Going cold turkey tomorrow

delmesgirl said:
have done 2 whole days!!!! :cheer:
i actually don't believe it - iam sooo addicted to smoking -
this really should give hope to any of you trying to give up - if i can do it - anyone can - really. Nothing has stopped me smoking before (since I gave up when pg 13 yrs ago) even when i went in to work with bronchitis and could hardly breath - i was still going outside for fag breaks.
I'm just thinking - I haven't given up, I'm just not having one for 8 months - holding on to that vision of a cold pint of cider and a fag. mmmmmmm

:clap: Well done and CONGRATULATIONS! :clap: I know how proud you will be feeling right now! :D
I quit cold turkey as soon as I found out I was pregnant (well I had one last one 5 mins after doing my test, but even then the guilt was killing me!) I have smoked since I was 13 :shock: and I have never been able to quit before and like you even when I've been ill I've still had a fag.
For me (my tip!) I believe giving up in pregnancy is a state of mind/way of thinking. I see cigarettes the same as drinking and taking drugs or anything else that could potentially damage or harm my baby. I just could never risk his little life, so for me smoking while I'm pregnant is just not an option. If you can get it into your head that you cannot smoke, half the battle is done. It was still unbelievably hard, but not having a choice means you have to 'push' through the craving............its the only way I could have done it. Hope that helps in some way!

Not to say though that I haven't got the same vision as you. Just mines a beer and a cigarette!! I really can't wait! :rotfl:

maybebaby said:
Quite often it was just because I ALWAYS had one at that time on the way to work, or because I was bored.

I agree. A lot of the time I find myself craving is just after food, or when I'm messing around on the computer (like now :lol: ) my habits trigger the "ooh time for a fag" feeling and then i get a craving. But now I'm thinking well i've managed for 2 days now so i can't need one that much.

Misslarue said:
For me (my tip!) I believe giving up in pregnancy is a state of mind/way of thinking. I see cigarettes the same as drinking and taking drugs or anything else that could potentially damage or harm my baby. I just could never risk his little life, so for me smoking while I'm pregnant is just not an option. If you can get it into your head that you cannot smoke, half the battle is done. It was still unbelievably hard, but not having a choice means you have to 'push' through the craving............its the only way I could have done it. Hope that helps in some way!

i think that's the difference. having a fag when i've got bronchitis is damaging me, but having one when pg is possibly harming precious little bean. I'm very bothered by what people think of me and have a picture in my head of my midwife appt in a couple of weeks time

picture 1 -
m/w - how's the smoking going?
me - well, i've cut down a bit (thinking to myself - oh no m/w thinks i'm a crap mum)

picture 2 -
me - i've given up (huge smug grin)
m/w - that's brilliant - well done!!!

delmesgirl said:
maybebaby said:
Quite often it was just because I ALWAYS had one at that time on the way to work, or because I was bored.

I agree. A lot of the time I find myself craving is just after food, or when I'm messing around on the computer (like now :lol: ) my habits trigger the "ooh time for a fag" feeling and then i get a craving. But now I'm thinking well i've managed for 2 days now so i can't need one that much.

The one after dinner is the worst :wall: (and the one after sex! :oops: :rotfl: )
It does get easier I promise hun. Although I know how weird it is NOT to have a cigarette at the point. The first 2 weeks were the hardest for me. I stopped 24 weeks ago this Sunday and I would say I have about 1-2 cravings a week. Just for the tiniest minute!

delmesgirl said:
i think that's the difference. having a fag when i've got bronchitis is damaging me, but having one when pg is possibly harming precious little bean. I'm very bothered by what people think of me and have a picture in my head of my midwife appt in a couple of weeks time

picture 1 -
me - well, i've cut down a bit (thinking to myself - oh no m/w thinks i'm a crap mum)

Ah bless you! If she's any kind of MW she will be supportive and praise you for even trying (a lot of women don't even bother) She should also help you in anyway she can. You have done so well already and its only be 2 days. :dance:

Well done you. :clap: I quit cold turkey when we were ttc. Charlie is now over 2 months old and I still haven't had or wanted one! :cheer:

Seriously, I don't miss them at all, and I'm even able to fgo out and have a beer without even thinking about it!

tankett said:
Seriously, I don't miss them at all, and I'm even able to fgo out and have a beer without even thinking about it!

:clap: Well done Tankett, I really hope I can do this too. I haven't set foot in pub since becoming pregnant. I am really not good with temptation and from what I can remember a beer and a fag go so nicley together! :wink:

Misslarue said:
tankett said:

:clap: Well done Tankett, I really hope I can do this too. I haven't set foot in pub since becoming pregnant. I am really not good with temptation and from what I can remember a beer and a fag go so nicley together! :wink:

You may surprise yourself when you do go in. I walk in now and turn my nose up at the horrible smell! I can't wait until the no smoking law comes in next summer so I can go out again. We went out for a night a couple of weeks ago (first time since birth!) and I was up at 5.30am having a shower because the smell of smoke in my hair was making me feel sick in bed! :rotfl:

Well Done Hunny!!

You must be feeling really proud - keep up the good work if you can :cheer:

tankett said:
You may surprise yourself when you do go in. I walk in now and turn my nose up at the horrible smell! I can't wait until the no smoking law comes in next summer so I can go out again. We went out for a night a couple of weeks ago (first time since birth!) and I was up at 5.30am having a shower because the smell of smoke in my hair was making me feel sick in bed! :rotfl:

I really hope I can because as much as I'm looking forward to a beer and a fag, I don't really want to start smoking again. And especially not day in day out as I used too.
I totally agree with the stinking thing. Whenever my OH comes in from the garden after having a fag, I get great pleasure from telling him how much he stinks! :rotfl:

Well done girls :D I quit when I found out I was pregnant. I also thenstarted to feel really sick around anyone who smoked so now when I smell smoke it still makes me feel ill! I haven't had one for nearly 2 years now :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back