Help he is driving us insane :-(

Hillbilly

Reaction score
I know its a normal stage but its driving us insane. :( DS3 learnt to roll over a few weeks back (he's now 6 mo old) but at night he rolls over and gets stuck on his front and wakes up screaming. Thsi can happen 30 times a night. Same during the day, you can't leave him alone for a moment on the floor as he turns over and get stuck and screams the place down.

We are running up and down the stairs all night (he NEEDS to sleep in his cot now - hates co-sleeping, goes to bed at 8pm) turning him over. The same goes when we get to bed. We're up and down all night on top of his night feeds, turning him back over. We have tried making his mattress into a V shape so he couldn roll but he still rolled and got stuck face down (we were watching to see if ti worked so were close at hand). He knows he is going to get stuck so why, as soon as you turn him right way up, does he turn over again?

Oh yes and we can't sling now either as he hates that too. And car seats. In fact anything that constricts him.

I'm pretty restricted movement wise too as I have a broken ankle so can't keep running about rescuing him and I'm on my own here from 8am until 7pm.

Hints tips? Things that you have tried that work? Help please, it might sound funny to you but its really REALLY driving me mad

Hi Jo :wave:

Ella is the same unfortunately - 3.15am the other morning she woke us up as she was on her front. She can roll onto her back but needs a lot of space, unfortunately she just keeps banging her head on her cot bars when she tries at the moment.

Don't know what to recommend but just wanted to say hi :wave: and sorry about your ankle, what a nightmare!! :shock: :hug:

Hi

Can't you buy wedge shaped things you put in their cot to stop them rolling? I once saw one in tk-max and it was a teddy with a kind of triangle shape on one side. You would have to bowse the internet for one I think.

Sorry, not much help!

Lou :)

Hi Kina :wave:

Thanks. God I don't know what to do. He isn't getting any sleep, we aren't getting any sleep its a blinking nightmare at the moment. Today, I really want to go back to work :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lou: Thats what we tried with the mattress. Stuffing rolled up blankets under the side so that it formed a V shape (the same as those wedgey things you are on about I think except blankets underneath mattress..) but he shuffled his way onto his front and ended up in a worse state than ever.

Hi

Sounds like theres nothing you can do till he has learned to roll himself back over. That could be today, could be next week! Is there anyone who could come over and stay with you for a day or a night or 2 just so you can get some sleep?

Lou :)

I know what you mean Jo - Ella's been a mare too. Although that doesn't help, I hope you find comfort in knowing you're not the only one struggling (but I don't have a broken ankle!). :hug:

Kina: Of course I do (take comfort). I know I'm not the only one. Am just tired I guess :oops:

Lou: No, theres no-one. As you say though. he could learn to roll back tonight or tomorrow. So fingers crossed..roll ye wee sausage, roll!

This sounds really cruel but if he is in a go bag could you safety pin it to the cot matress so he couldnt roll over. Im not being sick but thats a nightmare if he cant get back over and you need to be in at him all night.

Hi,

we had exactly the same problem (but without the broken ankle!) and we did tuck his grobag under the bottom of the mattress (he's in the 6-18 month ones so they're huge). It worked a bit but it still happened until he learnt how to roll back and actually he now only wants to sleep on his front. I wish I had some solution for you as I know what it's like- it's not like you have to feed them or anything but just getting up and having to flip them does enough to disrupt your sleep doesn't it? All I can suggest is giving him more tummy time however much of a nightmare it is. Elliott used to scream on his tum and then spew up but I tried building it up day by day and as he got better at pulling himself up off his tum he got to like it better- now he'd rather be on his front most of the time.

Sorry I can't be more help- sending you hugs though ((()))

+++

lauramum01 said:
This sounds really cruel but if he is in a go bag could you safety pin it to the cot matress so he couldnt roll over. Im not being sick but thats a nightmare if he cant get back over and you need to be in at him all night.

You and Rosebay are stars!!! :D What I've done is actually sew two nice ribbons onto the bottom of his gro-bag and attached it via them to the bars of his cot. He can still wriggle about and kick his egs but can't turn over!!!! (well not so far this morning anyway) Please let this work :pray:

Sounds great Jo - let us know how it goes as it might be something I have to try with Ella!

It WORKS!!!

I only sewed them on loosely so after 2 naps he had wiggled so hard he tore a ribbon off :shock: but sewed it on properly and it works.

I woudl say though - I wouldnt try it with gro bags that are huge on them. I would imagine that they could twist round and get stuck good and proper. James' feet are almost touching the bottom of his bag so when he tries to flip, he can't.

Am making muslin ones this afternoon (gro bags) for this heat so will report backon how they do too.

Hey, glad it worked for you :D I was worried that it might come across as a bit evil but I think if being in the one position really distressed the baby then they would wake you up anyway.

Hi

Kiara does this too and she knows how to roll back over she must just be lazy at nights or somthing lol
As for Kiara shes been sleeping in just her diaper as its been in the 30's here yuck
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back