gordon ramseys cook-a-long

Suzie and Faith

Reaction score
i'm not really sure if this should be here or in the TV section, it's just that i really wanted to have a go as it looks like fun and it'll be a good way to keep me cooking but i read the ingredient list and there is so much i'd have to buy! is there a cheap way of doing it!?

OOh where's the list I'll have look and possibly a go too.

i was considering it but i dont like goats cheese or rubarb so thats me out :lol: you'll have to show us the finished product if you do it :D

haha i don't like the sound of it either but i'd like to give it a go.. i'm wondering if i'm brave enough to invite family round and cheeky enough to get them to 'pay' like a few quid a head for their meal.....

i just think it's ridiculously expensive! More than our weekly shop! LOL.

http://www.channel4.com/food

what are the beans for? incase it goes horribly wrong? :lol:

I would really like to do this but we don't have a telly in the kitchen :(

Suzie and Faith said:
i just think it's ridiculously expensive! More than our weekly shop! LOL.

http://www.channel4.com/food

But a lot of the ingridients are staple foods which don't need to be bought extra, apart from the Salmon and the Chevre that is, so it doesn't make it that expensive, if you take all the stuff out which you'd either have in the house anyway, or can use on very many dishes to follow

I just don't agree with buying rhubarb out of season.

Charlie:-) said:
I would really like to do this but we don't have a telly in the kitchen :(

me neither! I'm thinking i'll have to turn the volume up and get OH to yell instructions... ha

But a lot of the ingridients are staple foods which don't need to be bought extra, apart from the Salmon and the Chevre that is, so it doesn't make it that expensive, if you take all the stuff out which you'd either have in the house anyway, or can use on very many dishes to follow

I just don't agree with buying rhubarb out of season.

this is the list

Few sprigs of thyme
Approx 20g bunch of basil
Approx 10g bunch dill
2 x baby gem lettuce, washed
40g lamb's lettuce, washed
750g small new potatoes
1 large head of broccoli, or 2 smaller
2 garlic cloves
500g rhubarb
2 -3 inch piece of ginger
1 apple, such as Granny Smith or Bramley
1 lemon
1 x approx 1kg side of salmon, skinned, pin boned and cut in half
4 x approx 70g individual soft goats cheeses with rind e.g. Gevrik (if small cheeses are unavailable use a larger one cut in half)
145g unsalted butter
500g shortcrust pastry
1 small pot clotted cream
1 x tin baked beans
4 slices of white bread
100g caster sugar
75g demerara sugar
100g plain flour
Couple tablespoons plain flour, to dust pastry
Pinch of ground cinnamon
50g hazelnuts
50g walnut halves
Olive oil
4tbsp walnut oil
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
Salt
Pepper
Splash of dark rum

All we have is: Salt, pepper, olive oil, flour, caster sugar, bread, baked beans, lemon and garlic!
The rest we'd have to buy! and i can't say i'd use much of it again!

You could always do it another time when you have more of the stuff on the list, I think its running every Friday for a good few weeks but not sure how long exactly.

Wish Jamie Oliver was doing it then we might actually be able to afford ( and have heard of lambs lettucce :think: ) things from the list lol

MagicMarkers said:
Wish Jamie Oliver was doing it then we might actually be able to afford ( and have heard of lambs lettucce :think: ) things from the list lol

YEH! he'd be better at it :)

I think it's slightly silly to do a cookalong to encourage cooking using so many ingredients that i'm sure a fair few people don't have - and it's the people that don't have the ingrediants that prob need the help most! i'm gonna have a read through the menu and see if i can do my own cheaper version

thanks for the link widowwadman x

I agree seems overly complicated if it's just to get people cooking. I don't like goats cheese and I don't like fish so I won't be joining in :D And it does seem odd not having seasonal ingredients. Food that's in season is usually cheaper and a better flavour!

Have a look at delia's site http://www.deliaonline.com/ she might have simpler, easier versions.

Just had a look at his menu and some things on there can be simple

Not sure about the goats cheese but here's what I'd do for my version of main and desert

Herbed new potatoes - I'd steam or boil some new tatties and when cooked just tender toss them in a little butter with some herbs, mint or chives would be best and little salt and pepper.

Salmon en croute is fancier but a nice easy way to cook salmon is to take some foil, sprinkle some olive on the middle of the foil, put in a few slices of onion place the salmon on top and add a few fresh herbs, something like dill or maybe tarragon (not very good with fish herbs as I don't eat fish), Maybe a dab of butter on top of the salmon and then bring the sides of the foil up the make a parcel with the fish, make sure it's sealed and cook in a moderate oven for about 20 mins (I'm told it's very nice but for me fish = :puke: :) )

Crumble is really easy, cheat's cherry crumble - take a tin of cherry pie filling dump it into a deep pie dish. Then make the crumble topping, (if I remember rightly, it's been a while) whatever quantity you have of the butter or marge you use the same quantity of sugar and double the quantity of plain flour
eg
6 ounces plain flour
3 ounces butter/marge
3 ounces sugar

or 10 flour and 5 each of butter and sugar or 8 flour and 4 each of butter and sugar

It doesn't matter if you make too much crumble mix as it freezes really well so next time you want crumble you've got the toping ready and it can be cooked from frozen

put the butter/marge into a bowl and add the flour, using the tips of your fingers rub them into each other til the mixture resembles bread crumbs, mix in the sugar and it's done, easy :D , add this on top of your cherries (about an inch an a half deep) and bake in a medium oven til golden on top and the cherries are bubbling, about 40 mins. Put it in the oven when you sit down to the main course and it will be ready when you finished eating and cool enough to eat whenever you're ready.

yum, getting hungry now, might be cherry crumble on the menu for us tomorrow :D

In case you guys didn't see the end, it's a 'credit crunch' menu next week which shouldn't cost more than £10 for the 4 dishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back