GP Appt tomorrow - sick note?

mdsremos

Reaction score
I am on holiday this week as its half term and due to return to work on Tuesday 2nd November. However, I have a GP appointment tomorrow afternoon which I am dreading as I need to see whether the Dr will issue me with a two week sick note as I am struggling so much with SPD that I am on crutches and trying not to take many of the codrydramol painkillers.
I just dont want to walk, or should I say shuffle painfully, into the Dr's office and ask for a sick note although I only need two weeks cos that would take me to just before my 36th week which is already booked as a weeks holiday and my maternity leave commences 21st November.
I am worried the Dr will just turn round and say start maternity leave early which I dont want to do as I cant afford to take an extra couple of weeks at the end at reduced rate. Even if I self certified myself, it would still leave me with 4 shifts left which I know I will not cope with, I actually had some of my shifts reduced before my leave this week as I was struggling and was told by the Matron on the unit to make an appointment with my GP.
Does it seem wrong to ask for a two week sick note? I feel so cheeky and have never had to use a sick note other than for a previous operation.

No if you need time just take it - also just check that your company doesnt start maternity leave I now that if I had one day off sick or sick leave within the 4 week period before my Maternity Start Date they automatically would start Maternity leave. But dont be worrying about work just think of yourself and the baby thats all that matters xx

I work for the NHS and checked the maternity manual which states that any pregnancy related illness 4 weeks for my EDD of 14th December will automatically start my maternity leave.
This being the case, if the GP signed me off from Friday this week for 2 weeks that would take me to Friday 12th November, I would get back the leave I booked for next monday as it would be taken over by sick leave therefore I could use that holiday for my shift on Saturday 13th November and my annual leave already booked for 15-20th November with maternity starting on 21st November.
Hope my dates work out right so I wont lose out

After a week of distrubed sleep worrying about having to try and ask for a sick note, the surgery rang this morning to say the GP is off sick!! She asked whether I actually needed to see a GP today or could it wait and when I explained that all I needed was a two week note, the receptionist said no problem tell me the problem (she found on the system that I was already diagnosed with SPD at 18 weeks) and told me to collect a sick note on Monday afternoon and would be no problem!!!
Lets just hope its ready on Monday..

oh thats good then hun, i think the nhs policy is much better than the LA that i work for... mine is 4 weeks before my maternity leave is due to start not my edd, cos i booked 2 weeks leave from monday 1-14th nov n then my maternity to start from the 15th nov, 1 week b4 my due date,

this meant that if i had any pregnancy related problems AT ALL in october i would automatically trip onto maternity leave.... and allthough i phoned them to ask & my manager asked about me bein off with bhronchitis (yep the bad chest nothing to do with baby...) they said it states pregnancy related but they can automatically issue maternity regardless of circumstances, which like u, effected my time off n pay at the end... so i have battled on, made it to my last day today, and im chuffin nakkard, still ill, but i made it, :wall2:

its a shame that all employers cant word theres the same... nxt time im ttc, im working for the nhs!! lol

good luck with the spd n take it steady hun

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back