• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Heartbeat

erin

Reaction score
Hi all!

I had a midwife appointment today. Everything was ok, blood pressure, urine sample, she also did the blood tests for blood group and hepatitis/HIV/thalassemia etc. All fine. Up until the time she checked for baby's heartbeat.

Couldn't hear it! She said it was because the baby was moving and tried for a while and at some point she said she found it. I was so terrified by that time that I couldn't really tell, as the noise wasn't as loud as usual - you know, like horse hooves - it was a rather subtle noise, very faint. She said that's normal if the baby is closer to the back and I asked so are you sure that's the heartbeat. And she said, yes definitely, it is the heartbeat. I don't know...i guess she would have told me if anything was wrong, wouldn't she? :?

Then I asked her how much it was, because I thought she didn't even count it and she said, well, normal for a baby at that stage. Oh, I'm so confused, I wish I had a doppler to check it myself - next appointment is in 3 weeks! :(

Now I'm checking my notes and on the page where the midwife writes her notes, in the box FH/FM (foetal heart/foetal movement), she wrote down FH(S) the first time (3 weeks ago - when I heard it clearly) and this time she wrote FH(U). Any idea what S and U mean?

Thanks

hi hun, im sorry i dont know wot s or u mean but i have a doppler and last week all movement cud b felt lightly and heartbeat was reall faint nd swishy noise, today i listened and heartbeat was at the front and was really really loud and sounded like hooves. im sure everything is fne and she wud have had to say if she thought there wasnt! hth xxx

Hun I am sure everything is fine she would have referred you if it wasn't but if you're still worried just book another apt for sooner or take a trip down to A&E they'll be able to check for you I am sure.

I hate it when they write criptic messages!
I'm sure everything is totally fine, if she was concerned she would have booked you in for tests and scans or whatever. xxxx

Hiya

Try not to worry my mw cant always hear my baby proply due to my little princess moving all the time :rotfl: but sometimes she gets it perfect FH(S) stands for Fetal Heart Sound i think not too sure i suppose you could ask her when you next speak to her or give her a ring if you have her phone number and ask her.

They dont tend to be able to hear the heartbeat untill your 16 weeks, i can see your only 14 weeks, so i wouldnt worry just to much ok..

hugs :hug:

ya also depends if babys in a good position for u or mw to hear it :)

Hi

Im sure all is fine like the others have said :hug: i know its normal to worry
Katrina

i wouldnt worry hun, my mw wouldnt let me hear until 24 weeks to avoid worrying if we couldnt hear it. your LO will be fine, its prob just the position he/she is lying in :hug:

Oh, thank you all so much for your comments. :hug: You've really put my mind at ease. I guess, as you said, had something been wrong, she would have referred me or something, so I will just wait for the next appointment. :|

Do you think getting a doppler is a good idea? I am scared of all the stress of trying to find the heartbeat every now and then, I don't know. On the other hand, it would be some kind of reassurance, when things like that happen. :doh:

erin said:
Oh, thank you all so much for your comments. :hug: You've really put my mind at ease. I guess, as you said, had something been wrong, she would have referred me or something, so I will just wait for the next appointment. :|

Do you think getting a doppler is a good idea? I am scared of all the stress of trying to find the heartbeat every now and then, I don't know. On the other hand, it would be some kind of reassurance, when things like that happen. :doh:

ive got a prenatal listner which is nice to hear LO heartbeat. Im not always able to hear it but i dont worry because my pregnancy has gone really smoothly, i can imagine someone who has had probs etc to worry a lot if they dont hear it. i think its up to you but you may end up causing yourself unnecessary worry.

Because of my bleeds and complications we bought a doopler and i can honestly say we dont use it all the time but if i've had a day when i havent felt him move much then DH spends anywhere between 2 mins or 20 to find him lol

It does reassure us both and is worth getting in my opinion.

HTH :hug:

I used my doppler quite a lot to begin with (sometimes twice a day) and always found baby almost straight away. Now I can feel baby move every day I don't really use it at all any more. About 2 weeks ago it took me about 20 mins to find the heartbeat and I was majorly stressed out by it, so that's another reason I don't use it as often because it did freak me out a bit. I don't suppose that was much help but I guess it's really up to you xx

It's not unusual in the early weeks to be unable to hear the heartbeat. The baby can be laying in a position which makes it more difficult too.

My GP said it's not usual to find the heartbeat at 16 weeks when I went for my check up. Although personally I didn't agree with that as I had heard it twice at other check ups before that time.

Basically, don't worry yourself over this, at 14 weeks there's still a way to go and you will get lots of opportunities to hear (and feel!) your baby in the coming weeks.

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back