Having a nightmare - financially that is!

KirstyL

Reaction score
OMG! What a day, this will go on a bit so I'll apologise now!

Basically to cut a long story short, my OH has been unemployed since September last year, despite applying for heaps of jobs constantly, and has been living in his own place, getting HB, CTB and JSA.

Now, he's moving in with me at the start of June. The guy at the job centre asked if I was working etc, and he said yeah, but due to finish in a couple of weeks, and then on SMP. Job centre guy said that his JSA will stop, because they look at the income of the household..

Now I'm worried because all we'll have is my SMP (normal rate), WTC, CTC & CB - which would be fine, except I'll have all the bills for the both of us to pay, and the rent, council tax etc :( I thought I heard somewhere that if the income was under 23k, we'd be entitled to some benefits, but I don't know if this is true, does anybody know, and if so, do you know which ones?

I'm worrying myself silly atm, wondering how we're going to be able to afford everything, it's a nightmare, I'm trying to stay calm, and not stress too much either, not happening atm!!

xx

I'd get your self to the citizens advice and see what they advise, I'm sure you are entitled to something

Try not to worry x

I'm surprised his JSA will stop. Maybe go back and speak to them again. Or like Esomes says try CAB. Fingers crossed he will get a job soon, so hard just now.

He should still me able to claim JSA and you should be able to get Income Support as well now you're past 29 weeks if you're on a low income... xx

I'd get your self to the citizens advice and see what they advise, I'm sure you are entitled to something

Thanks hun, am just about to make an appointment for the CAB and see what they say, there must be something surely...

I'm surprised his JSA will stop. Maybe go back and speak to them again. Or like Esomes says try CAB. Fingers crossed he will get a job soon, so hard just now.

I know Sarah, it's really hard. He's getting really depressed and demotivated too, cause it's just rejection after rejection, or not hearing back at all. I'm suprised it will stop too, I think I need to make an appointment with Job Centre Plus as well once I've gone on Maternity Leave, and make sure they know the situation and see if there is anything they can do.

Have sent an email to the benefits department at the council, so hopefully hear back from them soon too - it's so stressful :(
xx

Fingers crossed they will help you out. My hubby about to change jobs which involves a pay cut but on the upside (why he's taking it) it's in Norway instead of Australia (he's offshore worker) so much less traveling and better shifts for when baby arrives, so we'll need to make cut backs for a while too. I take it he's applied for random jobs he wouldn't normally go for? the job hubby just got he really didn't think he would get as it's a different part of the trade and he has no previous experience in this area, so you never know these things can go your way when you least expect it. Good luck x

Fingers crossed they will help you out. My hubby about to change jobs which involves a pay cut but on the upside (why he's taking it) it's in Norway instead of Australia (he's offshore worker) so much less traveling and better shifts for when baby arrives, so we'll need to make cut backs for a while too. I take it he's applied for random jobs he wouldn't normally go for? the job hubby just got he really didn't think he would get as it's a different part of the trade and he has no previous experience in this area, so you never know these things can go your way when you least expect it. Good luck x

Norway! blimey :)
Yeah he's applied for everything and anything, he's said he'll do anything, he doesn't care anymore, but it's just getting past the hundreds of letters that employers must get. We've changed his CV a fair few times, because he was coming across as far too qualified for a lot of positions, so Employers were getting wary he'd get bored and run off shortly after starting, it's really hard, but hopefully we'll get a break soon.
Thanks hun.xx

He should still me able to claim JSA and you should be able to get Income Support as well now you're past 29 weeks if you're on a low income... xx

I wish! He can't claim JSA, because it was Income Based, and they look at what I get, and deduct it £ for £ :( Also, I can't claim IS, because I'm on SMP from work. It's all swings and roundabouts or so it seems.
We can't get the Sure Start Grant either - it's just one kick in the teeth after another :(
xx

If you can claim CTC then you can claim a sure start grant once baby arrives.
Your local council should be able to help with Rent and Council Tax benefit. OH and I will actually be better off when pickle arrives so hopefully with the right advice from CAB you'll be in same situation

If you can claim CTC then you can claim a sure start grant once baby arrives.
Your local council should be able to help with Rent and Council Tax benefit. OH and I will actually be better off when pickle arrives so hopefully with the right advice from CAB you'll be in same situation

LO is not my first, (although he's OH's first) so apparantly we can't get it :(, be great if somehow we did, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Yeah I finish work next Friday, so am going to be making appointments with the Job Centre, Council & CAB, to see what they all say. Hopefully we'll be in an ok(ish) position financially. We'll manage somehow, people always do don't they. x
x

you are right you wont get the sure start if its not your first child.
If you are on low income then you will still be eligible for housing benefit and maybe council tax benefit cant think of anything else

I had the same thing...I earnt about £!20 a week part time when my partner moved in..although his JSA was stopped he still had to sign on every other week just incase I wasnt able to work!! His was incvome based and they asked for detials of EVERYTHING to do with me not him even though it was his claim!

But we did also get housing benefit and council tax beneift so you should be able to claim that surely?? Like LisaB said that website is quite good for working out what you'll get :) good luck xx

I had the same thing...I earnt about £!20 a week part time when my partner moved in..although his JSA was stopped he still had to sign on every other week just incase I wasnt able to work!! His was incvome based and they asked for detials of EVERYTHING to do with me not him even though it was his claim!

Thanks guys :)
Jaxx, my OH is also currently on Income Based JSA, so I guess that means I've got to look forward to them wanting details of my life then, lol!

I have had a look on that website before, but I got in a bit of a pickle with it, I don't think I had my "thinking" head on that day! I was trying to do it from when bubs is here, but was getting in a mess, i'll have another look later today.

My boss has also mentioned about me staying at work for another 4 weeks, which I don't want to do (was meant to leave next Friday), as I'm shattered now, so can only imagine what I'll be like then, but I think I might have to, as we could really do with the money. Oh the joys!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back