Freezing food question

Kimbo

Reaction score
I've been slaving away all morning and made huge amounts of bolognese and shepherd's/cottage pies with different veg in, plus loads of cheesy mash for Leah.
What else can I cook & freeze?

fish pies, curries including the rice... anything!

does it make you feel all gooey and lovely when you see all your hard work potted and labled up or is that just me??? :oops:

how do you make chilli because i really fancy that lol
i didn't know you could freeze rice :doh: :doh: can you freeze pasta?

I make Chili by making Spag Bol sauce then addind chili kidney beans and some chili paste or flakes :D

chilli kidney beans?
how much do you put in?

yip chili kidney beans, should be beside the normal kidney beans in the supermarket. I know tesco do them :D

I buy a little tin and add them but I used to only make it for me. So maybe a medium sized one and taste till you are happy with it :D

i have frozen pasta and rice, just mixed well with the sauce part of the dish. Rice can be a difficult food when it comes to reheating in the same way chicken. Always reheat until piping hot and allow it to cool down but otherwise you'll be fine.

I make a lot of tomato sauce and freeze in multiple different sized pots so I can get just what I need out for pasta dishes, adding to chili or cottage pie and really dinky pots for putting on homemade pizzas. If thats the sort of thing you'd have a go at, let me know and ill post recipe.

ive got the mince, chilli beans, chilli powder, onions and garlic... anything else?
do i just throw it all in together?

how did the chili go kim? did you have a go?

Kazzie, sorry I was a bit slack getting on here with the recipe...

Yummy tomato sauce for everything and anything
1tbsp olive oil
3 tins chopped tomatos
1 onion diced
3ish cloves of garlic chopped
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
1tsp sugar
1/4 - 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
Big handfull fresh basil

Add the onion to the olive oil until well softened. Don't rush this bit. Add the garlic for a short while. Add the toms, vinegar, sugar and chili flakes. Cook for as around 45 minutes on the hob. Add the fresh basil towards the end of cooking.

This is a very forgiving recipe and I have played about with it and so long as you have the vinegar, sugar and chili flakes and basil you can't really go wrong. It won't hurt if it cooks for less than 45mins. I have cooked it in a casserole dish instead of on the hob whenever the oven just happens to be on. I've added chopped vegetables (courgette and red pepper in tonights batch). If you want a smooth sauce, blitz, if not, leave it lumpy.

Had half with penne tonight (served two adults and james for dinner, plus left overs for lunch for me and a couple of baby portions) I have a small pot in the freezer which will be used for pizza topping. I have another big portion for adding to whatever takes my fancy: cottage pie, chili, lasagne etc. Or i could throw in some more veggies, some bacon or mushrooms, mascarpone cheese or serve it plain again. In short, a little bit of effort to put it together but makes heaps and there is always a quick and easy dinner in the freezer!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back