Heartburn Relief?

mum's the word

Reaction score
Any tips on how to avoid/get rid of it without rennie/gavisgon etc? It was murder on my last 2 p/g and I can't eat or drink anything without it triggering heartburn at mo. i stuck to plain bland food and water last time (v.boring) and that helped but this time even boiled rice is setting me off! I'd love to eat a hot curry one night and wash it down with tons of ribena but it isn't looking likely! HELP!!

I had such bad heartburn. My doctor prescribed me Mallox which was a lifesaver, gave instant relief unlike Rennies or Gaviscon! :puke:

If you are looking for something that isn't prescribed all I can reccommend is milk but that only gave me relief for 10 minutes and then the heartburn was back again.

I found that milk was the best for me but I also avoided my "triggers" such as bread. Wine Gums gave me DREADFUL heartburn - in fact it was the rubbish I ate that gave me heartburn. Also when I was hungry. In fact towards the end, everything gave me heartburn!!

I was a big fan of milk too...unfortunately the taste of 'normal' milk makes me sick, so I was downing pints of chocolate milk :D

I found the only thing guaranteed to work last time was Rennies, and I've gone back to them this time too (heartburn is so much worse with this pregnancy!). It's the only thing that gives instant relief, and I'm getting it after eating or drinking anything.

Milk works too, like badgergirl I usually have flavoured milk (strawberry for me :D )

badgergirl said:
I was a big fan of milk too...unfortunately the taste of 'normal' milk makes me sick, so I was downing pints of chocolate milk :D
My friend did this too with Nesquick.

Yay! Now I have a great excuse to down milkshake (not a fan of milk on it's own either!). If it gets much worse I will try the doctor, it's annoying not being able to eat what you like when that's one of your few remaining pleasures isn't it?! Thanks everyone.

badgergirl said:
Chocolate milk would have killed me when I was having my dd lol! Normal milk made my heartburn a 1000 times worse lol so choc milk would have burned a hole im my chest for sure haha
Actually ladies milk is not recommended for heartburn as it increases acid production! It gives a soothing instant relief only to make it worse in the long run!

What I used to have was bicarbonate of soda, about half a teaspoon in about and inch of hot water, stir loads then down in one! FANTASTIC!! The only thing to work with me when i was having my daughter!!

Orange juice is just the worst thing ever, but like an idiot I still gulp it down when i get up for my wee's in the night. Can't get back to sleep then cos it feels like i've swallowed battery acid, did stop buying it but o/h came home with a free carton of it from Tesco last night-all his fault! :wink:

Im sure I kept gaviscon in business during my pregnancy, I suffered from about 6 weeks all the way through and in the end I became immune to the stuff so I started experimenting to try and help myself.

I found that orange juice and oranges in general made it worse and also salad for some reason? Spicy food had no effect and didnt bring it on so I was glad of that as I like spicy stuff. I found that drinking sparkling water really helped me, I used to drink it with meals when we were out in a restaurant and didnt have my gaviscon to hand and it always worked.

I think its down to trial and error, what might work for one person may not work for another.

I've stuck to Rennies, nothing else seems to work...... I wish I liked milk but can only seem to do hot choccie which aggrevates the heartburn.......

The GP prescribed Gaviscon Advance for me, my god that stuff is disgusting, it was like lumpy cold man mayonaise....... :puke: :puke: :puke:

I've got acid reflux and i was told by my doctor who also has it that milk actually makes heartburn far worse- it offers temporary relief as it has that cooling feeling but don't go downing pints of milk or milkshake as it willl just come back later far worse!!! I used to think milk was good too because i read it on the net somewhere but its an irritant!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back