• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Going Abroad With A 4 Month Old ???

Marianne

Reaction score
We are going to Spain in june, Findlay will be just turned 4 months the day we fly out, i'm a bit unsure about what I can take in my hand luggage for him (i.e. bottles..how much...how many?...etc), Will I be allowed to take his nappy cream?

Also, is there any way of helping him with his ears (to stop them from popping, or to ease it a bit so it doesnt hurt him so much) ?

Also, should I take sterilising tablets for his bottles,teats and toys or is boiling there tap water ok?

That's all I can think of at the moment to ask lol

x:)

Hi marianne, I too want to know these answers! My LO will be 7 months when we go away.

We'll be doing baby led weaning so I was wondering if I could take some bit of cucumber/pepper. Cool boiled water in a cup, maybe even some expressed breastmilk for the landing and taking off (thought the sucking could help with his ears).

Also does anyone know if you have to pay separate to take on a pushchair? We've had to pay for Blake but he hasn't got a luggage allowance!

Hope someone has the answers.

Hi there, I've done quite a bit of travelling with baby ( I took Quinn home to Ireland from NZ when he was 3 months old) so I think I can answer most questions :)

Yes you can take filled bottles through security - they may ask you to taste them though. I was b/feeding Quinn the first time we travelled so didn't take any bottles but the next time we flew home he was about 8 months old and I took 6 bottles filled with sterilised water through security at all airports - Auckland, LA, Heathrow and Dublin and the only place I had to taste the water was in the UK (sorry :)). I took his formula through in separate containers and it was all fine.

Nappy cream should also be fine - if possible take the smallest container of it possible in your hand luggage - although anything under 100ml is usually ok.

Snacks for baby are fine, just be aware that some countries have strict policies on not allowing non processed foods, fruit etc into the country - eg New Zealand & Australia has a strict no fruit / vegetable policy but I think within EU you should be fine. If in doubt, you can always ditch anything bubs hasn't eaten on the plane.

Most airlines also can provide special meals for weaning babies/ toddlers. They might not be able to eat everything on the tray but things like fruit, yoghurts and breadrolls can all come in handy!

Feeding either b/feeding or bottle or sucking on a dummy is the best thing for their ears on take off and descent. I'm more in favour of the feeding than dummy sucking as the swallowing seems to really help.

If possible request a bassinet seat against the bulkhead ...although be aware that although you may have requested one, they are usually allocated on the basis of age so younger babies tend to take priority for these. If you can get one - they make the journey so much easier!! Airline will supply blankets etc for the bassinet but I usually bring my own as they're softer.

For older kids eg - 6 months+ it can be so much easier on long journeys if they have their own seat - but be aware that they will have to be seated in a car seat which you must supply and which must adhere to your airlines safety guidelines. Also as the width of some airlines seats can vary it's useful to make sure that your car seat will fit within the airline seat with the arm rests in the lowered position. We bought a car seat that converts into a stroller ( a Godsend for sitting in airline lounges or running through terminals!). It's called the Pod and literally I could wheel Quinn straight onto the plane, down the aisle and then just flick a switch, have the wheels fold back up into the base of the seat and pop his seat into the airline seat and strap it in - I would not be without it!

Also, be aware that most airlines board famillies with young children before general boarding so you have a bit more time to get yourself settled.

Most airlines carry pushchairs free of charge but travel cots etc will only be carried as part of your standard luggage allowance. Most major airlines will allow you to use the pushchair right up to boarding the plane when it will be removed and stowed and then on landing it should be available to you again for use from the airplane door onwards. Some charter airlines may differ so it's worth checking with either the airline or your travel agent before you leave .

Honestly travelling with babies is a breee - it's when they're walking and talking that it gets more difficult :)

Enjoy your holidays!

Thanks iriki that car seat/pushchair sounds great!

This thing with the pushchair-being able to use until take off-can I ask a few things? I have a Stokke xplory which isn't the lightest but I'm adamant I'm taking it. I got a padded travel bag on wheels free with it so I'm hoping to put it in that. I was going to check it in at the main desk because I didn't realise I could still use it after this point. Do they restrict pushchairs and allow only a certain size or do you think they would allow me to pack it into the travel bag at the terminal?

We are flying easyjet to Portugal. I've tried calling and asking but can't get through.

heya i brought bottles full to the brim of sterilised water then just the powder in containers , as for creams etc, under 100mls?? if u cant get small enough put into a clear bottle which max holds 100ml :)......

i used boiling water for her bottles but thats personal choice as some people feel this isnt enough , madison is still here btw lol!!

as for ear popping plenty of drinks on flight just to keep bubs swallowing and if baby is sleeping dont worry, if baby sucks a dummy great!!! madison slept thru most of it and no ears popping or nothing :) ur gonna have a ball!! my one recommendation for a baby so young is pop up uv tent ?? there 50+spf and u can bring to beach etc for bubs to sleep as they can sleep in pram but sun moves that quick its hard to keep them constantly shaded without disturbing them!! also thinkk the tents are half price in argos atm they r fab!! xx

Rayoflight - there shouldnt be a restriction on the size of pushchair. I worked on check in and boarding gates and was also a supervisor at airport over 6 years and I never questioned the size of a pushchair. They just take it from you at boarding gate regardless of size xx

yeah i dont think theres restriction on size BUT my mamas and papas pliko got broken!! we fixed it but another lady on the flat hers was unfixable :( so dont take too expensive of a pram just incase! xx

I emailed the airport we are flying from and told them which airline we are flying with, i asked about the cabin baggage allowance when with an infant and the bottles,this was her reply.

Good Morning

I have just contacted handling and you are allowed 1 10kg bag, stroller
and also a baby bag (less than 10kg). The baby formula bottles are ok to
go through security over 100ml but if they are in the bottle you maybe
asked to taste the formula or if its in the carton please make sure that
this is sealed. No they don't need to be in a transparent bag, but make
sure that when going through security you put them in a separate tray
with anyother liquids you have.

So just to make sure i'm understanding this properly, i'm allowed a 10kg cabin bag, my stroller and an additional cabin bag as long as it's less than 10kg (on me myself) ???

Which means my partner can take his own cabin baggage (10kg), am I right ?
xx

Yep, you're allowed your cabin baggage, one bag for baby and one stroller... so hubby can definitely take his own :)
Definitely think all sizes / shapes of strollers are acceptable - if it takes a while to collapse / put back up well then so be it!
Am very jealous of everyone jetting off on holidays to warm places now...it's coming into winter here now and getting colder :(

send me a postcard :)

Yep, you're allowed your cabin baggage, one bag for baby and one stroller... so hubby can definitely take his own :)
Definitely think all sizes / shapes of strollers are acceptable - if it takes a while to collapse / put back up well then so be it!
Am very jealous of everyone jetting off on holidays to warm places now...it's coming into winter here now and getting colder :(

send me a postcard :)

Is there a weight limit for the babies bag? I know she say's under 10kg, but that could mean anything i,e, 0.1kg under 10kg (i know that sounds silly but in a way i'm making sense lol)

I would've thought it can be up to and including 9.99kg if it has to be under 10kg! So long as both bags together are less than 20kg then I wouldn't worry to much - you can always stick some baby stuff in your bag etc :)

I don't think they're too strict about baby's cabin bags TBH. I've never been asked to have his bag weighed. We managed to fit all of Quinn's bottles, changes of clothes, nappies, creams, snacks, toys etc into his usual baby bag for the flight and had xtra nappies etc in all of our bags too.

Don't panic about running out of nappies, most airlines carry them on board also (again not sure about charter airlines) but know BA, Qantas and AIR NZ all do, as the air hostesses told me once we had boarded in case we needed anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back