help need re home made food

clairescunny55

Reaction score
I've taken the plunge of deciding to make my own food for ryan as it should be cheaper, healthier for him, and will also get the rest of the family eating more fruit and veg. Plus i enjoy cooking! Tonight i made roast chicken, mash, carrots, suede in a little bit of gravy and he loved it! :cheer: i felt so satisfied knowing that i knew every ingredient what was in his food and cant believe i havent done this sooner! I even had enough left over to freeze some. So really i want to know, what do i need to be doing this full time? Do i need a blender? And where can i get some recipes? Did your baby prefer homemade to jars? thanks

I've taken the plunge of deciding to make my own food for ryan as it should be cheaper, healthier for him, and will also get the rest of the family eating more fruit and veg. Plus i enjoy cooking! Tonight i made roast chicken, mash, carrots, suede in a little bit of gravy and he loved it! :cheer: i felt so satisfied knowing that i knew every ingredient what was in his food and cant believe i havent done this sooner! I even had enough left over to freeze some. So really i want to know, what do i need to be doing this full time? Do i need a blender? And where can i get some recipes? Did your baby prefer homemade to jars? thanks

hi hun i bought a liquidiser as had a blender but didnt get it totally blended on some of the harder foods such as apple, pear etc. i al;so have the annabel karmel 100 baby purees book which goes up in stages as to what to introduce but i just make what i think sounds good. i freeze mine in ice cube trays and then put them in freezer bags with labels and defrost the amount i need every morning, they last for 6 weeks in freezer. i used jars first time round and personally couldnt stand the smell of most of them but with making my own every meal she has i think smells gorgeous and i always cook it for the family. her favs are fish n cheesy sauce with veg, chicken casserole, chicken n apple n veg, cauliflower cheese and potato, carrot nd sweetcorn. i havent come across a fruit puree she doesnt like yet she loves them all. i thought it would be harder work but most the time i decide to cook one thing and do loads extra or i have a cooking day and just cook her meals and freeze them but this then lasts for about 4-6 weeks with just 1 day of cooking, it is sooooo much cheaper also.

xxxxx

hi hun i bought a liquidiser as had a blender but didnt get it totally blended on some of the harder foods such as apple, pear etc. i al;so have the annabel karmel 100 baby purees book which goes up in stages as to what to introduce but i just make what i think sounds good. i freeze mine in ice cube trays and then put them in freezer bags with labels and defrost the amount i need every morning, they last for 6 weeks in freezer. i used jars first time round and personally couldnt stand the smell of most of them but with making my own every meal she has i think smells gorgeous and i always cook it for the family. her favs are fish n cheesy sauce with veg, chicken casserole, chicken n apple n veg, cauliflower cheese and potato, carrot nd sweetcorn. i havent come across a fruit puree she doesnt like yet she loves them all. i thought it would be harder work but most the time i decide to cook one thing and do loads extra or i have a cooking day and just cook her meals and freeze them but this then lasts for about 4-6 weeks with just 1 day of cooking, it is sooooo much cheaper also.

xxxxx

I've got a blender and used it for all his food to start with, but now I've introduced lumps I don't use it all the time. To start with I just have him pureed fruit & veg.....started off with just one thing like carrot, then once he got used to that would add something else like parsnip. I make soup (that everyone can eat - I don't cook anything with salt anyway) in batches and freeze some of that. I haven't really cooked that many things that need recipes yet (except the soup which I just knew, or can get online) but hopefully will just be giving him the same as what we eat soon. If you're stuck for recipes, there are loads of sites that will give you ideas - there's also a thread on here that has some good ones xx

I've got a blender and used it for all his food to start with, but now I've introduced lumps I don't use it all the time. To start with I just have him pureed fruit & veg.....started off with just one thing like carrot, then once he got used to that would add something else like parsnip. I make soup (that everyone can eat - I don't cook anything with salt anyway) in batches and freeze some of that. I haven't really cooked that many things that need recipes yet (except the soup which I just knew, or can get online) but hopefully will just be giving him the same as what we eat soon. If you're stuck for recipes, there are loads of sites that will give you ideas - there's also a thread on here that has some good ones xx

Hi hun :hug:

Well done for deciding to cook yourself.
But, I don' t know if you know, but it is not recommended to give babies meat/salt/dairy till they are 6 months old. And Ryan is just over 4...

Just to let you know :hug:

Good luck with weaning
xxxCarina

Hi hun :hug:

Well done for deciding to cook yourself.
But, I don' t know if you know, but it is not recommended to give babies meat/salt/dairy till they are 6 months old. And Ryan is just over 4...

Just to let you know :hug:

Good luck with weaning
xxxCarina

I give Jake mainly home made food. it works out so much cheaper :D

You arent meant to give them gravy at this age tho hun, it has a high salt content :hug:

I give Jake mainly home made food. it works out so much cheaper :D

You arent meant to give them gravy at this age tho hun, it has a high salt content :hug:

i made him a baby gravy with just cornflour and vegtable stock, so easy!

i made him a baby gravy with just cornflour and vegtable stock, so easy!

I don't bother with giving him our mushed dinners unless I've made something good in cooking that week.. I just give him jars.

I do make fruit purees for him though, and I have a blender (quite a cheap one - I got it for £15)

http://www.matalan.co.uk/pages/product- ... ie-blender

and some storage bowls/tubs from Asda in the baby weaning section - 6 for £1.50 or something like that.

I use the 'Annabel Karmel - top 100 baby purees' recipe book although her recipes do start from 6 months.

clairescunny55 said:
been looking on cow and gate website at recipes and they use meat?

Well, that is what I was recommended by health visitor and heard in many other places. You probably can start using meat/fish/dairy close to 6 months. Their tummies are too frigile to have any heavy food at 4 months, and meat is quite a heavy food.
But it is up to you. :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back