Glucose Tolerance Test???

Loulabelle

Reaction score
Has anyone had one of these and if so, what is the procedure?

My midwife booked an appointment for mine which is tomorrow. I have to fast from midnight and the test is at 9:30am. I've googled it and there seem to be 2 possibilities - it could be the one hour screening test, or the 3 hour tolerency test. Im not sure which Im having as its the first one I've had but it's definitely been written in my notes as a tolerency test, rather than a screen. Also the websites I've read seem to be indicating that the screening test doesn't involve fasting but the 3hr test does.

Has anyone got any info as to which one they think I might be having, as I'll have to let work know if I'm going to be missing for the whole morning!! (ps I am having the test due to diabetes in my family, so OH said maybe I've been put straight through to the second test?!?!)

Thanks xx

i have also been booked in for this test next monday.

I however have to fast from 9.45 on the sunday till 7.45 when i have to pee and then down lucozade original (410ml) within 5 mins and then still not eat drink or pee until 9.45 when i have to have bloods done and a urine sample. then 30 mins later more bloods and then 30 mins after that (10.45am) more bloods. if u fail the blood tests.... you then have to have more bloods an hr later and then more an hour after that. total 3hrs. you can then eat etc.

ADVICE take lots of food with you as midwife said it can make a lot of people ill.

hope that helps xx

I had to fast from 10pm the night before and went in at 8:30 had my bloods taken then I had to drink a bottle of lucozade within 20mins and then two hours after I finished drinking I had another blood test and then they phoned mentwo days later with the results! Was boring but apart from that it was fine!

:/ i was given a letter with the outline of what happens.... noone else i know has had a GLT. Why do we have to have 1??

Has anyone had one of these and if so, what is the procedure?

My midwife booked an appointment for mine which is tomorrow. I have to fast from midnight and the test is at 9:30am. I've googled it and there seem to be 2 possibilities - it could be the one hour screening test, or the 3 hour tolerency test. Im not sure which Im having as its the first one I've had but it's definitely been written in my notes as a tolerency test, rather than a screen. Also the websites I've read seem to be indicating that the screening test doesn't involve fasting but the 3hr test does.

Has anyone got any info as to which one they think I might be having, as I'll have to let work know if I'm going to be missing for the whole morning!! (ps I am having the test due to diabetes in my family, so OH said maybe I've been put straight through to the second test?!?!)

Thanks xx

I have had the GTT twice (1st as normal procedure, the 2nd because I was VERY thirsty)

I had to fast for 6 hours, so my appointments were always early morning, the nurse took my blood then gave me a 500ml drink of Original lucozade. I then went back to the surgery 2 hours later for another blood sample.

I then went home and ate!!!! lol

The results come through fairly quickly (2 days)

The also do the 2nd GTT if your baby is measuring big I believe.

I had one as my BMI was over 30. I had to fast from midnight had bloods taken at 8.30am, then drank a high sugar drink which I was given, then bloods again in 2hrs.

I got one next wednesday, have to fast from midnight, at hospital at 9am where they will take a pinpric of blood, then have a glucose drink and have to sit there for 2 hours then they will take more blood, not allowed to leave hospital or go for walk or anything, was told to bring a book :( they will also take my 28 week bloods at same time .. lol

Thanks ladies, I shall let work know and expect to be there for a few hours at least! Xx

I had mine last Friday and was there all morning! Lots of waiting around and grumpy hungry pregnant women! wasn't allowed to eat from 10pm the night before up until the test was finished at midday - felt very faint by the end of it. And to top it off they gave me a voucher for a free sandwich from the canteen and I scoffed it down only to find out afterwards it was out of date!! xx

Nothing to worry about ladies.....had mine at 14 weeks as had lots of sugar in urine...went onto meds straight away and got to 31 weeks (yest) before I had to go onto insulin injections last night and thats totally fine too and nothing to worry about so not saying that will happen to you ladies but if it does come back high dont panic...just stick to your healthy eating and not too much sugar...BIG BABIES! lol xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back