Green Bean is here :-) 26/03/2008 18:47

monster_munch

Reaction score
Ahem - quiet please for the long awaited story of Green Bean's arrival ;)

Had a hospital appointment Wednesday morning for a CTG and scan because G.B. was 14 days late and they wanted to check all was well. Hadn't finished re-packing my bag for a hospital stay (I was actually prepared to argue my home birth back on :lol:) so left it at home. All started well - hospital is 45 mins from home - got there and realised i'd left my maternity notes at home :doh: had to drive back and get them which made me popular.
Eventually got there and they put me (well GB) on the trace and there we sat (had DD with us as well) for half an hour.
M/W came back, bringing a doctor with her, which set alarm bells ringing. They explained that they weren't happy with his heart trace as it was staying very level instead of having little accelerations. As he was so late they were very worried about this and they said they were going to move me straight to the labour ward where they were going to break my waters and put me on a syntocin drip.
I explained that I had nothing with me, plus DH would have to take DD home - find a babysitter for her - and get my stuff so could they wait for him. They said no - so he rushed off. While they were getting things ready for me they continued with the trace which apparently improved dramatically. Because of this (and much begging on my part) they agreed not only to wait for DH to get back but also that they would break my waters and then wait and see if I needed the drip.

DH eventually got back and they broke my waters . It took them ages as my cervix was still really posterior and completely jammed behind GB's head - which rather unhelpfully had decided to dis-engage :roll: So i had 2 people pushing BG down and one pushing up. Oh fun!
Waters eventualy went and the contractions picked up straight away. Had to be on the monitorconstantly which was a total pain as I couldn't use the pool or even leave the room to go for a walk :( Going for a wee was annoying too as I had to unplug the wires - and take them with me. Not easy to wee when having contractions and trying to hold on to 10 billion feet of cables :lol:
Anyhoo, 2 hours later my midwives (had a student one too) checked me again- cervix was still jammed behind GB's head and was still 2cm's long. It was 2cm dilated when they broke my water and could now be stretched to 4 - the only improvement since my first sweep on my due date :talkhand: :lol:
The MW said that she had really pulled it forward and hopefully that would help - but she would have to tell the doctors that there had been little change and they would probably suggest the drip. Before she did that though, she asked if I would be happy to let the student MW do an internal, which I had no problem with. Had a student with DD and let her have a go, so thought it cruel to not let this lass :)
Anyway - she was in a completely different place to the first MW and so it appeared my cervix had stayed forward :cheer: The MW said that she would let the doctors know and hopefully they could put off the drip for a little while longer.
After these rather rough internals (good job I'm hard as nails :rotfl: ) the contractions picked up big style. Even with the birthing ball, which was my saviour with DD, I was struggling. The problem was that I wasn't getting any realy build up. I could feel a slight tightening and then what felt like an explosion of pain just above my pubic bone. No matter how much I prepared myself and concentrated on my breathing I was screaming in pain each time and DH was cacking himself bless him. Thankfully I managed to keep the screams deep rather than high pitched panicky ones but still I felt like I was really drowning in the pain :(
The contractions were coming in waves of 2 - straight after the other and then a 4 minute break. The midwives said I needed to get rid of the 'break' or the doctors might suggest the drip. So I got off the ball and walked about. I got to the other side of the bed and had to lean over it with a contraction.
After 2 good contractions I started to feel pressure. Explained to the midwives not to get too excited as I was on iron tablets and hadn't been able to 'go' since the previous morning so that's all it would be.
(This is where all dignity is lost) They asked me to remove my knickers so they could watch my bum hole during a contraction as it would open up if baby was imminent :oops: :rotfl:
All I can remember is apologising profusely to DH as DD's birth was much more civilised with no bum-hols watching!
Apparently they though GB was imminent and asked me to get on the bed. The pressure was building and I was pushing towards the end of the contraction. They called the 2nd midwife (who turned out to be a male Dr and the Dr who admitted me had apparently said she wanted to be there as she though GB was going to be big - I didn't know this! - and she had gone home so another Dr decided to take her place - thankfully he was a nice bloke, although I can't say I really remember him being there!)
ANyway - they asked me to push and I really couldn't - it hurt like hell and leaning over the bed I was really struggling to cope. Was sick so much that I was bringing up green bile :puke: << like this :lol: ) and it tasted foul. I asked to change positions but pushing still really hurt. MW1 suggested she just have a check to make sure I really was fully dilated and I said to her that I wasn't - I just knew I wasn't ready. Sure enough I was only 7cms.
She said to get off the bed and try and breathe through. She sent the Dr away and was trying to comfort me as I was pushing involuntarily at the end of the contractions and was scared I would make my cervix swell and make things worse. She explained that she'd rather I didn't push but not to worry too much as with 2nd babies, you can sometimes push the cervix away. I was leaning over the bed and with the next contraction pretty much pushed all the way through it. Told MW2 (student MW) and she had a look and MW1 and her manhandled me back onto leaning over the bed.
They then explained that there was some poo there (oh joy! :rotfl: ) and that I would need to push that out before I could get GB out. I was really struggling to stay upright so was pretty much kneeling / squatting whilst trying to keep my weight off my bum. As I was pooing :lol: I could feel GB's head and was shouting to everyone "the head is really hurting me" over and over like a big baby. At some point I did my poo and then I could really feel GB's head and started shouting "Head, Head" like a deranged woman. The student MW went out to get the Dr but MW1 shouted at her to stay so DH had to press the buzzer. I could really feel GB's head coming down and it was agony - it hadn't even crowned yet so I started freaking out saying I couldn't do it - and that I really didn't want to do the next bit and that I couldn't do it. Poor DH was doing his best to comfort me and very very nearly got his hand bitten but he managed to move it just in time!
GB's head started to crown and thank god - it actually didn't hurt at all. The worst bit was actually the head coming down into my vagina (isn't birth fun!) as it came so fast. DH actually watched as I pushed GB's head out - something he said he wouldn't do as he didn't watch DD being born. At the next contraction I started pushing again but the shoulders really effing hurt - thankfully they pretty much pulled GB out and the next thing I knew there GB was between my legs - and all I could think was that GB looked nothing like DD did when she was born. I'm very odd!
Eventually remember to ask DH was GB and after looking for about 5 mins he said "I think it's a boy" and the MW's confirmed.

As I was having a physiological 3rd stage (no injection) someone (hopefully not the male Dr!! :rotfl: ) stripped my top and bra off and I truned around and had skin to skin. Withing 1 minute I had another contraction and 2 pushes later the placenta was delivered. Apparently the fastest physiological 3rd stage my MW had experienced :)
DH cut the chord and we set about thinking of a name. DH's great-Grandad was George and DD is obsessed with Peppa Pig so George it was.
They checked me over and said that apart from a very minor graze at the top of my vagina I had pretty much gotten away with it :lol:

He took to breastfeeding straight away - all by himself - I just looked down and he had latched on. After a quick feed he was weighed but the scales wuoldn't convert to pounds so I got the conversion guide out of my filofax and set about trying to work it out. I got 10lb 8 which i thought was wrong as he didn't look more than 9 1/2!
MW1 went to put his details into the computer (which converts it properly) and came back to tell me he was actually 10lb 12oz!!

DH went home at this point to collect DD and as I had requested a 6 hour discharge came back to get us at 2am.

Whilst he was away I noticed George was biting me alot and it really bloody hurt. Checked his mouth and his 2 bottom teeth are just about to break through :shock: :shock: breastfeeding is going to be fun :?

Got home at 3am and since then he has been so good. DD is amazing with him and everything is pretty darn perfect :D

It doesn't sting when i wee (thank god) and I went for my first poo yesterday and that didn't hurt one bit (minor bloody miracle - was so pleased I text libs to tell her :rotfl: )
Blood loss is minimal - like a light period, so I cannot believe how lucky I am.
Considering I didn't get my homebirth and everything looked like it was going tits up, it has all turned out perfectly. I couldn't be happier!

Sorry it's so long - i've missed loads out too. Will add some pics later - i am feeding him atm and my arm is about to drop off, greedy beggar!Please excuse spelling mistakes etc - typing with one hand is hard!

Pics can be found here

Wow what an amazing birth story.
I still cant believe the weight of him, and you only got a graze :)
Congratulations again MM :cheer:
Love the name George by the way. I wanted that for mine if it was a boy.

Wow, congratulations. I love the way you have described your birth story especially about having a poo!!!! :rotfl: Did you know he was going to be a big baby?

Aww wow what a great birth story - congratulations :cheer: I can't believe he's almost got 2 teeth! And the weight is brilliant, are you sure he was only 2 weeks late :think: :lol: :hug: :hug:

oh no , the bum hole watching sounds so embarrassing, but i guess at that point you dont care!!!!

thanks for telling us warts n all :lol: and glad you were happy at the end of it with no damage done! :cheer:

Fabulous birth story, well done :hug:

Big welcome to baby George :cheer:

i really enjoyed reading that well done, and congratulations

excellent birth story
really well written.. well done and congrats!!
sorry but couldnt help laughing at they wanted to look at your bum hole u poor thing :rotfl: :rotfl: :hug:

monster_munch said:
They asked me to remove my knickers so they could watch my bum hole during a contraction as it would open up if baby was imminent

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I wish I hadn't read that with my own labour iminent!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

It sounds like you did really really well to get through the pain as well as you did, I can't believe how intact you are after giving birth to such a big baby! You certainly are a natural!!! Congratulations on the arrival of George, I hope you are enjoying every single minute of him, I bet he's fab!! :hug:

Fab story, well done!! didn't know babies could be born with teeth! :shock: xx

Congratulations on such a big weight an little damage - apart from your dignity - lets hope you dnt see this doc whilst doing your weekly shop :rotfl: :shock: bum watching :shock: an who said midwives had a good job :rotfl:

Monsrer munch your birth story was a crackin read! Few of the quotes cracked me up!

But in all seriousness congratulations on the birth of george who sounds like a very special little boy and is going to give you alot of joy.

Two teeth though?? omg i have heard of it but not from someone i know though, were your mws surprised at all?

Hurry up with those pictures though woman :hug:

what a great story MM :cheer:

well done on pushing out such a big boy as well, with no tears :shock:

the reverse psychology must have worked on him btw :rotfl:

xxx

WOW :shock:

lol

congratulations MM and welcome to the world baby George!!!

thats one hell of a birth story hunny lol xxxx

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed reading that even if in a few places I was :shock: :shock: :shock: then :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

10lb 12 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back