Glucose Tolerance Test

Fly

Reaction score
:roll: I have to go for one of these at 7am and typically have gotten myself worked up a bit about it and have woken up at stupid o clock!!! way way too early and so am sat here with a rumbling belly now watching the clock tick round.. taxi is booked for 6.45am. I really wanna cuppa too :( they've only booked me in for this cos of my age and cos my BMI was on the high side on booking in :roll: i agreed to the test at the time cos i weren't really aware of what it entailled but after fasting for 8 hours, i gotta go and have full bloods taken this morning and then have a glucose drink n then sit about for 2 hours for another lot of bloods to be taken - great! :| am gonna treat meself to breakfast from the cafe on my way home though! :lol: grumble grumble moan moan - right i'll shut up now :lol: xxx

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I had a tiny mouthful of milk in the night to ease savage heartburn (figured it wouldn't hurt and would be less sugary than gaviscon) n so they won't see me now cos its not been a full on 8 hour fast FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

So I told them to shove the test up their butts! Its not worth the bloody discomfort in all honesty! So she starts harpin on about me BMI :twisted: :shakehead: n then says that really if its not done now in the pregnancy then the consultant won't be able to offer me insulin :roll: I'm like " LOOK! they haven't found any sugar in my piss at all and my baby isn't bigger than his dates so if n when that happens then maybe i'll put myself through this ridiculous bloody test but til then... shove it up ya bum missus!"

Now I feel guilty for havin the milk n guilty for declining the test but honestly :( I really don't think i can manage to do the fast girls :( anyone else been in this situation?

i had the test done a few weeks ago. it wasn't too bad for me cause i just slept straight through the night and just headed down there first thing in the morning.

I only had it done because my dad has diabetes and i passed it fine.

and you can refuse any tests you want to remember! so dont let them get to you!

hi hun i had it done 3 times in my pregnancy with hannah but never had my blood taken first only after the glocose drink and then they offered us a sandwich and a drink, it still came back clear and my daughter was still born showing all the signs of a diabetic baby and needed scbu so i think it is a load of rubbish to be honest but dont worry hun the test is nothing :hug:

Hiya :)

I didn't have the test.

I had larger baby, higher BMI at the time and also was old (as they class it), 37 is so ancient :roll:

I did have a blood test taken at an appointment/growth scan with my consultant at 34 weeks and it came back fine. I'd scoffed cereal and a big glass of OH that morning too as had'nt banked on having blood taken.

I was fine :)

Stick to a decent diet and so long as your urine dips come back ok each time then unless you feel there is a need go with how you feel.

Personally I'd have not mentioned the milk :wink: You don't have to have any tests taken you don't wish to, and if you decide you do want this one, the GTT, then just ring your MW and explain and they'll re-book you :hug: High BMI, diabetes in the family, age, they are all factors but don't mean anything, I had the GT test with both my pregnancies and I'm fine, Isaac was a healthy 8lb 2oz and I have a high BMI. You have to listen to what you're advised but it doesn;t mean they make your decisions for you, or that they are right, just read up on the facts and make your informed choice, don't let them upset you, its their job to say what they do, allbeit they are somewhat cold and rash from some stories you hear. Hope you're feeling better now, very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thankyou for the replies ladies :hug: am feeling alot better for reading what you have all had to say about the tests and not feeling guilty now. Infact I've decided to put it out of my mind and if the midwife brings it up then i'll talk about it then :)
Thankyou for setting my mind at rest all of you xxxxxx

Just to add that I had my GTT a few weeks back and the MW said that they get about 100 ladies tested a month and only about 5 every quarter that have any problems, I dont know how accurate that realy is or how that relates nationally but made me a bit less anxious.

I Dont eat breakfast and sometimes dont eat till evening when not preggers, so fasting didnt really bother me that much, killed me not being able to chugg gaviscon though and luckily I asked after the first bloods if I could swig the gaviscon before the next bloods and they said no Gawd it was painful!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back