Going back to shift work

Meggiewoo

Reaction score
Ok, heres the thing.

I'm an A&E staff nurse who works on a 7-7 12 hour rota day/night shift. I'm going back the beginning of January to a part time contract of 28.12 hours per week. This means i will be doing 2 shifts for two weeks then three shifts for two weeks . Anyway! Me and OH are hoping to juggle childcare between us - he works for my dad and basically does 3 days tue, wed, thu. I was wondering if any of you lovely ladies are in a similar situation? How do you cope with nightshift and looking after LO - or getting a chance to be with them when working shifts?

Thanks you guys x x x x

Kim x x x x

Hi :wave:, I'm a nurse too & I'm going back to work in January to do 2 night shifts, 2030-0815 a week. I have asked to work every saturday & sunday night as far as possible as I need to rely on my mum to look after Poppy (she has asked her work to have mondays off) as my OH works away for up to 6 months at a time. This way I get to spend lots of time with her during the week. I looked into working more hours but then I would have to leave her in a nursery & financially, it didn't make any sense & I wouldn't see her as much. Don't know how I'm going to deal with the tiredness though!!

Hope you get sorted :hug:

Hi Kerry!

Thanks for the reply. The sister who does our rota is really nice and told me she will accomodate me best she can. I'm hoping to make my 3 day weeks all nightshift which will be a help (And give us more money!) I love my job and don't mind doing bank shifts to make extra but am just dreading leaving Baillie behind! :(

A mothers work............

Kim x x x x x

KERRYGOLD00 said:
I'm glad your Sister is good like that, mine is the same which is great as it eases the pressure & stress of going back to work!! I have to admit, I'm dreading leaving Poppy but it's only for 2 days & she loves my mum as she has her wrapped around her wee finger!! I suppose we are lucky that we can work shifts to suit family life. Anyway, I'm going to win the lottery before I go back so I won't have to worry about it!!! :rotfl:

I hope your not planning to win the same week as me! :rotfl:

Who am I kidding I don't even play it!

What type of ward do you work on?

Kim x x x x

A&E. In Glasgow this is an amusing/scary place to work!

Our staff levels have been so crap while i've been off they even canceled some peoples annual leave!

Lovely eh!

Even so i'm quite looking forward to getting back into the swing of things x x x x x x

Kim x x x

I was going to ask a similar question to you.

I'm a nurse too and I'm having to go back to work next april, but I've got to go back full time on nights because I've now got a mortgage to pay on my own. I'm hoping family and friends can help with having the kids overnight and then a childminder for Alicia during the day when I'm sleeping. Unfortunately I know this might be unsettling for them to begin with but if I don't go back full time I'll lose the house.

bunnymom1980 said:
I was going to ask a similar question to you.

I'm a nurse too and I'm having to go back to work next april, but I've got to go back full time on nights because I've now got a mortgage to pay on my own. I'm hoping family and friends can help with having the kids overnight and then a childminder for Alicia during the day when I'm sleeping. Unfortunately I know this might be unsettling for them to begin with but if I don't go back full time I'll lose the house.

The mortgage is the reason i'm not dropping less hours...........houses should be free!!

Hope you get the support and sleep you need!

Kim x x x x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back