help! with maternity rights i'm stuck

mel_ed

Reaction score
i usually have 20 days holiday a year.i've not taken any holidays yet so far this year. my holidays run from jan to jan. Am i entitle to take my full 20 days holiday before 31st july???? my boss seems to think that i have to accumulate my holidays over the year and i am only aloud 10 before i go on maternity.
i spoke to a company called acas and they said i'm aloud to use all my holidays??
do any1 else know?
i want to start organising my maternity so i need to sort this out

Im not sure but acas will be right, they are there to tell you your rights. Your boss might just be trying to bull you to save giving you all your hols x

thats wot i thought but i need to get somthing in writting to show her.

my work let me save them all up and get paid them at the end of the tax year, its fab :lol: tbh, i'm not sure how it works, cos i know in some companies you have to work so long before you get so many holidays iykwim? like, you have to work 3 months to take a week's hol, then in another 3 months you get anoher week to take?? maybe thats what he means?

You are still considered employed when you're on maternity leave so I would have thought you would still be entitled to the full 20 days. As ERIN84 said, acas will be able to tell you x

yeh she sed i'm entitle to the full 20 days but i need to know ifi can take them b4 my due date which is 31st july

Yes, you will be entitled to all of your holidays and should be allowed to take them before Mat leave.

Can you get ahold of Mat policy and holiday entitlement policy for your company?

doubt it they r crap only a little dental practice. so not v big compnay. i need to find something in writting to show her. i was hoping i coukd take my 20 days the weeks b4 my due date, hope so

they should let you, they'd only have to pay you them at a later date anyway, may aswell tag it on to the start of your mat leave

i know thats wot i sed. but she sed i'm not aloud! i'll have 2 ring acas again and ask them. its annoying me now.

I think whether they let you take all of them at once is discretionary to be honest hun, not a legal requirement, because they can argue staffing etc. But you are entitled to the whole years worth and if you'd be leaving at the same time with or without using all your holidays at once, your boss can't really use the resources argument. Sounds like your works being a bit unreasonable to be honest, it was my boss that suggested i saved my holiday and took them in one go so i could start maternity leave sooner. Hope you manage to talk some sense in to your boss xx

http://www.personneltoday.com/artic...ts-holidays-bonuses-health-insurance-and.html

thats a couple of years out of date, but it says...

"EEF believes that employees cannot take holiday and be on maternity leave at the same time. This means that an employee cannot take holiday during her maternity leave. This means that an employee must take holiday before she starts maternity leave or when she comes back. So an employee may lose some of her holiday if the holiday year ends when she is on maternity leave."

sorry hun, i hope its changed since then xx

They should let you. If you weren't pregnant would they let you - or anyone - take all holiday by then? Never heard of anyone having to save some for later in the year x

we have to take ours at set times if we're not preggo. i think its a week by july, another 2 weeks before december and then a week between then and march, i think! and we're not allowed holidays over easter or for a few weeks around xmas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back