hellywelly - birth of Evangeline Brigette Quin 30/03/12

hellywelly

Reaction score
Hello all!! Trying to get this down quickly before the next round of jobs that seem never ending now that she's here!!

My waters broke at 2.30am on Fri morning at 39 weeks - total suprise as at my MW appt the day before baby was still 4/5 palpable and I'd had NO signs whatsoever. At this point I had no contractions but the hospital asked me to go in and have my waters checked, so we went in at 5.30am where they had gone but all was ok, and I was sent home quickly, stopping for a MacDonalds breakfast en route!!! Oh, they did book me in for an induction on the Sunday morning at 8am if I hadn't had the baby by then.

Some v mild barely noticeable period type pains in the morning so decided to have a shower and hair wash at midday. Suddenly at 1pm it was like a train had hit me!! Really bad cramping in my back started and seemed much more frequent than I thought it would be. I'd sent hubby to work and called him to come home, and in the 20 mins it took him to get back I was already in a lot of pain hanging over my ball etc. He timed them and I was contracting for 45 secs every 3 or so mins - he went very white and suggested we get a move on to the hospital!!

Spent the journey lying on the back seat really struggling to breathe through them. Got to the hospital about 2pm and was examined at 2.15pm. Was convinced I'd not even dilated so when she said I was already 3-4cm was very pleased!! Pain was very bad by this point, and I wasn't really getting any 'down' time, just constant back pain that peaked in agony every 2 or 3 mins!!

At about 2.30pm they got me to a room and as soon as my midwife arrived I begged her for an epidural. She hooked up the gas and air and I remember screaming at my husband that it was all air and no gas and wasn't even touching the pain!!! She said there was no one available to do the epi at that point and I was starting to lose it with the pain (I remember this as being the worse part). Even though I said I didn't want pethadine by this point I was begging for it, and she went off to fetch some. When she came back she said someone could now do the epi but it meant switching rooms to where I could be monitored and have a drip etc. I was all for walking down the corridor naked but she insisted I put my shoes on and wrapped a sheet round my bottom half (I was wearing a vest on top!!) which I remember being really annoyed about as I just wanted my epi!!

By this point it was about 4.15pm (timings get a little hazy!!) and they were talking about having to get my drip in. The epi lady arrived and I remember telling her I loved her. Then I made the biggest mistake of my life. I remember saying "I think I need to poo!!!". The two midwives looked at each other then said they wanted to examine me again and 5 mins later the lovely epi lady left the room and I was fully dilated with NO EPI!! I'd gone from 3-4cm to fully dilated in 2 hours on just gas and air and had left it too late. I gave up on the gas and air at this point as I really didn't feel it was working for me.

Within 10 mins I was really feeling the need to push so started pushing about 4.30pm. This felt slightly different as I was getting less pain between contractions at this point but pushing was really hard work!! I ended up squatting over the bed, but right towards the end MW said she was struggling to see what was going on as she was having to lie on the floor so I needed to squat on the bed instead, which 10 mins away from giving birth felt like she'd asked me to climb Everest to get on the bed. Then after an hour and 20 mins I got 'the burn'!! A few pushes later my beautiful baby girl was born. We were team yellow so hubby found out what she was and told me and then they passed her through my legs and we had some skin to skin.

Unfortunately I had several grazes and tears, although only 2nd degree so they could be stitched in the room, and hubby had skin to skin while they did this. It did take an hour to put me back together and the MW had to call for 'technical support' (!! another more experienced midwife) at one point, as she wasn't quite sure where 'this part went'??!!! Not good hearing that about your foof!!! lol I am swollen but healing well now according to my 5 day check today, and weeing is gradually stinging less!!

Evie is amazing and I could just eat her up she is so gorgeous. We've had a lot of problems with feeding so am tired at the moment as we are having to try the breast, express and use formula and sterilise bottles so double the work!! But am persevering and MW said today she thinks she will start breastfeeding when her jaundice starts to clear up. She is a monkey, as MW has confirmed my boobs and her positioning are fine, she is just too lazy to suck!!! I have to say this wasn't a problem I had anticipated, but you can lead a horse to water and all that!!

All in all from my first pains to pushing her out was 5 hours and 50 mins, so a bit crazy, and yes, although it felt like agony at the time, the pain really is worth it, and the feeling of that little body slipping out of me was incredible. They did say as well the pain was probably worse as I had already lost all of my waters so had no cushioning, so hope I haven't scared you with my story!!!

And I'm pretty sure I'm completely biased, but I think she is the most lovely thing I've ever seen and I can't believe she came out of me!!!!

Congratulations! Great, positive birth story. I'm team yellow too and got all emotional just reading about you finding out she was a wee girl!! Well done xxxx

Yeah I got to read the full story finally. Making it all real again for me Helen and can't believe this will happen to me soon.

Evie is gorgeous!!!

Congratulations Hun and I love your LO name xxxx

Wow amazing story, lovely name as well. I was 4/5ths at my last appointment and mw said I could be in labour at any time, exciting! Glad ur both ok xxxxxx

Fab story! Congrats Hun! I have to say I proper went :shock: at not knowing where a bit went! You'd think they would bra bit more diplomatic about how they word it lol!

Congrats hun, it sounded like your birth was a more positive experience.

What a trooper doing that on minimal pain relief!

Where are the pics?? :D

Wow, what a quick birth!..Hope mines that straight forward lol!..Congratulations :) x

Great birth hun, I see you missed out all the swearing :D you are so clever :hug: xxxxxxxxxxx

Congratulations Hun and fab story :) can't wait to see pics xx

Sent from my sparkly new iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back