Gynaecologist and fertility clinic appointments.

eldraW

Reaction score
Hello all.

Hope everyones well.

some of you may think i sound really thick when i ask this but i just want to reassure myself before i go to my first appointment. I am just a bit confused....

I have recently just been referred to a Gynaecologist and i am just wondering what the difference is between a Gynaecologist and a Fertility clinic appointment? Is a Gyn just to do with ladies vaginas etc or do they take into consideration ttc and give help with ttc and what not?

My GP referred me when i was having a few problems but he also knows we have been ttc for nearly 15 month now and he said he thinks its about time i was looked at.

I hope i am making sense in what i am trying to say lol. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Amy xx

Last edited:
Don't want to read and run. I've not had any experience but GL for your appointment. Let us know how it goes. I'm sure some of the other ladies will be along soon with some advice.

I think (and I'm not sure so don't quote me) that at a fertility clinic they look at things like egg quality, sperm counts, cervical mucus, fallopian tube blockages and implantation problems.

A Gynaecologist will not look at sperm production and will probably check things like STI's, pelvic infections, scaring, ovarian cysts, endometriosis etc.

A Gynaecologist will help you with TTC in that they will be able to rule out some of the big reasons why YOU (not taking your partner into account) may not be able to conceive easily. And they can treat things like pelvic infections and endometriosis. If they can't find anything a miss then fertility clinic is the next step.

Fertility treatment is VERY expensive (and depending where you live you may have to contribute at some stage depending on the test results), so ruling out all the stuff that is most likely on the list of suspects free on the NHS is worth it I think.

Especially if you've never had a pelvic scan or been checked out.

Thanks very much for the replies....

I have never had any kind of tests so all this is new to me so i am obviously a bit nervous/worried. Lets just hope they can help us :) xx

Thanks very much maybe baby,

I am just getting myself all confused with the difference in Gynaecologist and a fertility clinic appointment :(. i am sure i will stop flapping soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back