• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help! Lactose Intolerance...

Piglet's Mama

Reaction score
Feel like a fucking shit mother as think B may be lactose intolerant and I'm only realising this now.

She's always had runny nappies, sometimes 3-4 a day but I've got a book that says they can go up to 8 times so I've never really worried. But yesterday and today when she's feeding she's come out in a rash and yesterday, every bottle came straight out the other end. She didn't gain weight at her last HV appointment and thinking about it, every pair of bottoms she owns she's leaked onto with an explosive nappy, some are even like water. I don't think is normal. And now looking on here and on Google I think she maybe lactose intolerant. How could I have missed this? Feel like I've been too laid back and she could have been suffering all this time. Trying not to cry as I won't stop and I've gotta take her to the docs.

Feel awful x

Aww Jen, don't feel like that! You are not a bad mum! She's your first baby so your still learning and you can't possibly know everything. I question myself too sometimes. Try not to get too upset, I know it's hard. Just see what the doctor says. And if there is a problem with lactose then it can be dealt with. Dont go so hard on yourself xx

GP didn't know what the rash was, said to keep an eye on and come back if it persists and they can do bloods for lactose intolerance. I left, fed Brooke and it flared up straight away.

I don't know what to do, she's had the rash on and off when she feeds for 2 days so I know it's a new thing but the rash is worrying me. Someone said it could be teething and when the teat touches her gum it's triggering a rash but I just have a feeling it's to do with milk.

Can anyone with LI babies shed any light please?

where is the rash? does sound very much like Lactose intolerace to me, don't feel guilty about it Hun its easy to not realise these things when its your first. Tegan was incredibly grumpy all the time which is what convinced me something was wrong! are her Nappies a funny colour? i didn't realise the disgusting Poo was a problem until they diagnosed her just thought it was normall for a baby! i've got 2 sealed tins of Lactose free sma sitting in my cupboard that i'll happily send you if you want to try it? then if the rash cleared up/Nappies got better you could go back and TELL the doctor its obviously the problem. Tegan's Dietician said its a very common problem now a days & doctors need to be more aware instead of Fobbing off with 'Colic' or 'reflux' xx

Sorry that was a long ramble! your also more than welcome to pm me Hun xx

where is the rash? does sound very much like Lactose intolerace to me, don't feel guilty about it Hun its easy to not realise these things when its your first. Tegan was incredibly grumpy all the time which is what convinced me something was wrong! are her Nappies a funny colour? i didn't realise the disgusting Poo was a problem until they diagnosed her just thought it was normall for a baby! i've got 2 sealed tins of Lactose free sma sitting in my cupboard that i'll happily send you if you want to try it? then if the rash cleared up/Nappies got better you could go back and TELL the doctor its obviously the problem. Tegan's Dietician said its a very common problem now a days & doctors need to be more aware instead of Fobbing off with 'Colic' or 'reflux' xx

Thanks hun :hug: The rash first came up on her face, it was all around her eyes like she had glasses on, above her top lip, near her neck, ears etc And today it wasn't so much on her face but all her neck, defined around her nipples, on her torso. It comes up as she's drinking her bottle then fades when she's finished. It's red and blotchy/patchy. Her cheeks have also been very rosy today but I've taken her temp and it's fine.

Her nappies are rank, yesterday she had 5 dirty nappies. She can go 3-4 times a day and at least twice most days. Sometimes they look a bit green and sometimes like there are hard bits in them?! My Mum always comments on how gross and runny and smelly they are. We thought it was the norm as I've got a book that say they can go up to 8 times a day...! But I've been thinking about it today and there are times where she's refused food when I know she's hungry and I've had to put the hoover on to calm her down so she'll eat, she's ruined countless vest and bottoms because the nappies just explode. The poo often looks watery. She had been gaining 0.5lb a week which has slowed right down; 11'5 at 8 weeks, 11'13 at 12 weeks and the HV even asked me if she had been unwell. She's always eaten little amounts, no more than 3-4ozs at a time. I don't know if these could all just be a coincidence but you know when you have a gut feeling something is just wrong. I'm convinced it's the milk.

Can you buy the SMA Lactose Free stuff in the shops or does it have to be prescribed? x

It took us a long time to get cows milk allergy diagnosed, they thought it was reflux. Don't feel bad hun, even doctors don't know all the time. We have prescription for Aptamil now, much better

does definitely sound like Lactose intolerance, i had to change Tegans clothes every time she Pood when she was little. you can buy the sma Lactose free milk from boots but its £5.80 for 430g which is half the size of a normall tin! if you want to try it i'll send the two i've got left for the cost of postage (just over £4) as now Tegan's over 1 she's on Lactose free cows milk. xx

does definitely sound like Lactose intolerance, i had to change Tegans clothes every time she Pood when she was little. you can buy the sma Lactose free milk from boots but its £5.80 for 430g which is half the size of a normall tin! if you want to try it i'll send the two i've got left for the cost of postage (just over £4) as now Tegan's over 1 she's on Lactose free cows milk. xx

Do you think so? I think my hubby thinks I'm a bit daft and a friend is saying "Surely she'd be suffering more" and "How come the rash is only coming out now?" It's all valid but I know my girl and something isn't right.

Are you sure about the SMA hun? That would be fab. Just let me know how/where to send the money x

Do you think so? I think my hubby thinks I'm a bit daft and a friend is saying "Surely she'd be suffering more" and "How come the rash is only coming out now?" It's all valid but I know my girl and something isn't right.

Are you sure about the SMA hun? That would be fab. Just let me know how/where to send the money x

Tegan's rash didn't appear until she was about 4 months that when they finally listened & sent her to hospital. my OH didn't think she was Lactose intolerant either just thought i was going crazy. she still suffers now but nothing like she did! will pm you in a bit Hun x

Poppys poos explode out of her nappy pretty much every time, and are extremely watery and smelly. They are also greenish in colour most of the time. The HV assured me that was normal. My friend has a lactose intolerant baby, and before finding out he constantly used to bring up his milk and be very grumpy all the time. Sorry I'm on my phone so didn't read through every post, but is Brooke bringing any of her milk up? x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back