Having a down syndrome scan? What happens?

jazzmum2be

Reaction score
My midwifes coming out tomorrow to sign a form so I can book an opintment to have a down syndrome scan. She asked me if I new what happens with a down syndrome scan on the phone and I said I did because she sounded busy, but I actually dont no what happens. Is it just a scan or do they do internal tests? :( and other things?

You are probably going to have a Nuchal Scan which some hospitals do for dwons testing instead of the blood tests at 16 weeks. Not all hospitals offer this yet on NHS. This is done at your dating scan so around 12 weeks (has to be done before 13+6) so in addition to dating the pregnancy they also measure the fluid in the baby's neck which can help to determine downs risk. They usually also do blood tests at the same time and send these together with your scan measurements to come up with your downs risk factor.

I had this instead of the 16 weeks bloods and it's fine, to be honest as it was first time i'd seen bubs i was just so happy i didn't even think about it!

Also will i be able to get a picture at this scan?
Do they print it off for you or do you take it on your phone?

I haven't heard of any hospitals not giving photos, they all seem to but some you need to pay for the photos, others give them free. So take some change with you when you go just in case, i got 2 when i had mine and they suggested a donation of £3 i think.

ooo yey :cheer: my cousins fiance wants to see pictures and keeps bugging me about it :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back