• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gender Question...yes another one

Riot_Grrrl

Reaction score
HOLA just a quick question you know when your having your 20week scan...well when the sonographer is looking for the gender (i know this sounds silly) but what do they look for. Obviously a little winkie for a boy, but what about the girls..do they just look for the absense of a winkie or something else?? i heard they look for 3 lines?? (just read that in an old post). And do you think they would guess the sex if they wasn't 99% certain? thanx a lot :lol: ...btw i have had 3 children but you'd never guess :oops:

I would have thought the absence of a winky would probably indicate a girl, plus they can see ovaries etc as far as I'm aware but really not sure to be honest :lol: They'd never just guess though, and even when they believe they know the sex, they never say they're 100% as even experienced sonographers have gotten their 'suggestion' wrong before :)

I once found a really good website that expained it but I can't find it now. Try this though: http://www.ob-ultrasound.net/genderfaq.html

Basically, three lines (or the cheeseburger) for girls, and a hotdog for the boys. Everyone says they can't be 100% correct, I think if they know you want to know and they're only 80% sure for example, they'd tell you that. I've heard people be told the sonographer *thinks* it's this or that.

I was told that they look for a hamburger or a snail - hamburger is for a girl and the snail is for a boy. Someone at work told me that their friend had asked not to be told at the 20 week scan what she was having, but they had to tell her she needed further tests cos they could see something on the babies ovaries - which gave it away a bit :wink:

Our sonographer told us that she thought it was a girl, but that she wasn't 100% sure. I guess they are cautious cos we live in a society where people wouldn't think twice about suing.

We are going for a 4D scan at the end of the month so hopefully will get told a girl again :D

Xxx

I know at ours the sonographer zoomed in on the willy and said that it was definitely a boy, she even pointed out the testes at the base of the willy. Even though she was certain, I keep thinking maybe we should have another scan just to check although I would be very surprised to be told that it was a girl after birth.

As others have said, they look for the willy on boys and with girls it is the presence of the 3 lines. If they cant see a willy it doesnt automatically mean its a boy, cos it might be lying at a funny angle or have it tucked in his legs, they wont just say its a girl if they dont see the lines. Our gender scan lasted about an hour in total because baby was being awkward, but the sonographer explained to us in great detail how they check for gender. She also had the cord in between her legs at one stage which I guess could be mistaken for a willy, but they can check things like the blood flow, which would obviously indictae the cord rather than a willy. Even when they have seen the goods and are pretty positive what it is, they will still only tell you they are 95% sure to cover their own backs in case they are wrong. As far as Im aware the only fool proof way of knowing the sex is with tests like the amnio where they actually grow cells from your baby so theres no doubt. Ours was certain its a girl after having several good views of her lady bits, so Im fairly confident, considering she explained it all so well and pointed things out to us. There is always a small element of doubt though right up until birth! x

They look to see if their reading Cosmo or Topgear Mag...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sorry im in a naughty mood, i think its winkie or three lines...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back