teats, hence the fact that he drinks 4 oz now instead of just 2oz.

He has a bath at around 9pm and then bottle and bed. he wakes at 12pm, 2am, 4am and then 6am. He then starts the catnapping again. he only sleeps if we are in the car or if we go for a walk and the second the pram stops moving he starts crying.

can anyone offer advise no matter how trival you think it is. Liam will be 12 weeks on bank holiday monday.

x

he only sleeps if we are in the car or if we go for a walk and the second the pram stops moving he starts crying.

http://www.babys-mart.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/DRMOV

go to that link i seen a show on them before for a baby that likes to be on the move to sleep it rocks baby to sleep u can put his mosses basket, carrier cot car seat on it

Stressful nights and sleepless babies can be a thing of the past. Dream Mover, the baby soother simulates a mother's heartbeat, moving at between 60 and 70 times each minute

Hi

i dont know if that would work and it is a bit expensive to pay out for that and it doesnt work. Plus Liam sleeps in his cot at night and not in a moses basket. we find that at night he sleeps better in a big space rather than in a cramped space.

do u use lavender baby bath?

if not try that or, have u got a nite light u could use?

have u tried sleeping with one of his sheets one nite then him using it the nite after etc! may miss his mummy

Hi Sarah

We can only use oilatum in his bath as he has sensitive skin. He has my old pillow case with him in his cot but to no availe.(sp) He was awake at 11.30, 2.10 until 3.45, 4.30 and then 7.00.

arent you all envious :lol: :lol:

do u breast feed? i heard that putting some breast milk on muslin and leaving it in his cot??

Davina this is so funny... I have EXACTLY the same problem, I mean EXACTLY!

Brody only ever catnaps, I breastfeed but he only ever has 5-10 mins.

Here's the stuff I've tried:

Routine: (bath expressed bottle, bed) This seemed ok but I never have problems getting hi to sleep, I have problems getting him to STAY asleep!

Big feed before bed: I tried forumula but he won't touch it, I have tried expressing but it didn't make any difference.

Sleep cycles: Babies have a sleep cycle of approx 1 hour, the first part is light sleep, then they go down into deep sleep, then back up into light sleep after about 1 hour. When they are in light sleep they like everything around them to be the same as it was when they first go to sleep. If they were having a feed and a cuddle, that's what they want! If they went to sleep on their own in their own cot, they feel safer when they're in light sleep so are more likely to stay asleep.

Letting him cry: I have tried this a little bit, but at 4am if he wants a feed I can either lie their for ages listening to him whinge or I can feed him. He only ever seems to want a 5 min feed though so I really don't think he can be that hungry.

Weaning: I've been on solids for 2 weeks, yesterday he had 3 "meals" breakfast, lunch and tea, with mashed banana for his "pudding" after tea. Even after this he fit in 2 quite big feeds and went to bed at 10pm. He woke at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8!

None of this has worked for me, but it'd be worth a try if you haven't tried all of it yet!

I might try a dummy soon, and will persevere with formula before bed.

Recently, probably due to weaning, he's lost interest in milk, I try to latch him on and he wants to be sitting up looking at stuff, I'm a bit owrried he's not getting the milk in the day so he wants it at night :?

thats really interesting urchin about the sleep cycle.

we might give that a try. so it will be bath bottle, keep him awake and then put him to bed whilst he is still awake.

joshua was hard as well, he didnt sleep until he was over 3!!!!!

Just a few wee suggestions,
lying him on your previous nights nightie.

Maybe putting him down a bit earlier if this is possible with the other kids.

He doesnt sound as though he is able to get into a deep sleep, im thinking what about the baby whisperer website, im sure she tackles this.

What about running him ragged after tea, toys, play, anthing that involves him moving and excercising then into the bedtime routine.

Im sorry I cant think of anything ese.

Good luck

How about giving him a 4oz bottle then immediatley making another 2oz bottle (warm) then he may take more???

Hi Kim

yes thats what we are going to try. if that doesnt work we are going to try putting him in his cot whilst he is still awake.

Don't know how i missed this post!! Blonde moment... :D :D
Davina & Urchin, I can match your experiences with my own. I'm a walking zombie, but still going dispite lacking sleep!
I was wondering if the weaning was going to make a difference for you Urchin. I just find this whole experience strange. I did a search on "baby using me as dummy" and came up with a few hits - semi reassuring.
Oscar will not tolerate a dummy. My friend that was visiting me from Edinburgh last week had some advice which I decided NOT to follow, although it worked for her..... advice was:
Put dummy in baby's mouth and tie a muslin cloth around mouth area so that dummy can't fall out. It worked for her, but it gave me the "hibbie jibbies" thinking about Oscar gagging on a forced dummy.
I'm searching for advice EVERY SINGLE DAY! I keep thinking I should be sitting upright when I feed Oscar at night and put him straight back in his bed - instead I feed him in bed and he ends up chomping all night long.

What are we to do???? DH here this weekend and I have done little else but feed Oscar!!! Last night he went to bed at 9pm and awake again at 11.15pm. Nightmare really.... anyway - must dash - the boy is urgently requesting another feed!!!!
Help if you can!! :?
Emilia xx

Hi davina

I used to have trouble with my youngest. the first day I brought him home from the hospital I bathed him fed him and gave him a cuddle, he fell asleep so I put him down within 5 minutes he was awake and crying I did this about 5 times each time he'd wake up.

Didn't know what was wrong with him, fully fed, clean and dry nappy.

Thought about how I was lying him (on his back with a blanket over him), so then decided to wrap him in his blanket and this seemed to do the trick he went straight down and sleep from 10pm till 2am had a feed then slept till 6, also slept longer in the day too.

I know your problem isn't exactly the same but if your comfortable with it then it's worth trying.

This website has a bit of info on how to wrap your baby and about safty http://www.swsahs.nsw.gov.au/karitane/docs/wrap.asp

hope this helps

xSuzx

have you tried a mam dummy. Mines wouldnt take any of the ones I bought and as a last resort I gave her this freebie mam one that came with a mag. She loved it. It was latex and the non teat bit shaped her wee face.

is he feeding all those times he wakes in the night or just waking up? Maybe he is sleeping too much in the day therefore waking at night. Aimee also only catnaps during the day but only 3 sleeps in total. She sleeps well at night though so i dont try to get her to sleep longer in the day anymore.
If he isnt feeding enough during the day then he's gonna want it at night, this is another prob im also battling with as Aimee just cant seem to handle big feeds. It sounds terrible but I praticaly false feed her during the day & just keep trying to give her more. We also do a "dream feed" before we go to bed where we feed her in her sleep, it may take a few nights to attempt it but they soon get used to it. He should go longer if you manage to get it down him.
Every baby is different and only you know what he prefers etc.. maybe its just a phase, they do seem to change all the time.

you could try milk for hungrier babies, i was breast feeding Abi and she only started sleeping through when i was giving her formula for bed :) if you're already giving formula try the hungrier baby one
;)

This is my problem too. Luckily the D/H has given me a break by geting up with her all this weeked - but I am back on the shift tonight :cry:

Heidi naps during the day (I try to put her in her cot - but the minute I do she starts crying) However if I let her stay in her bouncer she is as happy as larry and falls asleep really easy. I dont really want her sleeping in her bouncer though. In fact for a couple of nights I let her do that and I slept on the settee next to her as I really do not cope well with no sleep and I tended to give her her own way just to get some sleep :?

I am guessing she is too young to 'wear out' during the day - and she does sleep alot during the day, but if she happens not to sleep much - i.e people are handling her / we are out all day - she then gets overtired and then its even worse?

Like you all I havnet a clue what to do - but its starting to get me down I know that. It is sooo hard to get her to go sleep at night as well. We tried doing bed routine - e.g bath, bottle and bed using nice lavender bubble bath and body lotion, in her room with the lights off etc etc - but it is just not working.

I have also written this in another topic - but I dont know if she is old enough to be left crying until she falls asleep at 8 weeks old??!?? (but she doesnt cry she screams - we have even left her over an hour -doing checks that she was ok but she never fell asleep - i reckon she would of carried on all night if we let her.

She just will not allow herself to fall asleep in her cot - she fights it soo much, she also hates being swaddled?! :evil:

Davina - Heidi is the same - I will take her out in her pram and she loves it and falls asleep. The minute we get in the house she starts again

?

L x

Right girls I may have found what works for Brody!:

Brody fell asleep downstairs at 9.30pm I took him up with me at 11 but he didn't want a dream feed.
In his crib I had put his mattress inside the big T-shirt I wore to bed the day before, and I had a rolled up towel which I wedged behind him to he could sleep on his side. (he's been very fidgety the last few days, always trying to get into his side)
He woke up at 4am! I'm happy! That's 6 and a half hours!!!

All those having trouble, try the T-shirt mattress thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back