has anyone lived on a budget?

Kimbo

Reaction score
justwatching the secret millionaire and she mentioned that people on job seekers allowance live on £8 a day.
I was thinking if they can do it, then i'm going to try!
i get leah's milk free, and i have 2 boxes of nappies so don't need to worry about them for a while.
So think I'm gonna give it a go and try to save up a bit :)
anyone done something similair?
how did you find it?

Hi Kim :wave:

Just wondering how come you get Leah's milk free?

We certainly couldn't live on £8 a day.... last time I lived on a really tight budget was as a student oooohh 16 years ago.. things were differetn then, and I got a grant.. unlike now, my OH has to pay for his fees. We are on a budget as I am main earner, but we do without luxuries etc. but sadly living costs are very high. I'd be interested to see how you get on...if it really is manageable.

Bearing in mind tho that job seekers may also get other benefits such as income support, housing benefit...don't know huge amount about it but I know when my brother was unemployed (with wife and 4 kids) he was better of through claiming benefits than working full time (in certain jobs). Crazy... he works now but it doesn't give some people the incentive to work if you are richer not working.

This is turning into a rant!!! Good luck with it Kim... keep us posted.... xx

GAH! I sat down and worked it out, sad I know, but found out if I go and live on my own in the flat im about to rent I can get £145 CTC & WTC per week PLUS £98 a week of my rent paid. Id only be paying £120 a month rent :shock: Makes you bloody wonder if its worth making a go of life sometimes!!!

How come Leahs milks free~?

when i was single i got milk ( be it cows milk, or formula) for free

Good luck with the living on a budget Kim.
I did this while i was in college and was on my own with Harrison, as long as you stick to what you have set yourself daily and don't ever go over it then it works out fine, but when i used to get my wages every month i used to treat myself and harrison on pay day which used to mess all the budget up and leave me skint towards the end of the month.

because i'm on income support i get healthy start vouchers... something like £24 a month to spend, which buys 3 and a half tins of milk (i pay the remaining £4 to make it 4 tins).
and now that she's on solids, we only use 2 and a half - 3 tins a month x

I could do it food wise as we only have £200 PM so £50 pw food money anyway (saving for wedding and house deposit) but not to pay for TV licence, Sky, net etc as well, but if we went without the esentials and just had freeview so £2.50 pw licence fee, and food and had no mobile, sky, loans, net etc and I was on income support sdo had my housing benefit and council tax paid then I could do it I think

We live on a budget lol! Though its not £8 a day as we couldnt live on that! Or would that be £8 per person a day? :think:
Theres 5 of us here so if £8 each a day then yeh we probably already do that lol! But defintely not between us all! Though it would be great if we could! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back