Had Henry weighed today :(

x_larlybelle_x

Reaction score
He has only put on 2oz in 4 weeks & dropped from 75th to 9th percentile :(

They have said I need to feed him every 1 1/2 - 2 hours (he naturally goes 2 1/2 - 3) & wake him for a feed at night (he usually sleeps straight through).

The only things I'm happy about is that they didn't tell me to start topping him up with formula and they could see how happy and alert and chatty he was.

Tryin to not worry myself & tell myself he is just gonna be tall and skinny like his dad. Don't wanna worry incase it affects my milk :(

if hes happy and eating as much as he wants to then id be happy hun, they worry way too much about weight, my oh eats tonnes and loves his chocolate but at 5ft 10/11 hes only 9 and a half stone and cant put on weight ever. whereas i look at food and get fatter. if henry takes after his daddy then he will be slim. just try and make sure he feeds as much as he wants to and if he will take extras then maybe do that. never worry unless you think there is a reason to. they havent worried about alyssa putting on loads and id imagine that would be just as bad if they wanna start on babies weight lol

it is a big drop but he is coming up towards the 4 month growth spurt now and maybe he will put on then and its been so hot recently i bet lots of babies havent put on a lot cos of the heatwave

Last edited:
:hugs: hopefully feeding him more often will do the trick, as long as henry is happy try not to worry, I know easier said than done.

My first daughter did something similar when she was a baby of about that age, dropped from the 50th to the 9th centile all of a sudden, but then followed that one for the rest of her babyhood, which was fine. As long as your LO is alert and well in himself I wouldn't worry too much (although still follow the advice you were given, of course).

Yeah I'm gonna increase his day feeds & see how he goes. Not so keen on waking him for a feed of a night so I'll do more day feeds & see how he gets on. Gonna weigh him on our scales at home tomorrow then again in a week and start night feeds then if I have to.

A woman I was talking to the other day was told to wake her LO for feeds at night and had terrible trouble getting them to sleep through once weaned. I think it's a good idea to try increasing through the day and leave him at night if you can. Albert's long and skinny, he puts on a lot each week at the moment I know but his genes are not conducive to him being chunky

You are doing a great job with him hunny :hug: xxxxxxxx

I think the important thing is that he is happy and alert. That, I think, is the best indication of a healthy baby. I would, though, increase daytime feeding if I were you - but would be reluctant to wake at night if he sleeps well - I wouldn't want to disrupt that! Hopefully more daytime feeds will help. Xx

Well I think he heard the hv cos since we've got home he has slept and eaten & that's about it! Cheeky monkey!

Harrison dropped from the 50th to juat above the 2nd and he got admitted to hospital just for them to say that some babies are born too big and they adjust themselves naturally and once they have hit their ideal weight they start putting on weight again!! Dont let it stress you out as that is when I had to stop bf as my milk dried up!! I wud however wake him personally so you can get more food down him, try it for a week or two to see if he gains if he doesnt then dont bother any more!!
xxx

As you say don't worry yourself if he is alert and his usualy happy self. Hopefully a couple of extra feeds in the day will help boost him. I really need to take chloe to get weighed. How often are you meant to do it? x

I wouldn't worry yet. Babies weights change. Just keep an eye I think

I think it's recommended to weigh once a month at this age. X

My LO (also bf) dropped from between 25th-50th centiles to the 9th and though I was worried at the time, my HV is an old school bf, skin to skin, wear your baby type and she never once suggested formula top ups or anything and just said in her experience babies do fluctuate on the weight and centiles scale and as long as the baby is happy, healthy and not losing weight to not worry. She was righty too, last time I had my LO weighed she was up nearly at the 50th again.

So my ramble is just to say don't panic or worry if it's just the centile weight thing that's worrying you! x

I wouldn't worry too much about the centile drop. Jack has only gained 9oz in weight since January and he has 2 bottles, 3 meals and lots of snacks everyday! He's just a skinny mini!! If Henry looks slim then thats probably how he'll stay, especially if he's happy, healthy and reaching the milestones he should be. I was really worried that he was only gaining 2-3oz per month from 3 months but now we've come to except he's just a petite little lad :) If the extrafeeds does help then Yay but if they don't I wouldn't worry, he may gain more when weaning starts or like be like my Jack and have hollow legs :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back