GP advice and support?

keany

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Hello! :wave:This is the first forum i have ever joined so i apologise in advance if i have posted in the wrong place.

After many, many years TTC, a diagnosis of PCOS and 2 MC (first in 2009) i've decided the time is right to face the problems head on. I have never gone to my GP in relation to our problems conceiving and i was just wondering what other's experiences have been when talking to their GP?

I've avoided going to GP as i didn't want to face the shame of being send away and told to lose weight - i obviously know that this will assist in the baby making arena and as such have been losing weight at a club and engaging in regular exercise.

I am beginning to hear that ticking...

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your experiences so far. You are right to approach your GP with your concerns. Well done for already motivating yourself to lose weight, make sure you point this out to your GP.
Your GP does have a responsibility to you to investigate further and help relieve your concerns. If you have been trying since 2009, already have diagnosed PCOS and unfortunately have had 2 mCs then it's all information they can use to narrow down potential problems.
Despite the weight issue they may mention, they can also do basic blood tests for hormone levels ( don't know how helpful that will be with PCOS?? Sorry I don't know much about PCOS and if it affects hormone levels? ) on both you and your other half, sperm analysis which can give them the right information to make a referral if its required.
Technically you have to have been trying to conceive for 12 months with no success to warrant further investigation on NhS and I've heard so many different lengths of time on here and other forums that it makes me angry that GPs sometimes fob off patients with excuses. The bottom line is, yes you are working on your weight issues, but surely in the mean time, they can investigate any underlying issues and alleviate your concerns??
I hope you get a positive reaction from your GP.
Xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi, welcome to the forum! I think you are doing the right thing going to your GO. I agree with above- make sure you say you are already losing weight. I saw a female GP- not sure if that made a difference referral wise but she was lovely and said she was surprised I had waited a year! Didn't expect that as I'm only mid twenties.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. Hope we can help! Ask the receptionist to give you an appointment with an empathetic gp, as you are about to talk about a sensitive issue. Doctors often don't understand how much ttc rules our lives, so tell him/her. Despite any weight issues, you are definitely entitled to a 21 day progesterone test and a sperm analysis for your partner. Don't leave until they organise these for you, and don't let them make you feel silly after the appointment. This is a huge deal for u, understandably and you've made a big decision to get some investigations.

I really hope you find a good doctor. If you do, make all your appts with them and build up a relationship x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back