Help with my baby's crying.

NIE

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.

Adam is 4 weeks old now and seems to be constantly crying to be lifted and talked to day and night. We don't get any sleep unless we sleep with him. We check everything we can think of but it does just seem like he wants loads of attention.

We have tried leaving him to cry, but we feel so bad as he can go on for ages without falling asleep, and his cries get louder and sounds like temper.

Can anyone give suggestions on how we can improve this as we can't get anything done and we are so tired.

Jack was like this in first few weeks. For during the day I got the Mothercare Rainforest Take Along Swing. The motion of it seemed to really calm him and gave me time to do the things I needed I.E housework/shower etc.

For the evening have you tried keeping him entertained before bedtime as much as possible to stimulate him so he becomes tired, then nice warm bath, bottle then bed?

I know those first few weeks are trial and error and so hard. :hug: :hug:

I have tried a swing but it only lasts about 5 mins before the crying starts again.

My hubby watched Adam for 3 hours this afternoon so I could rest upstairs after his feed. It was no good, I never got much rest. Adam cried almost all of the 3 hours. There was nothing wrong with him as when my OH lifted and cuddled him, he would stop crying.

Being close to Adam doesn't even seem to make much difference. Stroking his face or any form of contct is no good unless it is a proper cuddle.

Help!

midna said:
try a swing she never really cryed so it wasnt about that but she used me as a dummy and the swing has liberated me during the day ...I sleep with her at night and will do so untill shes older ...shes only 7 weeks old she still needs the reassurance I think xx

I think that Adam needs the reassurance at night, but it seems to have extended on to day time too. Are you BF? Adam is bottle fed. How long will you continue to co sleep? I think I'll be doing it until Adam is married lol. I really would like him to be able to sleep on his own in his crib. xxx

CalamityGem said:
Hi Anne-Marie, I just emailed you back.

How much does he weigh? How much are you making in his feeds and how much is he taking and how often? It sounds as if, by what you've said in your email that he's hungry.

Are you still on slow flow teats? If so, try him on medium teats... Ava was like Adam last week, really unsettled so I put her on the medium flow teats and it's like night and day. She was getting too tired sucking on the smaller teats and it was making her very cranky.

He weighed 9lb 9oz on Tuesday so he is getting a big boy.

He is taking a max of 4-5oz at each feed, 7 times a day.

I did think of changing the teats but Adam is a very fast feeder and am worried that he will feed too fast on the medium teats. What do you think? xxx

midna said:
Hes deffo not hungry? ...just thats the only time she wont settle ...have you tried swaddling? ....swaddle rock to sleep then put him in swing lol??

I am thinking that I need to up Adam's feeds or change to hungry baby milk as he does seem a very hungry boy.

Adam cries even after a feed, even when I don't think he has wind. I have tried swaddling but as soon as I put him down, he is awake again crying for me to hold him.

midna said:
When babies are full up they usually sleep unless they cluster feed like seed does during the day .. but if hes taking a whole bottle and still grizzly it might be best to put him on something more.

Do you play with him alot mabey hes after more stimulation?

Just trying to think of everything here :hug:

I cant see the teets being a problem if he isnt winging when hes on the bottle ..I think its more to do with the amount hes getting. Whats he like when your feeding him ...is he content?

We play and chat to Adam a lot. We are aware that over stimulation can be a problem too. This is why we like to give him his own space at times.

Adam doesn't really seem to cluster feed. It is more a regular space between feeds. He takes his bottles without any problems but his little belly just won't take more than 4-5oz. I am really thinking that he needs the hungry baby milk. xx

Hi,
Our first little boy Keiran was exactly like your Adam. I couldn have written exactly what you wrote. At the time our health visitor basically blames it on me being too anxious and him picking it up bit we didn't agree. We changed his teats on his bottle to variable flow ones and also we changed the milk from ordinary cow and gate to what is now Comfort milk even though we weren't sure this was the problem. Our health visitor told us not to do this but we ignored her because we had tried the swings option etc but nothing was working. Within a week or so we had a different baby he was much more settled and contented. I can't say that at any point in those first six weeks I thought that Keiran was hungry because I didn't, he was feeding regularly and taking all his bottle but it wasn't keeping him contented where as the Comfort milk was much thicker and kept him happier for longer.
Don't know if this helps but what I would say is that it does get better with time. Keep your chin up and try not to get too stressed ( I know this is easier said than done-many times I was in tears because of it when my husband came home.).x

NIE I would just like to say I hope Adam does find comfort by himself soon for you :hug: Isaac was like that for months, but from late 5months-6months he changed, and now sleeps fine in his cot, all night, with obvious bad days, but wanted to say that he will get better at some stage, I do hope its sooner :hug: very best wishes :hug: PM if you like, I can offer advice as to what we learned through the experience, and I know about that screaming :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hun, he is 4 weeks, so I think those might be colics. I would talk to your HV just in case. If those are, try Infacol (didnt work for us) or Calpol (brilliant stuff)! :hug:

hi hun.. thought i would jsut add to what everyone has said.. exahust all options..if you think he is hungry.. make up 6 oz in his bottle..dont be affraid to cuddle him if thats what he needs? remember he has been inside you for 9 months..he has heard you breath your heart you talking.. its only natural for him to want your body.. also.. check he isnt cold.. i remember charlotte being a right fidgit crying all the time.. and putting a cardigan on sometimes can help?
perhaps go to your health visitor and voice your concerns.. maybe if she see's how he is acting with ehr own eyes she might be able to help you?

remember your the mummy.. you are the one bringing up adam.. if someone sugests somethign you dont agree with you dont have to do it..

gl xx

Thank's for all the replies girls. :hug: It's helped a great deal.

I read somewhere that you cannot spoil a baby under 3 months by giving them too many cuddles, (it's after 3 months that they really click onto it) so I better make the most of them while I can.

You're right, I am mummy, and I have to use my own judgement with what's right for my son, and after all he is only trying to communicate to me the only way he knows how.

I'll have a wee chat with my HV on Tuesday, just to keep my mind at ease, but I'll make my own decisions.

A great big hug to all of you. :hug:

You cannot spoil a baby, and you do know best as Mummy, very best wishes NIE :hug: :hug: :hug:

you definatly cant spoil a baby.. i dont care what anyone says.. all you do is make them secure and form a great bond with you.. whats the big deal when they grow up they are able to come to you with their problems and find comfort in your hugs.. as long as you dont find it emotionally draining on you to cuddle him constantly just enjoy it.. they arnt babys for long enough.. dont let it be a regret ' i wish i just cuddled him' later in life.. you know best.. your his mummy xxx

I agree about the spoiling bit, our Glenn has a lovely little personality and we have cuddled and picked him up from day one, our other kids are alot older than him so he gets lots of attention, i put him on the hungrier baby milk when he was a week old, some babies just need it sooner than others, you will probably find it makes him more content and he calms right down quite quickly, i hope things get better for you.x

Bought the next stage teats and will give them a try. If they're no good just now, then at least I have them in for when he is ready. xxx

hi.
i have the exact same problem with finley at the moment
everything i do doesnt seem to help. but everytime i take him out in his pram he goes sleep and doesnt wake for hours, so now i just out him n his pram (i even have to put his straps and blankets on!) and push him round the house a bit pretend were going out lol and he goes sleep!
im thinking of putting him on hungry baby milk to cus he seems to suck everything that touches his mouth like its a bottle. my HV told me not to but im gunna give it a go as everything shes told me to do doesnt work.
like everyone else says ur his mummy do what instinct tells you :hug: :hug: xxxx

When we have the grizzles we have several plans:
Plan A - Boob 1
Plan B - Boob 2
Plan C - Boob 1 but underarm
Plan D - Boob 2 but underarm
Plan E - nappy change
Plan F - the swinging chair
Plan G - Play mat with his nappy off
Plan H - Gripe Water
Plan I - the sling is the latest plan - just walking around with him for a while chest to chest seems to calm him down.

Oh and the dummy :D

Adam now weighs 10lb 1oz....... :dance:

Spoke to my HV and see said it was ok to put Adam on SMA White all the time now, so I'll finish the last of the SMA Gold and see how we get on.

I can't believe it, :shock: Adam went 5 1/2 hours between feeds last night, and slept for 3 1/2 of them. (in bed with us) :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hi,

Adam seems much more happier after a feed and full of smiles. Fingers crossed it lasts. It must be the hungry baby milk after all.

He is still very unsettled when he is not being held, so I guess he just knows what he likes and is letting me know it. Who cares about the house work and things........I want to spend time having fun and enjoying my baby. I just wish he would let me have a little ME time so I could at least get washed. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back