Help?!

Discussion in 'Baby Names' started by KateK, Sep 3, 2016.

1. KateK

KateK Well-Known Member

Starting to hone down the names lists.. We really struggle to find common ground with names but have managed to find a few we both like. Don't know what we're having (yet!) Still deciding on whether to find out at our scan on the 16th..

Shortlist for boys: Doug, Stanley, Dexter

Shortlist for girls: Maggie, Delilah

We already have a Poppy.. Opinions welcome!

2. Sparklegirl

Sparklegirl Well-Known Member

I like Dexter and Delilah :D

3. snowbee

snowbee Well-Known Member

Not keen on Stanley (to me it is a knife!). Would you use the full versions of Doug and Maggie? I love Doug and I'm not usually into names that can be shortened. To me Dexter is a breed of cow but I know a few people who have used the name and it always seems to go down well. Like Delilah too, not heard that about much.

Also I love Poppy, if it is a girl would you go for another floral name or do you want them to be totally different? I really like Iris if you go the floral route.

4. KateK

KateK Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! Hadn't even thought about the knife - my Dad just keeps quoting Monty Python so that's putting me off a little! I think it'd just be Doug - not as keen on Douglas.. Not too sure on any of my boy names to be honest I really struggle!

Thank you, we both do love Delilah and as you say you never hear it.. Maggie would be a nod to my late Great Grandma who was Margaret so i'm leaning more towards that for sentimental reasons! We'd then definitely have a floral middle name to carry on the theme - I also love Iris and I love Violet too.. So many options! Thank you though that was incredibly helpful and I really appreciate the honesty!! xx

5. snowbee

snowbee Well-Known Member

Oh I love Violet too. I think it is handy to have a short list but would find it hard to choose a name until they are actually here so I wouldn't stress about not having any boys names you really love just yet. You never know one may suddenly hit you. Another nature name I love is Hazel. That would be on our list apart from the fact it is already in the family.

My oh and I spend hours discussing names and ruling them out (we don't have any on the short list as we seem to find something random about every name, or if we like a name it doesn't go with the surname etc), so I have a massive list of reasons we can't use names!

6. naomi88

naomi88 Well-Known Member

I really like both girl options, and Dexter is my favourite of your boy options :) xxx

7. Kitten1991

Kitten1991 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure on the names, when i was pregnant with my little girl Madeline was on the list but i didn't like Maddy so i struck it off the list.

I had

Girl: Rebekah, Arya, Scarlett

Boy: Lewis, Matthew, Elijah

Believe it or not i set down on Arya and that was going to be her name... She was going to be Arya regardless of peoples influences.

When she was born i saw her and named her Cadence... (Yes like the musical term - it is actually an old english name meaning Rhythm)

8. bluebird86

bluebird86 Member

I like Dexter and Delilah from your list!

9. Sparklegirl

Sparklegirl Well-Known Member

I love how I was about to comment that I love Dexter and Delilah.... yeah well since I already said that ages ago at least I am nothing if not consistent!!

10. KateK

KateK Well-Known Member

Haha! Thanks for both votes of confidence Sparklegirl :) Hope you're ok xxx

11. poppy86

poppy86 Well-Known Member

When I think of Dexter it reminds me of the TV series with that guy from 6 feet under... :(

12. poppy86

poppy86 Well-Known Member

With the success of the TV series The Walking Dead I think there will be a rise of Maggie's being named for a long time to come as she's a strong, loved character who is also pregnant in the show!

My grandmother had a very floral name and I have a strong connection towards floral names. I think it would meet with my dad's approval as he's a big influence on us choosing a sensible name. He also loves flowers so it would be a duel-tribute to go for a floral name for a girl.

#12 poppy86, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017