Has anyone weaned early?

Jen&James said:
Its just that there are SOME mums who do come over all preachy about the weaning debate because they were able to follow the guidelines. As I said earlier, if you are able to do that then fantastic! And i hope that i will be able to with baby 2. But sometimes it is impossible to stick to the guidelines for a multitude of reasons and actually becomes harmful to baby to follow the guidelines, as it did with James.
I truely believe that there isnt a right answer to this and many other parenting questions. What drives me mad about this forum is that some people believe their way is the only way and whether they mean to or not, they make other mums who dont follow their way, feel inferior. Believe you me, its not only me who feels this way. Im just feeling hormonal enough not to care about saying it today where as others dont like to rock to the boat.. :D

Mothers intuition is a vastly under rated gift. I think every mum on here wants to do the best for their children and whilst I agree that medical research etc is important and should be listened to, you also shouldnt kill yourself trying to follow it to the letter if it doesnt always agree with baby and you.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

beanie said:
hmm I am one of these "not wean till six months" mums and I don't think I have actually slated anyone for weaning early - I have perhaps offered advice but at the end of the day if you choose to wean early then that is your choice and I will respect that.

There are two things here - when you say wean early do you mean before the six months, or do you mean before 17 weeks which is the earliest minimum age recommended as research has shown that before this the gut isn't fully matured and this can lead to an increased risk of allergies, stress on kidneys etc. If you wean before 4-6 months then your HV will be able to guide you through what you need to do etc. If it is before 17 weeks I would advise seeking medical advice about this (not a HV) and get advice from someone who knows about weaning. I was weaned early and I did suffer from an allergy to gluton which was horrible when I was younger, and still affects me to this day (though thankfully not as badly), so I do have a different point of view. Like midna said there are all sorts of growth spurts happening and this is your baby telling you they need more milk not solids, so you need to make sure its not a growth spurt.

I am also one of the ones who wants to wait till 6 months plus for weaning. However i also do think that it up to each individual person as to when they wean their child.
Research tells me that my LOs tum may not be ready for weaning till at least six months so i am gonna try and get to that age ideally.
My LO had been feeding from me constantly lately and watches me eat etc. And she has doubled her birth weight. I am assuming it is a growth spurt. My OHs mum also continues to tell me she weaned from 4 months. But i currently am perservering with just the breastfeeding at the mo and see how LO goes.
I wish you good luck with the weaning :)

I completely agree mothers intuition is under rated, and I am an advocate for it,my mothers intuition about having my baby in bed with me from day 1 and carrying her completely horrifies my health visitor and midwife but my heart told me this was what was right. However I do think it should be balanced out with reading around and making an informed choice, so I know what the risks are with co-sleeping and I know how to do so safely. I know other mums who have used their "intuition" and have put their babies at risk (this is not to do with weaning per se) unknowingly. That is why I say ask a medical professional, like Gem has. This way if baby does need to be weaned early then they can get the right advice on how to do so, what foods to avoid etc.

I do think my way is right for me and my children (otherwise I wouldn't do it) and I am passionate about certain aspects such as breatfeeding and baby wearing but I hope I haven't come of as its my way or the highway :? . I too am rather hormonal today, though think mine is a hangover of Cally's pregnancy ;)

Interesting discussion.

As a bottlefeeding mum I've felt under a lot of pressure to start weaning my DD at 4 months. 2 health visitors suggested it as the all-out solution to Becky's reflux when she was actually fairly settled even though she was throwing up all the time. Now she's on Gaviscon she is taking 5-6 7oz feeds a day and sleeping from 7.30pm-6am with no feeds in between. Interstingly enough a friend who was going through something very similar (baby born on the same day as mine) who is breastfeeding was told to stick with the feeding and it would improve. :roll: No consistency there.

The bottom line is that every mum knows their baby best. I know my daughter won't be ready for weaning any time soon (doing well on what she's getting, gaining weight but not overly interested in food) but if she started demanding 8oz an hour I might reassess. I'm hoping that we can get as close to 6 months as possible and do BLW.

Oh, and I was weaned at 4-5 months and don't have any food allergies at all.

beanie said:
I completely agree mothers intuition is under rated, and I am an advocate for it,my mothers intuition about having my baby in bed with me from day 1 and carrying her completely horrifies my health visitor and midwife but my heart told me this was what was right. However I do think it should be balanced out with reading around and making an informed choice, so I know what the risks are with co-sleeping and I know how to do so safely. I know other mums who have used their "intuition" and have put their babies at risk (this is not to do with weaning per se) unknowingly. That is why I say ask a medical professional, like Gem has. This way if baby does need to be weaned early then they can get the right advice on how to do so, what foods to avoid etc.

I do think my way is right for me and my children (otherwise I wouldn't do it) and I am passionate about certain aspects such as breatfeeding and baby wearing but I hope I haven't come of as its my way or the highway :? . I too am rather hormonal today, though think mine is a hangover of Cally's pregnancy ;)

Agree entirely. :hug: :hug: I saw a doc too about weaning James at 12 weeks.

Hormones hey?! Who'd have em! :lol: :hug:

Jen&James said:
beanie said:

Agree entirely. :hug: :hug: I saw a doc too about weaning James at 12 weeks.

Hormones hey?! Who'd have em! :lol: :hug:

not me,sick of the bloody things :rotfl: :hug:

Although Dan was 4 weeks premature I didn't wean him until he was 6 months (well a few spoonfuls of rice about 10 days before). He had seemed interested in our eating before hand, but as he seemed interested in anything we did I didn't necessary take this as sign! He did however have various growth spurts over the period but I just adjusted his milk accordingly.

I am terrible for sticking to guidelines as although I do trust my mother instincts, I realise I don't know more than scientists who have actually researched the subject thoroughly. That is not aimed at anyone :hug: it's just how I feel about myself.

Personally I find it hard not to consider theses guidelines.....................food allergy's are on the increase. And it's been suggested that children are being exposed to some foods too soon in life when their immune systems are still developing
.........peanut allergy's, wheat allergy's, obesity hugely increased in Britain, type 2 diabetes. And I didn't know anyone that was lactose intolerant when I was growing up! :wink:
I'm not suggesting this is because of early weaning, but it is food for thought (excuse the pun!) and a lot of theses rises are dietary related. Because of this I am very strict when it comes to Dans diet. I have been called a mean mummy many times because I won't let him eat sweets/icecream/choc etc. He has had the odd treat since he became one, I'm not that much of a meanie! :lol:

But again, all this is my own personal preference based on my research and my baby. It's what I chose to do for my own reasons and I respect what others decide.

Thankyou everyone for your replies i really wanted to see things from other peoples point of view.

I feel that he really does need to start having something other than milk as others have said you know your own child best.

So, I have just tried him with some baby rice and he was squealing with delight at each spoonful :D he has promptly fallen asleep!

I started weening Dafydd at 4 mths :D

When i had my first baby 10 yrs ago, my grandmother phoned me when she was a week old and asked me if i had started giving her rice yet :rotfl: she said that's what they used to do!

These health proffesionals will change their minds again within a couple of years, i say go with YOUR instincts as mothers now their babies best, yes take advice but do what you think is for the best. Good luck.

With Jamie I started weaning about 4.5 months and that was fine then, but he was on 9oz hungry baby formula and was so ready for it.

Charlie is coming up 4 months now and although he loves watching us eating etc I don't think he is ready just yet, he is still only taking 6-7oz of stage 1 milk 5 times a day and seems quite happy with that atm. So before I consider weaning I know I can try putting his bottles up and hungry baby forumla before I have to start the weaning.

I agree you follow your instincts coupled with advice from those who are paid to advise. Every baby is different and my 2 certainly have been.

Emma glad he took to it well :D

Jen&James said:
Im probably a glutton for punishment responding to this thread because I'll probably get berated by the "BF til 6 months and food is evil til this point" mums, however I will because I believe strongly in doing whats best for your child and that individual mothers know best what is best for their baby and I can completely understand your worries as I had exactly the same thing with James.

He has been on extra hungry aptimil from when i stopped BF at about 4 weeks and like your little one, would happily consume a full bottle every couple of hours. At 12 weeks, with the consensus of my doctor, I gave him some baby rice with his final feed and started the weaning process from there.

He is 6 months next week and currently has 3 bottles a day plus his weetabix and homemade meal for lunch followed by a pud of some description.

He is such a happy healthy boy and I feel that I did exactly the right thing for him because he was pretty miserable before I weaned him.

Now he goes 4 hours between each feed and is content happy and healthy!

I would say if you have the sort of baby where you can follow the ideal of BF til 6 months then do the whole baby led weaning thing your very fortunate. Dont put your babies health and happiness at risk because you feel underpressure to follow the "ideal" guidelines. Your his mummy, do what YOU think is best. :hug: :hug:

+1 to all above.

Hannah was a starver and huge baby too - she doubled her birthweight in about 9 weeks! she also had 4 teeth by the time she was 3 months.- she was on hungerier formular and was just never ever satisfied. I started her on babyrice and the odd rusk at about 14-15 weeks. She was absolutly fine. She didnt get 'dinners' ect till she was 6 months tho.

Every child is different and im a firm beliver that they will lead you.

Emily has now got 2 teeth, she pileing on the weight, but i know shes not ready for weening - as she IS satified with bottles, and she dosnt show any interest in food that im eating (unlike her sister did)
Ill ween emily when she shows me the signs.

i was a 'get to 6 months mum..' but there was no way teds would have got there we got to 21 weeks and that was that.. i dont feel bad for weaning him early.. hes fine and healthy and weighed around 20lb now.
some babies dont need it others do. i used to preach to mothers including a few who have posted here now. and i am sorry i did because untill you have been there with a baby who is starving and has downed 9 oz still wants more but has already had 5-6 bottles when the advise is to give 4 what can you do?

end of the day its only guidelines you know your baby and you know if they need food. like jen said there are some babies out there that get to 6 months and there are some that need it earlier. why should mothers feel guilty for feeding their babies when they need it? i think it would be neglect to NOT give it if they need it. yes aim to get to 6 months aim to follow the guidelines but dont feel guilty if your baby needs the food.

I got slated in a former weaning post, but dont care, I said it before and will say it again, go with what is right for your baby :D You are the best person to judge what is right for your baby.

Having had 4 children before Theo, I weaned them all between 12 and 16 weeks, and they are all healthy and fine, no food allergies, tummy upsets, or any other food related problems and I fully intend to wean Theo in the next couple of weeks, he is about 171/2 lbs now and defo needs it.

Good luck

I think it's a balance between trusting your instinct and being aware of research and current guidelines. I would try to aim for 6 months (i.e not weaning a contented baby at 4 months just because that's what people used to do). However, if you feel your baby is ready before 6 months then you should go with what you think is right. You know your baby best - professionals are there to offer advice not to tell you what to do.

my baby was 10 weeks prem he is 31 weeks and 21 weeks corrected . I contacted the 'so called profesionals' and got conflicted advise. Consultant said wean at 6 months from corrected date and Bliss prem website says from 5-7months birth date and HV said go half way between the two. so in my opinion go by your own instinct cos the guidlines change so much that even the 'professionals' dont get it right. rant over :D
ive just started giving baby some baby rice but will be taking it slowly.

Due to my sons reflux I have been told to wean him early. The Pead in hospital last week, when he was admited was shocked that I was not already giving him baby rice, and asked why not!? I was like.. because hes 13 weeks old.

Reccons i'll 'really turn a corner' with the reflux when I start weaning. I still havent started, not a risk im willing to take at the moment. But thats my choice. At 17 weeks I will start with baby rice and see if the mirical cure for reflux really does exist :rotfl: I doubt that tho!! Providing hes sitting up supported well, holds head up well, and has doubled his birth weight.

When my brother was born (15 years ago) I rmbr we weaned him at 12 weeks, that was the norm, and he was fine. Like someone said, things change every year, when my mum was pregnant with me, there was nothing (really) that you couldnt eat. Now theres a list as long as my arm of things that I couldnt have!!

midna said:
Babies can live on milk alone till they are one

Which is a relief for me as Alex has never been a big eater at all.

My daughter was weaned at 6 months - well I say weaned, she looked distainfully at the food and it went everywhere except down her gullet - I would say she was about 8 months before she started wanting food so for those inbetween months she was given a spoon with a bit of food on to suck at her leisure.

I was really keen to do the same with Green Bean but as of 4 or 5 days ago he has been having baby rice and today had some with some homemade fruit puree in too. He loved it so much and all I do is load up the spoon and hand it to him. Sometimes he gets it in his mouth first go, others it goes in his eye, nose, ear but always ends up in the mouth eventually. The fact that he is doing this tells me he is ready, although I'm not saying he's definitely having a meal a day. In the past 4 days he's had 3 meals, as one day my milk was enough so I left it at that.

I know that if I made him more food he would wolf it down but I want to keep him my baby as long as possible! But I do love seeing the look on his face when I sit next to him with his bowl of food - it's the only thing that he'll take his thumb out of his mouth for - I have to pull it out to breast feed him but it's out in a shot when he sees his spoon and bowl :shakehead: sod!

Anyway, the point to my rambling is that go with what you think, but use common sense as I'm sure you will :hug:

Jen&James said:
I'll probably get berated by the "BF til 6 months and food is evil til this point" mums
I guess this is me. Feel like I’m owning up to something bad?

Jen&James said:
there are SOME mums who do come over all preachy about the weaning debate because they were able to follow the guidelines…What drives me mad about this forum is that some people believe their way is the only way and whether they mean to or not, they make other mums who dont follow their way, feel inferior. Believe you me, its not only me who feels this way. Im just feeling hormonal enough not to care about saying it today where as others dont like to rock to the boat.. :D .
I really hope this isn’t me. I exclusively breastfed and weaned my DD at 6 months and I AM proud of myself as it was a hard slog at times. However, I completely agree with this statement…

Jen&James said:
Mothers intuition is a vastly under rated gift.
..and I completly respect Mums who have made an informed decision.

I guess what I don’t understand is Mums who are so keen to wean (why, its such hard work IMO?!?!) and are desperate to do it by 12 weeks and AREN’T making an informed decision (have done no reading or research into pros and cons).

I apologise if I have ever unintentionally made someone feel bad for their choices for their child.

I am proud of myself and the choices I have made but do really respect that I have been lucky to be able to breastfeed, not have a particularly hungry baby, a good sleeper etc - and therefore we have been able to follow a very 'textbook' approach. I'd like to think that a small part of our parenting decisions to date have been down to OH's or I's stubbornness though!

:hug:

Valentine Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back