3 hour hospital appointment

pilkers

Reaction score
well been back to the consultant this morning and I've finally had some sort of diagnosis on my blood condition...

I now have to inject myself with blood thinning medication everyday. My stomach will be covered in bruises as each injection bruises apparently and I have to alternate the injection sites daily.

I have to go to the hospital once a week for a blood test which will carry on until 6 weeks after birth.

The midwife did my first injection for me today and tomorrow I have to do my own... they didn't even give me a fake needle and an orange to have a practice with so god knows what I'll be like tomorrow...I'm dreading it... it hurt like hell when the midwife did it as well. :cry: :cry:

and this injection also means that my chances of being allowed an epidural during labour are very slim

oh and I also have SPD and if it gets any worse I'll have to wear some sort of support brace but tbh after 3 hours of all the injection shite I just wanted to get of the place so I didn't pay much attention to all that... I'll ask again next week when I go back

feeling pretty miserable at the minute :( (but at least LO is ok :) )

:hug: :hug: :hug:

You poor thing, sounds like you've had a crappy day :(

Doing the injection is not nice but you do get used to doing it & it will get easier.
And as you say at least your LO is ok.

Take it easy Hun, sounds like you deserve it.

:hug: :hug:

OMG poor you :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'd try and get someone else to do the injections if I were you...OH??

thanks girls... :hug: :hug:

Midna...shouldn't you be pushing by now!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Emma, the OH is strangely keen about doing the injections which makes me slightly nervous tbh! The midwife says I should try and do iy myself first and if I struggle then allow him to do them. I think he's visualising vets on safari...you know when they get a dart in a tube and blow?! :rotfl: :roll:

:hug: what a terrible day you have had :hug:

I know it is little comfort but at least the baby is ok. You deserve a very big bar of chocolate :hug:

pilkers said:
Emma, the OH is strangely keen about doing the injections which makes me slightly nervous tbh! The midwife says I should try and do iy myself first and if I struggle then allow him to do them. I think he's visualising vets on safari...you know when they get a dart in a tube and blow?! :rotfl: :roll:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: sorry that just sounded so funny...

what i really wanted to do was this.... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

It's true though squig! I'm sure he's off to the local Army and Navy store to find something in Khaki to wear for the occasion! :rotfl:

Squiglet said:
pilkers said:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mine was quite optimistic about me gettin GD too, for that reason. :roll:

Aww bless :hug:

Good to see you've still got your sense of humour though :wink:

Oh no, I really feel for you!

What do you have to have the injections for?

Full of hope! said:
Oh no, I really feel for you!

What do you have to have the injections for?

The injections are to thin my blood because it clots too quickly and that means that I'm at a much higher risk of getting a deep vein thrombosis. It could possibly be a genetic condition but we won't find out until after the pregnancy as obviously our blood changes when we're pregnant.

x thanks for all the nice replies everyone x

Do you know hat the condition is called. I have to have heparin injections every day and yes you're right, they do bloody hurt but you get used to them, I've been on them since 12 weeks. The ocndition I have is called anti phospholipid syndrome(also known as Hughes Syndrom, anti cardiolipid syndrome and 'sticky blood')

The danger is that while it makes your blood thicker it can also cause clotting in the placenta which can stop working. I have to see my haematologist on 28th Novemebr just to check my blood is thin enough, if not they will up my heparin dose (great more times a day!)

I had to have this when I was pregnant with Tim and he arrived safely. I also had an epidural and c section so don't panic about that.

Good luck and if you need any help with the injections pm me. The idea of doing them is worse than the reality.

I haven't been given a proper diagnosis as yet but I've been tested for lupus, phospholipid syndrome and a few others too.

My injection doesn't cross the placenta according to the consultant as there is no risk to the baby. Tbh I was so taken aback with everything they were telling me that stuff didn't really sink in so when I go back next Tuesday I'll hopefully be a bit calmer and find out more.

My first attempt at the injection is at 1pm today and I'm feeling ok about it so far. Did you have to do yours in your stomach too? (My mum was on heparin during her pregnancy and she did hers in her thigh)

Mine are in my tummy so I'm black and blue but I heard on the forum yesterday that if you pinch the skin as you inject, you get less of a bruise. JUst do them, don't think about it and the quicker the better. Don't rub it after as that can cause bruising too.

When I was first told there was a problem I was in complete shcok but I was lucky in that I had a very forward thinking consultant. Anti phospholipid syndrome was virually unheard of ten years ago so I was one of the lucky ones!

The heparin has large molecules which don't cross the placenta so have no impact on Lo at all but my problem was that my blood was so thick that it kept clotting and sticking in the placenta. However the good news is that they keep a very close eye on us ladies with blood problems

At 38 weeks, my consultant lost her bottle (I was a wreck by 38 weeks) and delivered me by c section. I just had to stop taking the heparin for 24 hours and it was out of my system (its not like warfarin which takes much longer to get out of your system). I also had a spinal block (like a epidural) for the birth so don't worry too much.They might just get you to stop taking it a few days before your due date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back