Had our 2nd NCT class last night

jomc

Reaction score
and again it was quite good fun!
It was 2 hours long. Spent about half an hour talking about c-sections and looking at some photos.
She also had photos of the diff hospitals and birth centres in our area which was nice as we havent had a chance yet to do the tour of our hospital.
Then, we did 24 hours in the life of a newborn baby. That was an eye opener!
The leader had a doll that weighs about 4.5 pounds and is in proportion.. like a proper baby. We had to pass it around each other without letting the head flop etc. Was surprisingly heavy for 4.5 pounds (its apparently the weight of the average baby at 36 weeks in pregnancy). So need to add another 3 pounds to it for the average UK birth weight.
We had to pull photos of babies out of a bag (pics of them sleeping, crying, happy, looking bored etc) and decide depending on the time of day/night what you would do with the baby.
For the last ten mins of the class, we had to get into our favourite massage positions from the last class. She turned out all the lights and had colour changing globes dotted around the floor.
So I sat on a chair, facing the back and OH sat on a chair behind me massaging my lower back. We all sat and watched the colour changing globes while the leader talked us through positive images of being at home in the comfort of our our surroundings coping with contractions.
It was so lovely!. Could have fallen asleep lol
We have our ladies only session tomorrow morning which discusses recovering from a birth.

That class sounds great. Ive just had my NHS antenatal classes and i really enjoyed them. I dont think there a patch on the NCT classes by the sounds of it. But ive benefitted from going to them.

Although thinking about it they never discussed breathing techniques... is that something you did learn in the NCT class?

x

Sounds good hun :good: I start mine on Monday - looks like I'm going to be late though as I have a consultants appointment first :roll: good starte eh

that sounds lovely x ive not been offered any yet x x think its a bit late lol

Sounds good hun :good: I start mine on Monday - looks like I'm going to be late though as I have a consultants appointment first :roll: good starte eh

dont worry hun.... we had a couple there last night who missed the whole first session on Saturday which was 4 hours long

Although thinking about it they never discussed breathing techniques... is that something you did learn in the NCT class?

x

its not so much breathing techniques they do... all they say is start on an outbreath and the inbreath will follow as most people when they feel pain suck in a deep breath and hold it. for contractions/pain the idea is blow out a long breath and take in a small inbreath so your exhaling should be longer than your inhaling. She got us to practice using kids bubbles. You take a small breath in but blow out for as long as you can, seeing how many bubbles you can blow out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back