health visitor

titch

Reaction score
yesterday we had our first visit from our health visitor. Is it just me or did your first visit feel like a visit from a social worker?!i felt so judged, she wanted to know everything about our relationship and my family. then she checked his whole body for bruises. then gave me a tallk about how if he goes to a&e or the police are called to our house she'll be notified and will pay a visit. :eh: she said if it was "just a domestic" she'd just file the paperwork cos aparently "we all have the occasional row"... um yeah we bicker about where the coffee table should go but we dont get the police called out!!!:shock:

yup! i hadnt seen my health visitor for yonks, then jacob had croup and miracurously after months she called to say she'd been informed he had been taken into hospital, i was just like ta for checking. but really you're just being a nosey bugger :roll:

Last edited:
Wow! That's pretty intense! God I hate that sort of attitude, just assuming you will be having rows and stuff, very odd! It's not like you'll be launching that coffee table at him lol (well it's tempting) x

oh god that sounds like a nightmare! I thought they were meant to be a support not, stressing you out!! Our first visit is on Friday and I'm dreading it, we're renovating a lot of our house at the moment and it all went on hold when I got pregnant and because so much of the house isn't useable at the moment it never looks tidy and I just know we're going to be judged about it!! I guess I'll just have to make sure everything is clean and hope for the best!!

I know they have to check him over but the way she did it made me feel so scared that if there was a little scratch or something i'd be in big trouble, fortunately hes fine! She kept asking me if we have a routine yet, we've only been home a week!!

I was a bit worried about meeting my HV but she came round a week ago and she was lovely! I thought maybe she'd have something to say about formula feeding but just said well done for trying, and she was very concerned Id had an emergancy c-section and how I felt about it all. I think I may have lucked out with mine lol. I cant believe they think the 'odd domestic' would involve the police being called?!?! What kind of domestics is she having!

oh god that sounds like a nightmare! I thought they were meant to be a support not, stressing you out!! Our first visit is on Friday and I'm dreading it, we're renovating a lot of our house at the moment and it all went on hold when I got pregnant and because so much of the house isn't useable at the moment it never looks tidy and I just know we're going to be judged about it!! I guess I'll just have to make sure everything is clean and hope for the best!!

isnt it so stupid that we have newborn babies and feel like our house has to be perfect for the one person who is supposed to support us!

Yours sounds nice Melio, I hope mine isn't some kind of dragon lol

Tiny - how long did she stay? Did she have a nose around the house or anything? I'm so paranoid :oooo:

I was a bit worried about meeting my HV but she came round a week ago and she was lovely! I thought maybe she'd have something to say about formula feeding but just said well done for trying, and she was very concerned Id had an emergancy c-section and how I felt about it all. I think I may have lucked out with mine lol. I cant believe they think the 'odd domestic' would involve the police being called?!?! What kind of domestics is she having!

she asked how the birth was, andwhen i told her about it all i felt like she really couldnt care less. like she was just hoping id say 'fine'

she probably thinks im gonna have PND now from the trauma! :roll:

i did wonder what was going on in her home when she said that!!

Last edited:
Oh God it sounds as though you have the HV from hell! Thats terrible! She should be giving you awesome advice and support!

Yours sounds nice Melio, I hope mine isn't some kind of dragon lol

Tiny - how long did she stay? Did she have a nose around the house or anything? I'm so paranoid :oooo:

no she just stayed in the living room, about half an hour

The first time our HV came round i was petrified - i was nearly full term and she popped over because she likes to meet people before they have the baby to gauge what sort of people they are (its hard to notice things like PND if you dont have an idea of moods and manners before) i tidied all day and had the house as perfect as possible for her, she was FINE though - totally up for co-sleeping (with a cot next attached to the bed) really understanding about me delaying vaccinations for a couple of months... really positive :)

She is also a breastfeeding pro and has been really helpful to me in that respect

I have found my HV in particular really good for problems that i may have like when Jasper had consitpation, she was able to give me more natural ways of dealing with the problem which is brilliant because the doctor would have reccomended a laxative i imagine and that sort of defeats the point!

She is very 'homely' and is always on call if i need to talk to her, for me she is a follow on of the brilliant care i recieved from the community midwives.

So i think some HVs can be arseholes, but some are absolutely lovely and a total asset to have around to talk to, mostly she has just stopped me from fretting about various things and reminded me everything is okay

I had a new health visitor this time, but she was as lovely as my last one. We got on really well and she has followed up on babes progress via phone. No questions about arguments or the like - sounds like yours is a bit extreme Tiny - i've never had any questions ike that - at least you don't see them as much now as you used too!

I love my HV, she is class!! I think that any HV that makes you feel uncomfortable should be sacked coz thats not what they are about. I never clean my house for her coming round coz she understands that with 2 babies and an 8 year old running in and out my house isn't going to be perfect all the time. I think a HV should be like a friend not an enemy. Its such a shame some of them are beasts xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back