GTT

Julie84

Reaction score
At my routine midwife appointment today she booked me in for a GTT at the hospital next Wednesday. :(

I'm petrified of needles and it has been a fairly horrific experience the last two times that the midwife has taken blood so I'm not looking forward to it. :shakehead:

I'm upset because I think the only reason she is sending me off for this is because she managed to work out my BMI wrong. :doh:

I was in such a tizz because she decided this at the beginning of my appointment I forget to ask any of the questions I wanted to ask and I also wanted to moan that things keep getting written in my notes that are wrong and/or I haven't agreed to.

I really like my midwife (although the first and last time I actually saw her was at 10 weeks - I've seen GP or the standing-in midwife the other two appointments I have had!) but I do feel a bit like I'm on a conveyor belt with my antenatal care - each stage I get the necessities and then shoved along to the next person on the assembly line with as little inoput from me as possible. :roll:

I've obviously got my moaning head on tonight... :oops:

i chose not to have the GTT test. my midwife always checks my urine, and diabetes would be detected in that. also, i feel that if i was to have gestational diabetes, i would be pushed and shoved into having a c-section i wasn't happy with at the risk of a potentially bigger baby.

I say give her a ring its usually much easier to get your point across and stand up for yourself on the phone ! Plus you can always jot down what you want to say to make sure your not sidetracked :hug: :hug:

I've had the GTT last friday, as there's a history of diabetes in my family, thankfully it turned out that I don't have it.

My sister in law was diagnosed late with gestational diabetes and had all sorts of complications through it, as it took a while to get it under control. In the end she was induced at 37+something weeks, amongst other things (pre-eclampsia) also because the baby was so big. Just from her experience of being detected late, I'm glad I was offered the test, so that I could put my mind at rest.

They've also taken the blood samples they'd usually take at 28 weeks there and then, so it only added one additional needle (plus a fingerprick) to what I would have got without the GTT which I think was bearable.

As MagicMarkers said, write everything down that you need to discuss and then you won't forget anything important.
I'm sure you'll be fine when you have your test, just try and relax and stay calm, it will be over before you know it. Have you got someone who could go with you if your really that worried? At least then you will have someone to talk to whilst they are doing it and it will take your mind off it. Good luck :hug:

I have had the GTT test today at the hospital.

I was admitted on Friday due to having high BP and trace of protein so I have been monitored for pre eclampsia. I got glucose in my urine yesterday when they tested me in hosptial and as it was the 4th time in this pregnancy they sent me for the test.

It wasnt so bad, the worst part was the disgusting sweet drink they make you have, I am waiting now to hear the results but they said that if I dont hear by tomorrow lunch everything is ok.

I am having to go to the day unit every other day now to be monitored and have to see the consultant on Friday as we think my C section is going to be brought forward - possibly to the end of next week :shock:

Tracey xx

Aww Tracey, I'm sorry you're having a rough time. :hug:

My mum said she will come and join me as soon as she has finished the school run but Jack is only 6 months so I don't really want to have him stuck with us in hospital for several hours.

I have half a mind to phone my midwife and say I don't want it; I don't see any need really. My wee has been checked every visit and never a hint of anything and despite being initially very low, my blood pressure has been very constant at 115/75 for the last 12 weeks.

I just have such an irrational fear of blood tests that just thinking about Wednesday brings me out in cold sweats and feeling very light headed. I'm just not sure I could forgive myself if I didn't have it and something went wrong... :?

I just remembered I forgot to ask for my MATB1 as well - damn this baby brain!!

Thanks for all your posts. :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back