Full-time student WTT

JRose

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here :)

Myself and my boyfriend are WTT. In Feb 2020 we come back from holiday and then we need to find a new rental then it's a go-go. I'll still be a full-time student but I'm ok with it being hard. I'll be in my final year, with not many subjects to go.
I'll be in the UK for a month in Jan-Feb visiting friends and family (I live in Australia) and we are tempted to begin TTC whilst in the UK, because of the sentimentality of being over there where I'm from. Bub would be born in Australia but we'd know it was conceived in my home country. Pending successful conception of course.

Would this be a really bad idea? Has anyone ever got morning sickness before 5-6 weeks? If we began TTC around halfway through the holiday (depending on my dates) then I'd only be 2-3 weeks when we're travelling home. Should be straight forward right?

Always open to opinions :)

Hi hun welcome.
I wish you all the luck in your journey but I just want to give you some advice.
It takes a healthy couple around 6-12months to actually conceive, although I hope it does only take you that 1 month while you are in the UK, try not to get your hopes up that you will be flying back to Australia pregnant.
I started my journey very naive and thought as soon as I came off the pill I would magically be pregnant. It doesn’t work like that and 14 cycles later I am still here trying.
Enjoy the TTC journey, it will happen when it’s meant to. X

Hi hun welcome.
I wish you all the luck in your journey but I just want to give you some advice.
It takes a healthy couple around 6-12months to actually conceive, although I hope it does only take you that 1 month while you are in the UK, try not to get your hopes up that you will be flying back to Australia pregnant.
I started my journey very naive and thought as soon as I came off the pill I would magically be pregnant. It doesn’t work like that and 14 cycles later I am still here trying.
Enjoy the TTC journey, it will happen when it’s meant to. X

That's fair enough. I worry that if I don't absolutely be prepared for one month then i'll happen when I'm not prepared. I'm a bit of a control freak but I'm definitely improving and accepting things as they come. I don't want to try before then just in case I fall straight away (by luck) but I do think about not falling pregnant straight away. Do you think it's worth trying sooner rather than later? As in, if I tried in the next month or two. Is it a really silly idea to try if I know I'll be travelling for a month?

Thank you for replying by the way! x

I totally believe in things will happen when it’s meant to.
I don’t think you can totally be prepared in this journey if I am honest. When you start trying you just don’t know how long it’s going to take you. Have you been on birth control or are you still on it?
A good idea is to start using opks to know when your ovulating if you don’t already know.

Personally if you know you are ready for a baby then it doesn’t hurt to ‘casually’ start trying. If you definitely don’t want to be pregnant while you are travelling in the Uk for that specific month then don’t start trying until you have finished that. I just wanted to give you an insight to other people’s journey. It’s easy to fall into that trap of naivety and think as soon as you have sexual intercourse without contraception you will be pregnant. That really isn’t the case.

I totally believe in things will happen when it’s meant to.
I don’t think you can totally be prepared in this journey if I am honest. When you start trying you just don’t know how long it’s going to take you. Have you been on birth control or are you still on it?
A good idea is to start using opks to know when your ovulating if you don’t already know.

Personally if you know you are ready for a baby then it doesn’t hurt to ‘casually’ start trying. If you definitely don’t want to be pregnant while you are travelling in the Uk for that specific month then don’t start trying until you have finished that. I just wanted to give you an insight to other people’s journey. It’s easy to fall into that trap of naivety and think as soon as you have sexual intercourse without contraception you will be pregnant. That really isn’t the case.

The only reason we're not trying at the moment is money. We're hoping to save a few thousand so that we can set ourselves up well once bub is born. Prams, cots etc.

I would think I'd rather not be pregnant for the trip just because I have a fear of vomitting so to be travelling with sickness would probably cause me a lot of stress. Rather be able to lock myself away at home haha. x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I’m from Aus too. :) If you fell pregnant right now you’d be 6 months whilst travelling. Going from Australia to the UK is a 24hr trip and doing that whilst 6 months pregnant will not be easy or pleasant! Personally I’d wait, you won’t get that kind of alone time with your partner until bubs is older so you can make that trip your last hoorah as a couple if you will, lol. Plus it’s always good to save. Babies are money pits in that first year haha. Plus you don’t want to be studying whilst pregnant. Pregnancy can be incredibly hard on you and studying is just unnecessary stress.

I agree with Char, there’s nothing wrong with TTC whilst on holiday. I had morning sickness at 3 weeks (was one of my first signs of pregnancy) but most people don’t get it until 5-7 weeks. The odds of falling pregnant first go aren’t great but the vast majority of healthy couples don’t need to try for more than 6 months, so I wouldn’t rush into it just because you think it’ll be a long journey x

I had morning sickness from 3 weeks with my first pregnancy. It's the only reason I took a test.

I would also wait, and say dont start trying until youre absolutely ready. I went on honeymoon at 8 weeks pregnant because we expected it to take a few months, and it was only a 12 hour flight but it was hard work. I had horrible sickness and needed to nap twice a day. January isn't too long away at all so I would wait it out, have a great trip catching up with friends and family and look forward to trying once you get back home! X

Hi, I’m from Aus too. :) If you fell pregnant right now you’d be 6 months whilst travelling. Going from Australia to the UK is a 24hr trip and doing that whilst 6 months pregnant will not be easy or pleasant! Personally I’d wait, you won’t get that kind of alone time with your partner until bubs is older so you can make that trip your last hoorah as a couple if you will, lol. Plus it’s always good to save. Babies are money pits in that first year haha. Plus you don’t want to be studying whilst pregnant. Pregnancy can be incredibly hard on you and studying is just unnecessary stress.

I agree with Char, there’s nothing wrong with TTC whilst on holiday. I had morning sickness at 3 weeks (was one of my first signs of pregnancy) but most people don’t get it until 5-7 weeks. The odds of falling pregnant first go aren’t great but the vast majority of healthy couples don’t need to try for more than 6 months, so I wouldn’t rush into it just because you think it’ll be a long journey x

That makes a lot of sense, I've seen people talk about a 'babymoon' haha that can be ours. A pre-babymoon if you will.
I agree about travelling being hard, I can't imagine how hard it would be pregnant, especially if I get sick. It's not particularly pleasant even when not pregnant. Oooh you're Australian too... Do you have an estimate of how much you spent in the first year? I have a spreadsheet and I'm making a list of things I might need and taking into account getting some second hand but doing one for everything brand new just so that I make sure I have enough money.

I had morning sickness from 3 weeks with my first pregnancy. It's the only reason I took a test.

I would also wait, and say dont start trying until youre absolutely ready. I went on honeymoon at 8 weeks pregnant because we expected it to take a few months, and it was only a 12 hour flight but it was hard work. I had horrible sickness and needed to nap twice a day. January isn't too long away at all so I would wait it out, have a great trip catching up with friends and family and look forward to trying once you get back home! X

Ok noted, so some people really do get sick quite soon. Definitely going to wait until we have been away. Of course accidents happen, but as far as TTC goes, I'll wait until we get back from holiday. :D x

That makes a lot of sense, I've seen people talk about a 'babymoon' haha that can be ours. A pre-babymoon if you will.
I agree about travelling being hard, I can't imagine how hard it would be pregnant, especially if I get sick. It's not particularly pleasant even when not pregnant. Oooh you're Australian too... Do you have an estimate of how much you spent in the first year? I have a spreadsheet and I'm making a list of things I might need and taking into account getting some second hand but doing one for everything brand new just so that I make sure I have enough money.

For me, sickness passed at 5 months but after that I was in pain most days. Hip pain, back pain, horrific period cramps if I stood/walked too much etc. so I’d have not been able to travel that far!

Haha oh dear I hate to think how much I spent!!! Babies really can cost as much or as little as you want, there’s cheap/expensive versions of everything and you can get everything second hand.. we bought everything new and had no friends/family to give us stuff so spent more than most people. Some expenses we’ve had so far:

Pregnancy Ultrasounds: $600 (they are not fully covered by Medicare and cost $200 a pop)
Pre-Natal vitamins: $30/mth
Clothes (maternity wear and baby clothes): $1000 (?? I don’t know but I’ve spent A LOT on clothes - you don’t have to)
Pram: $1200 (you can get a decent pram for around $600 or a second hand one for $100 - this was my splash)
Car seat: $200 (can be $50-500)
Cot and mattress: $300 (ikea)
Chest of drawers: $150 (ikea)
Feeding/rocking chair: $300 (not necessary but has been handy)
Then of course once bubs is born there’s nappies ($20/wk and formula $25/wk). I tried to breastfeed and really wanted to, but couldn’t. I’ve spent at least $100 on bottles (we had a lot of issues) and another $150 on a breastpump. I’ve also bought a swing $80, bouncer $120, play gym $80, nappy bag $50, high chair $100..
There’s also toys which I’ve probably spent $200 on so far.

Hope that helps! Also know paid maternity leave here is only 18 weeks!

For me, sickness passed at 5 months but after that I was in pain most days. Hip pain, back pain, horrific period cramps if I stood/walked too much etc. so I’d have not been able to travel that far!

Haha oh dear I hate to think how much I spent!!! Babies really can cost as much or as little as you want, there’s cheap/expensive versions of everything and you can get everything second hand.. we bought everything new and had no friends/family to give us stuff so spent more than most people. Some expenses we’ve had so far:

Pregnancy Ultrasounds: $600 (they are not fully covered by Medicare and cost $200 a pop)
Pre-Natal vitamins: $30/mth
Clothes (maternity wear and baby clothes): $1000 (?? I don’t know but I’ve spent A LOT on clothes - you don’t have to)
Pram: $1200 (you can get a decent pram for around $600 or a second hand one for $100 - this was my splash)
Car seat: $200 (can be $50-500)
Cot and mattress: $300 (ikea)
Chest of drawers: $150 (ikea)
Feeding/rocking chair: $300 (not necessary but has been handy)
Then of course once bubs is born there’s nappies ($20/wk and formula $25/wk). I tried to breastfeed and really wanted to, but couldn’t. I’ve spent at least $100 on bottles (we had a lot of issues) and another $150 on a breastpump. I’ve also bought a swing $80, bouncer $120, play gym $80, nappy bag $50, high chair $100..
There’s also toys which I’ve probably spent $200 on so far.

Hope that helps! Also know paid maternity leave here is only 18 weeks!

Isn't it crazy what our bodies go through and adjust to in order to reproduce?! It's pretty amazing, but I bet it feels like a ton of bricks at times. I'd be assuming everything will be bought myself and my boyfriend, no help from family. Any help is a bonus and I wouldn't want to rely on that. Ok the costs are about what I have estimated- minus the maternity clothing hahah wowza! I was hoping to just wear baggy stuff the whole time. If it's timed well for winter at least that'd be helpful because I wear big jumpers in winter. So then I'd just need to buy clothing for summer. So much pre-thinking to be done when it's a plan. I guess when it's a surprise there's much less time to spend stressing about whether the pram is going to be right, etc.

Isn't it crazy what our bodies go through and adjust to in order to reproduce?! It's pretty amazing, but I bet it feels like a ton of bricks at times. I'd be assuming everything will be bought myself and my boyfriend, no help from family. Any help is a bonus and I wouldn't want to rely on that. Ok the costs are about what I have estimated- minus the maternity clothing hahah wowza! I was hoping to just wear baggy stuff the whole time. If it's timed well for winter at least that'd be helpful because I wear big jumpers in winter. So then I'd just need to buy clothing for summer. So much pre-thinking to be done when it's a plan. I guess when it's a surprise there's much less time to spend stressing about whether the pram is going to be right, etc.

Oh I spent like $100 total on maternity clothes.. one pair of shorts, one pair of jeans, one pair of tights, two dresses and two tops. I was lucky that I carried small so didn’t really need maternity tops until the last month. I did need the pants at about 16 weeks though. What I meant was I spent a fortune on baby clothes from birth - 12 months haha they go through them!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back