Got 1st injection and quite scared!

scaredbuthappy

Reaction score
I have rhesus negative blood group and i have my first anti-d injection on thursday. Im not sure what to expect, my midwife said it was quite a big injection, what does she mean by that??
Also she said at the same time i will have a routine check up so can i get an MATB1 from the hospital?? My midwife gave me one back in january and i sent it off a couple of weeks ago to claim maternity allowance but they sent it back saying my midwife issued it too early so it was invalid! (silly midwife) I dont have another appointment with the midwife until 17th april (and cant get an earlier one or contact her, also i have tried the doctors) and am a bit worried that will be too late to get another one and send off.
So can the hospital issue one for me on thursday after i have my injection seeing as i will be visiting the antenatal department i would of thought they will be able to?
Has anyone else had these injections and do they hurt also do you have it in your arm or elsewhere? :shock:
Thankyou for anyones help xxxxxxxxxx

Hun i'm O- and have had 3 injections throughout this preg and another when i give birth...you have 2 routinely - 1 at 28 weeks, 1 at 34 weeks, i had another at 20 weeks as i had a small bleed. (if u do have a bleed, however small, you will need an injection) and they are fine!
I totally wound myself up, they sting for about 20 seconds and its over...not a bruise. ASk for it in your bum....much less painful!!! :hug:

I have to have the the anti d injections too im sure it wont be too bad will be over nice and quick at least! :hug:

Yeah, don't worry about it at all. I was asked if I wanted arm or bum and opted for whatever was easiest (bum!) and it wasn't painful at all. It's not so much in your bum as level with your hip bone. Don't think it was any more of a "big injection" than anything else I've had. I thought it stung less than a blood test but then maybe that says a lot abot my bum, lol.

Thankyou. I may ask for it in my bum then. I am just worried about feeling ill after or any side effects, not sure why my midwife said it was a big injection, maybe she was trying to scare me :shock:

Does anyone know about the MATB1 thing? and if i can get it from the hospital?

Thanks. :hug:

I'm not going to be much help on the MATB1 front... I was bounced all over the place because at one point I was having routine appointments at the hospital rather than just at my local surgery. The consultant obstetrician and hospital midwife directed me to my GP for it.

I wouldn't be worried about side effects - they make you sit around for a while after the injection because (very rarely) you can get a reaction at the site. I think a lot of health professionals (not just midwives) assume that everyone is freaked out by injections and tries to forewarn them and instead just panics everyone!

I went into my doctors and explained to the receptionist that i needed a new MATB1 and that i wasnt able to see my midwife until my next appointment, but she said they didnt have them at the surgery and i asked to make an appointment with the doctor but she said the doctor wouldnt be able to issue one anyway :wall:

I dont know why everything is always so complicated i only want a new certificate. Would he not be able to issue one because my midwife at my local clinic has been dealing with my pregnancy and not the doctor? (i havent seen my doctor at all, not even at the beginning, i was sent straight to the midwife). Is that normal? :think:

My MATB1 was a pain in the arse because my due date had been altered by so much at my dating scan. Basically I was told I could just phone up for it. When it didn't appear I got a call to say their records showed I was only 18 weeks and couldn't get it when in fact my maternity records showed that I was actually 28 weeks. Because they couldn't access my maternity records I had to make a random appointment with a random GP who literally just looked at my due date on my written records and filled it out.

That GP had a big wad of blank forms so I can't really believe that they would have none in the entire surgery... think the receptionist might be talking nonsense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back