Got half my 21 blood test results back.. Hmmm

LoopyLouize

Reaction score
Heya girlies!
I have a question now as I'm crap with vitamins and stuff .. I rang my Docs just now and she told me that the majority have come back ok. They said I need to go down and get a prescription as I have an iron deficiency and need some tablets... And she told me to ring back tomorrow as the doctor is still looking at my hormones and oestrogen... I've waited 4 bloody days for these ones alone!! I hate waiting dammit!! I'm so impatient!!!
Does anybody know what low iron means and how it affects TTC? Im 7-8 DPO now so does this low iron already count me out this month??

X

i think that there is a link between iron and egg production hun. Well hopefully because they've taken so long they'll come up with some answers for you! xx

Hey hun, not really heard about iron and TTC, but did a quick search and founfd this:

The Link Between Female Infertility and Low Iron Intake

In a recent study, a low iron intake in women was found to lead to an increased risk of ovulatory infertility; meaning that a woman’s body is unable to produce healthy eggs.
The women who participated in the study had no history of infertility. They were prescribed different dosages of iron and iron supplements in order to test the effects on their fertility. The women’s prescribed iron intake was dependent on their age, weight and lifestyle, among other factors.
The study found that by increasing their intake of iron, the women had a 40 to 60% lowered risk of ovulatory infertility. The study found that the higher the iron intake, the lower the women’s risk of developing ovulatory fertility problems. For example, women who consumed 41 miligrams or more of iron daily had a decreased risk of 62% of infertility problems. In addition, those women who were prescribed heme iron (iron that comes from animal sources, such as eggs) were also at higher risk for developing ovulatory fertility than those whose iron intake came from mostly non-heme iron (non-animal sources of iron, such as beans).

At least now they know you have low iron it can be easily fixed :) :)

I also have an iron deficiency, the best thing to do (as well as the supplements) is to eat plenty of food which is rich in iron. Make it a part of your daily intake... xx

I don't know hun, just didn't want to read and run!

Hope you got your answer!

i dont knwo anythign about that hun! i didn't know you were going for bloods too! i hope the rest of it comes back with good news :)

xx

Iron is very important for general health.

It is directly related to your blood, so if you consider how important blood is for the body in transporting nutrients and oxygen around then you can see that it can impact all of your bodily functions - including fertility.

It is especially important to women because we lose blood every month with our cycle and the iron needs replacing.

It's an easy thing to fix though if it is diet related so no worries :)

Chicken liver has a HUGE amount of iron in it and i tend to have chicken livers on toast after i have any blood tests done, but it is generally found in any dark coloured meats.

I think it is also in dark green vegetables but don't quote me on that one :)

Steam some curly kale, have it with your Sunday lunch! Xxx

Thanks alot girls your info has really helped!
I'm going back tomorrow so I will find out more then and obviously the hormone and oestrogen results.
I have just stuffed my face with lamb chops, peas, broccoli and mint gravy so I think I got plenty of iron tonight hehe!
LouiseB - Am I reading that right... You have liver on toast????!
Cosmicgirl - I dont even know what kale is lol... I'm Gunna go ask Jeeves now

spinach is high in iron!! so lots of steamed spinach would be awesome and also if you like indian have a sag curry too!!

Hey girls - the rest of my results have come back ok ... Just my iron is low.. By that I'm assuming that I still ovulating?? I'm so confused!!! I couldn't ask the doctors on the phone because I rang from work and didn't want any busy bodies ear wigging! I just dont know whether to count myself out or not!

If the rest of tests came back fine then i would say you are ovulating:dance:

Thats great news hun!

Hey loopy :wave:

Glad it's just the iron levels but not quite sure if means your out or not though hun, sorry my post not particularly helpful

xxx

Hey Hun,

Just having a catch up...

Did you have your bloods taken on different days?

I think you have the full blood count, that checks, FSH, LH, Thyroid function, Iron, your kidneys etc at the beginning of your cycle CD 1-5 and then you just have your Progesterone taken on CD 21.

Nothing suggests you are out Hun as yet, if your Progesterone is low then you may not have OV'd so then that would mean you're out but on the other hand your Progesterone could be high and that could indicate pregnancy.

xx

Hiya maybe - no the doc gave me a referral letter that had a list of all what they are checking for and told me to go on CD 21 ... the list had the LH, FSH, Kidneys, Bone something, Liver function profile etc ... I wrote on a previous thread all what it said but I can't remember of the top of my head now. Doctor never mentioned about going on different days :-S
Im now even more confused!!
Xx

Hey Hun,

I thought the other bloods had to be taken at the beginning of the cycle but don't quote me on that.

At least if you went on CD21 that must mean your Progesterone's ok so that's good as you are OVing so the low Iron shouldn't have affected you I don't think.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miamie50
Back