Getting a toddler to eat healthier food

Hunnie

Reaction score
Not my little boy, but OHs 2 year old son and need advice on how to get him to eat healthier food as he turns his nose up at most fruit and veg and anything remotely healthy really.

I don't want to force him into anything as he isnt my child but me and OH are fairly healthy with our eating and intend LO to be once she is on solid foods as well so OHs little boy will have to fit in as I don't think it's too much to ask him to eat a bit healthier if that's what we are all having :/ but he just won't entertain the idea at the minute.

I don't have any experience of this but maybe getting him involved in the shopping and preparation of his food would help. Maybe try homemade veggie pizza that he can top himself?

My lo is a fussy eater, and we go to cook and eat sessions every tuesday for two hours. Basically its for fussy kids, they get to play with food, smell it, chop it theirselves and hopefully eat it.

So far we have made fruit salad,
Brocolli omlette
Home made beans on toast
Hummous
Rice cake faces (with philly, cherry tomato eyes, pepper mouth, tomato nose etc etc)
Vegetavle soup

My l has mad so much progress but it still fussy.

If i make a pasta sauce i blend up load of veg and hide them that way iykwim.

If your area doesnt offer these courses, id just say patience and perseverence. Ypur lo is older than mine so will prob undertand more...for example..make food time fun, brocolli is trees for examplle, make mash potato face woth a sausage smile, tomato eyes, beans for the hair....etc etc

Good luck, i know how awful it is t have a fussy eater! But honestly i find that him eating together with the pther kids has helped alot

I understand its not my decision to make whether he eats healthily or not (it's his mothers) but I just want to make it so that he gets to go home after he's been at ours with a full belly instead of turning his nose up at stuff.

I think I'll try the involvement thing and also making faces with food so it all looks more appealing :)!

Hiya, you could make a game out of it with him, get some fruit and veg, and play with it with him, then cut it up and have tasting sessions say things like I wonder what this ones like etc... Charlie &Lola style lol xx good luck

Doodles used to be a git for eating fruit & veg, but I found letting him help pick which things he wanted to eat has helped. He still gets his moments where he wont budge but now if he's adamant he wants chicken nuggets & chips then we give him fresh chicken & home-made wedges. Or occassionally we'll give him the grilled Birdseye Chicken & McCains oven wedges but we make sure he has some mixed veg with it.

oooh would highly reccomend I Can Cook on CBBeebies too! My son LOVES Katie & he likes to copy her x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back