Health visitor

Suzie and Faith

Reaction score
Is/has anyone else met theirs yet?
I got a call from one this morning and she's coming to say hi next Monday and explain what she does and bring me my 'red book'

I was a bit baffled (and she'd woken me up) so i didn't actually say much!

Is it normal to meet your health visitor? Any ideas why?

She seemed really nice :) i just wasn't expecting it!

I don't meet mine until after baby is born- I'd like to though! I think I would feel more at ease if I met her now- at the moment I am dreading the health visitor coming round cause I think I'll be an awful mother! :roll:

i met mine over a month ago
shes a fool i hate her already all she did was moan about my rats and lizard saying i shouldnt have them in the living room :roll: :roll:
they just give you loads of leafets about breastfeeding, jabs clinic opening times things like that mine stayed for about an hour
manda xx

i met mines a few weeks ago at an appointment. they wil follow babies development for first few months and also see how you're doing, they'll do your edinburgh post natal depression scale etc, they are really helpful and can be great support :D

I think some people do meet their health visitors before baby is born (prob because they do a disappearing act afterwards!!! Cynical? Moi?!). We met 'ours' when she did the last antenatal class but although she's my named HV, I've not yet dealt with her!

I don't meet mine till after the baby is born. I got my red book etc with my homebirth kit already :think:

My MW does the first stint then hands over to the HV once all sorted.

I'm hoping I get someone I actually like. I know why they have HV but I don't relish someone coming into my home to check up on things.

I haven't met mine yet, though one of the team did attend the antenatal classes and seemed lovely.

Back in Plymouth I absolutely hated the health visitors, they never seemed to want to answer my questions about feeding or bedtime routines, they were just so obsessed with postnatal depression, even though I never had it and there was never any sign that I did :wall: :wall:
I stopped taking James to clinic after about 3 months old cos I got so fed up with the stupid health visitors, I never believed what they had to say either. They were useless for getting info out of.

Hopefully they seem a lot nicer up here, I think because I'm living in a small town now as opposed to a big city. The health visitors have more time to devote to each person and are less stressed.

Sherlock said:
I'm hoping I get someone I actually like. I know why they have HV but I don't relish someone coming into my home to check up on things.

A HV came to our house when Finn was 14 days old to do his hearing test etc but other than that, I've only seen the HV at the clinic. I've dealt with the community nursery nurses far more who are lovely helpful ladies.

muppetmummy said:
Back in Plymouth I absolutely hated the health visitors, they never seemed to want to answer my questions about feeding or bedtime routines, they were just so obsessed with postnatal depression, even though I never had it and there was never any sign that I did :wall: :wall:

That's what worrys me- that they aren't there to support me; more to make sure the baby is 'safe' with me.
When I asked my midwife about it at the last visit she said you normally get signed off after 10 days but if the health visitor thought I needed more support then she'd review it. One of the health visitors around my area is the mum of a girl I went to school with and I am petrified that she'll just see me as a little girl (I'm 19 so not THAT young :roll: ) and won't let me learn things for myself which is all part of being a first time mum. :wall:

me and James stayed under the care of the midwife for the maximum time (28 days I think :think: ) due to the breathing problems he'd had as a newborn, so I didn't transfer over to the HV's till then.

I was a single parent at the time and I think they thought that because of my circumstances there, combined with having a poorly baby, and being a young mum, I was a likely candidate for the PND. They could be very patronising at times and wouldn't stop going on about me being a young mum, I was 22 so hardly a kid!

They did come around to my house the first few times but didn't seem particularly critical. I remember one told me off once for hoovering just because she was coming around, she was like, the housework can wait, get some sleep! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back