Going out making up formula feeds

Millie91

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wonder if u can help, when going out how do you make up feeds? My baby wont take the ready made stuff it makes her sick but dont know how to make a feed from the powder for when wr are out any advice? Xxx

You could fill a flask with boiling water and take the powder separately. Then when you're ready to make the bottle you can use water that will still be the right temperature for ensuring the powder is sterilized.

I fill his bottle with boiling water in a bottle bag. Then tommee tippee do little pots to put ur milk in. Just put it in when baby wants feeding :) x

Hi

There's loads of advice from the NHS about making up feeds. The current advice is to make up feeds when you need them (as the powder should be mixed with water that has been boiled and that is still over 70 degrees - so that any potential germs in the powder, which isn't sterile, are killed). As suggested, the best way to do this when you are out is to take boiling water in a flask, which you can add to the powder when you're out.

Having said that, not everyone finds this practical....plenty of people do it the way Heatheror12 has suggested, and not had any problems.

We used to make them up as per NHS advice (with boiling water) but then cool them quickly in iced water and put them in the fridge. We then warmed them in hot water when our daughter needed one. However, if you do it this way you need to make sure they're made up fairly freshly i.e. we always ensured we used them within half a day......don't leave them in the fridge for days!!!

Hope that helps
xxx

Last edited:
I have the tommee tippee pots to store the formula powder and take 2 flasks out with me. One with boiled hot water and the other with pre-cooled boiled water. Then when out add some hot water to the bottle and the formula to sterilise it and then add the cool water making sure it's a good temperature for LO

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back