Help - screams of pain from baby at feeds

HayleyT

Reaction score
I am bfing and have been since birth, my baby is now 6 weeks old. since he was about 2 weeks old, sometimes when
i fed him he would latch on but quickly scream out and draw legs up as if in pain, it was only sometimes so figured bit of wind and he will grow out of it. however it has just been getting worse and it now happens at all feeds - meaning he will have a couple of swallows then 10 mins crying for hours. I have askd hv anf bf support worker who didnt really help.

I have tried everything I can think of to help - diffrnt positions, baby massage of tummy, looked to see if related to anything I was eating, infavol now gripe water. nothing has helped and in fact has gpt worse.

It is making feeding so awful for both of us - has anyone experienced this, have any ideas what it could be or what might help?

Hayley

I I would go to your go- no experience of it myself, but some babies suffer with reflux, and from what I've seen on here, the symptoms sound like what you've describing. If that is the case, I think there are things that can help. Good luck. Must be horrible for both of you. :)

I agree. A had reflux - not overly severe - but these symptoms sound similar. Speak to your GP - they can prescribe baby gaviscon which you can just mix up with some water for bubs - when tried it with A she was like a totally different baby. It's something most babies grow out of though so it won't last forever! Hope it gets sorted for you :) xx

Thanks for your replies - I had wondered about reflux but health visitor didnt think that was it so I just took what they said - but reading more about it his symptoms do fit. I'll book him into gp and see if we can get something to help - thanks again.

Do you have an over active letdown? Similar symptoms to reflux/silent reflux if they are not possessing lots.

I think I do have a fast let down - as if he pops of it will sometimes spray. I have been trying to lean back for feeding and have him more upright, nit sure that this has helped - any other suggestions if this is the problem?

I struggled with fast let down and screaming at the breast! Feel your pain. ....it's awful. I tried lots of reclined nursing positions. I found the best position for him was him sat facing me and straddled his legs so he can pop on and off when he felt the spray was too much for him. Also feeding him when he was sleepy or not too hungry so he didn't feed too aggressively. Pressing down on your boob with a v shape between your nipple is supposed to slow the flow!

I have to say that things got better when he was older about 10 weeks old as the flow/supply settles and they get used to it. Now he fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back