help, baby moving around cot.........

jano

Reaction score
Has anyone pkease got any advice??? :pray:
My 3 month old daughter has just gone from moses basket to cot, in a grow bag. She moves around the cot so much, and gets her arms caught in the bars and therefore cant suck her thumb and wakes up crying. I have been advised by my health visitor not to use cot bumpers until she is a year old because they arent safe. I cant work out how to safely solve this one.

Any ideas????? :| :pray:

cot bumpers are only unsafe if they are not attached properly and baby can pull them down on top of them - honestly some HV etc are just toooooo cautious, ive never heard that one :think:

I used them early on and its just a case of checking they are tied properly on a regular basis, they stop their little arms getting caught in the bars and if the roll over in the night they dont bump their heads on the bars.

roll some blankets up and stick them on either side of the cot.

Thanks for the replies, I wasnt sure what the problem was with the bumpers either but tend to do as im advised by the HV without question. She seemed so adamant about it too. Hmmmmmmm Don`t know what to do for the best now. Do your babies really move around the cot too?

I had the same problem butr carried on using the bumper, it was fine and he soon leasrned to pull his arms out

i too have always been told no bumpers till a year old, i have Louies at the other end to the cot than the end he sleeps! i think as they get older & they are able to move away from the bumper then thats fine.
i think they advise a year old as tiny babies could maybe (?) breathe into it & suffocate?

they are handy when they are older though :D

Tie the bumper to the outside of the cot?

willow is a meg a fidget shw always ends up the oyher end of the cot i have a cot bumper along one side and blankets at the top end and alnog the other side as everytime i go in to the nursary she is wedged agenst (sp) the bars.

never herd of not using cot bumpers until 1 willows one is tied tight and tucked down the side of her mattress.

THIS IS A Q & A FROM THE BBC NEWS SITE

Can I use a cot bumper for my baby?

In the past, there had been concerns that bumpers may make babies too hot, increasing the risk of cot death.

However, recent research has shown that they have neither adverse nor beneficial effects.

Consequently, FSID and the Department of Health neither promote nor discourage the use of bumpers.

THIS IS A QUOTE FROM THE BABY CENTRE WEBSITE

Cot bumpers

These are made of quilted fabric and go around the inside of the cot bars. In the past it was thought that they could make your baby too hot, increasing the risk of cot death. However, recent research has shown that they have neither adverse nor beneficial effects. Consequently, the Foundation for the Study of Infant Death and the Department of Health neither promote nor discourage the use of bumpers. Stop using them as soon as your baby can pull himself up, as they could help him to climb out of the cot

I THINK YOU WILL BE OK TO USE ONE SO LONG AS YOU CHECK THAT IT IS TIED ON PROPERLY (not in a single bow as they can easily undo them)WITH NO LOOSE STRING HANGING DOWN.

Ruby always spends at least 30mins moving round her cot when we put her down @ 7.30pm...she loves it, its winding down time for her. We leave covers off her, and she crashes out eventually.....

When we go to bed at 11pm ish, we turn her onto her back (she is always lying on her tummy) swaddle her legs in a thin muslin square, under her arms, then tuck a thin muslin sheet over her which we tuck in tight so she cant wriggle free. She is always in the same position a we left her the night before an as the muslin is thin, she doesnt get too hot :)

Sew the grobag to the mattress cover. Seriously. This has been posted before.

Wow!
Thanks EVERYONE for your response to my problem, I am made up that I now have various brilliant ideas, you have all been so genuine and kind to share your ideas with me so promptly,thank you XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back