has anyone ever been in this situation?

Lyn_no3

Reaction score
I'm sorry for such a miserable subject , but my mum is going for tests today to see if she has breast cancer the doctor suspects that she does and she jumped the emergency waitin time at the local hospital because its quite serious... i am petrified... i cant think straight. i'm trying to stay positive obviously but its made me feel so numb, my grandma died from cancer about 5 years ago and i dont think i could bear losing my mum aswell... i just dont know where to turn, i guess we have to just hope for the best and wait and see but my mind is racing with possible outcomes :cry: has anyone else been in this situation and can offer some advice on how they coped with it.

You poor thing!

I haven't been in quite your situation, but when my Dad was diagnosed with kidney cancer last year I found it useful and comforting to get as much information as I could. A good place for you to start would be http://www.breakthrough.org.uk. It might help to calm some of your fears to have a bit more knowledge about what you might be facing.

I hope, for both of you, that it's a false alarm!!

Hiya,

I'm so sorry to hear your bad news. It's always so awful when these things happen.
I kinda know how you feel, my Dad has had loads of things wrong with him over the years, it first started when I was about 7 or 8 so luckily for me didn't really know what was going on then (he had a treble by-pass operation) then when I was in my early 20's he had a double by-pass, his gall bladder and a cancerous kidney removed, then about 4 years ago had half his bowel removed, he's now suffering alot with back problems & sickness, he also has and aneurysm!!! :shock:

Every time he went into hospital it was scary & especially when he had his bowel removed we thought it was game over & started to prepare ourselves for the worst but each time he pulled through. At that time I just kept telling myself that he'll get better & if he doesn't then at least he won't be in pain anymore, I guess I kind of went numb really & just waited for the outcome & then try & deal with it then (if that makes sense)

About 15 years ago my mum also had a breast cancer scare but luckily it turned out to be a cyst. I also found a lump about 2 1/2 years ago & because my Aunty died (about 26 years ago - things have changed alot since then) I was seen quickly & told it was ok at the moment but it was a lump that could turn nasty so to keep a regular check on it.

It's a scary thought because it's the unknown & we all worry about things that are out of our control but as long as you remember that the earlier these types of cancer are caught (IF she has got it - she may not) , then the chances of a full recovery are really good and medical science these days are brilliant.

I agree with Skidoo, that reading up on it & finding out all the facts and figures will help you alot, understanding everything will be less scary, if the worst happens, have a look at this website too www.breastcancer.org
It explains the different stages of breast cancer and treatment.

I know it's extremely hard not to worry (i'm a huge worrier) but try to stay positive & wait for the results.

I find that talking about it with your family & friends helps alot, don't keep things bottled up what ever you do.

My fingers are tightly crossed for your mum ( & you) & I really hope you have some good news to report to us soon.

We are all here if you need us & feel free to Pm me if you want.

Thinking of you.

*Hugs*

Nicki.xx

*hugs* I know you must be so scared but think positive, and even if it is what you think it is, its curable, she can get through it with your help, be strong for her, the last thing she needs is the people who love her to fall apart in front of her eyes.
Its a little bit different but in 1995 my dad had a heart attack and I was terrified but he pulled through, and just one month ago he had another one and had a stent put in. Ive nearly lost him twice, and i was terrified, but thought positive and it worked for me and luckily we still have him :) be brave huni xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HI, I haven't been in this situation, but I wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you and your family.
Sending you a big hug (((((()))))))

Love Sarah xxx

Thanks for your support and reading that lots of ppl have had similar things and far worse things with family members that have come out the other side makes me feel much more level headed, and better equipped for dealing with it.
I can't begin to imagine the worry and heartache you've been thru Nicki so many things would wear me down so fast!!
Thanks for the site link Skidoo it did really help reading about it.
My mum had a mammogram yesterday and there is definately something there, they have taken a sample and are just waiting on the results of that, we're due to find out tomora, they dont like to speculate but have given us a name of a likely cancer it could be, i cant remember what its called now. I am thinking positive i know its the only way to pull thru it and thanks to being able to write about it on here i managed to keep all my fears hidden for the wellbeing of my mum.
So thankyou for your support :)
Fingers crossed for tomora

Hello

I have not been in this situation niether, but i couldnt imagine how horrible it is for you and your family right now, i wish you the best and hopefully everything turns out for the better.
Katrina

They have said that the sample was inconclusive and they need to take some of the lump to test that, so she's booked in for this next week. i'm hoping that the inconclusiveness means that its not so serious because otherwise it would come straight up on all the tests, i know i might be settin myself up for a fall but i'd rather think of it like that.
Thanks again for all your support... fingers crossed still this end :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back