Gradual retreat method

Karenb

Reaction score
Any success stories using this method?? Yep still me trying to get my daughter to sleep at night without the boob!! Nightmare!!

(Happy Mother's Day mamas!)

Yes!! We did it, took 3 nights and we were done xx

How bad were things before?? How long did your lo cry for?

After a year of having to lie in our bed with her for up to 3 hours a night sometimes longer I'd had enough. She self settled Great up until she was 9 months old. Then she just screamed and screamed so the only way I could get her to sleep was to lie with her. Then transfer her once she was in a deep sleep. Some nights I even had to take her out in the car for an hour and then hope to god she didn't wake as I Carried her back in!

We did it do we did her bath and then took her straight to her room with her lights on low and got her warm in her pjs. Then we sat and read two stories and then laid her in her bed with a bottle of milk. First night I sat next to her cot and she whinged a bit. I sat there until she was fast asleep. Second night I sat next to her drawers and waited until she was a sleep again. Then the next night she started sitting up and being cheeky grinning at me so I tried leaving the room. Went back two minutes later and she was fast asleep. She didn't really cry at all those 3 nights just a but whingy the first night. We've never looked back and I will use the same method with our new little girl if we ever need too xx

Hi Karen, I have wondered how you've got on, you're not alone we are still having a terrible time. My Lo sleep from 730-1030 in her cot no bother but then after that she will wake constantly and if try and leave the room it just sets her off. I thought about this method last night so i need to read up on it. Have you been trying it already?

I think since getting to 9 months my body has hit a wall. I had felt used to the lack of sleep but now I'm shattered and into my third cold this year- I never get poorly but I know I'm run down. How are YOu feeling?

Hi, we've done it for three nights now. The first she cried for 50 mins, then 35, then 10! She woke for two feeds but stayed in cot all night. For us, this is amazing!! I have slept on a mattress next to her cot, and will slowly move away. I'm hoping this is the start of better sleep as I also hit a wall after 9 months of uncomfortable sleep and feeling like a zombie!!

So glad your finally getting some sleep karen. I hope it continues to be successful for you hun xxx

Thank you... Unfortunately last night was horrendous but it was completely down to teething! I hate teething!!!

Oh no. You are doing so so well. To this day night times bring me major anxiety. My son was absolute poop at it but thankfully now both DS and DD are brill - but I still feel really anxious over it! So, I do really feel for you and others who have babies who fight sleep. I hope after the teething that the gradual retreat continues to work well.

Thanks :) the last two nights she's been asleep in less than 3 minutes! But then just woke loads as struggling with teeth so hope it will work well when she's over the worst of itx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back